question about my filter and heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gingimaru

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all

i am setting up a new tank to move my betta and tetra into. already doing a fishless cycle and will drop my ceramics from my old tank into this one in thenear future to help it along.

however my question is that the tank i bought came with a filter and as such on the back of the hood has a hole for it which means it goes in a certain place. because of this the heater needs to go to one side as it cant fit in the middle properly unless you put it at a funny angle (which i know you shouldnt do). will this affect the temperature of one side of the tank? or should it be fine to heat the whole tank even though its not in the middle?

this is my new tank
http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/a...ldfish-set-35-litre-and-cabinet-complete.html

I suggest you put the heater in the back wall in the corner. Your pump will circulate the water uniformly throughout the tank. Place your thermometer in the opposit side of the tank in the front corner, so you can read it easily. Use the thermometer for temp.regulation of the heater.

Hi,
Heaters are not designed to be vertically placed, they should be at a certain angle as most heaters thermostats are at the top. Some heaters will work fine in a vertical position while others will not heat the tank to the required temp, as the heat rises it trips the thermostat and tells the heater it is already at the preset temp.
It shouldn't matter where you put your heater in the tank it will heat all the water in it. As long as you have a heater powerful enough for the size of tank you have. Also the filter in the tank will will help move the water round and thus ensure all the water is heated.
Hope this helps.

yes thanks very much just wanted to make sure as with our current tank the heater is smack in the middle. just wanted to make sure for this one really

Guinness said:
Hi,
Heaters are not designed to be vertically placed, they should be at a certain angle as most heaters thermostats are at the top. Some heaters will work fine in a vertical position while others will not heat the tank to the required temp, as the heat rises it trips the thermostat and tells the heater it is already at the preset temp.
helps.

I have an Aqueon 100w in a vertical position... I thought this was how they're supposed to be placed and some people had them crooked or sideways because they did care how it looked! LOL
My heater turns on and then goes off... I have to set it to 84-88 to even come close to 80... But at other times it will go to 84 and show green light... It's supposed to be red light for on and heating and green for at desired temp... But in those instances when it turns off too soon it goes black/no light... Is this why or is a heater I've only had 4 mths burning out?

IMO, if I were you I would position your heater on a slight angle either say 2 o'clock or 10 o'clock and see how or if it makes a difference. My experience with heaters apart from the very expensive ones is that you do have to set them slightly higher to what the actual required temp you want. I bought a cheap 300w heater and I wanted to maintain a steady 27 degrees. I had to set the heater to 31 degrees to even get it it close. I have since brought a more expensive fluval heater I set it to 27 degrees and that is what it heats the water too without any issues. It might be a faulty heater but I would think the above will solve your problem. Give it a go see how you get on. You can google your problem also to get other opinions and solutions. But it sounds like its tripping out.
Do you have much flow in the tank? Try placing the heater in direct flow so that the heater is constantly having water pushed past it. This will help the heater maintain the correct temp. If you try it and it doesn't work you can take it back to the retailer. :)

Guinness said:
Ocminpin

Did you try what I said? And has it made a difference? I would be interested to know. ;-)

YES I DID! The heater was able to reach a higher temp but it doesn't stay steady... It's set at 88 and it goes from 82-86 randomly. ( I'm treating ich)
I have a new heater I ordered yesterday already shipped from eBay 150w for $10.71 free shipping. Great seller... It will arrive tomorrow.
If Its as good as it says I'll be buying more... They have 200w did $12!!

Well half way there then lol. Do you have much flow in the tank from the filter? That could be why it's not keeping a steady temp. Just a thought. If the filter isn't pushing the water past the heater fast enough it will take longer to heat up and start to cool before it is pushed round again. If that makes sense lol.
That's a good price for a heater, not sure what it works out to in uk pounds I think it's about £9 still a very good buy.

Back
Top Bottom