QT problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishing

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had a yellow longnose butterfly in qt for 10 days now. He had no ich on him when I first got him. However, he is now covered with ich.The funny thing is the SG is 1.008-9, the temp is set at 82 degrees and there is coppersafe in the water. He still eats pretty good but I don't understand why he would get ich under these conditions. Could someone help? By the way, there's no carbonate substrate on the bottom nor charcoal in the filter. Which is better, coppersafe or cupramine?

How are you measuring the salinity, refractometer or hydrometer? FWIW, you are playing with fire utilizing both these treatments at the same time. If pH is not monitored religiously, low/drops in pH can cause copper to become more available and eventually toxic. It is generally recommended to use one or the other, both used together can often kill the fish faster than the ailment being treated. I would also let the temp drop closer to 80°, you are doing the fish's immune system no favor by raising the temp.

What type of copper are you using, what is the treatment level in the QT and how often is it being tested?

fishing said:
Which is better, coppersafe or cupramine?
Cupramine hands down.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom