Questions on African Cichlids, Just got my first fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a Lab, is that a cichlid?

At the store they had an algae eater in one of the cichlid tanks, it was the only non cichlid I saw mixed with them.........Would one of those become food for my guys once they grow?

Duh, and thats one of the ones I've got. Ok.

lol As Mike points out, every African is different. But in general labs are pretty docile. Just watch for aggression. In a tank that size, you'll experience it.

the thing is if you get a male and a female lab, your male will most likely kill anything else,
the best bet in this smaller community case would have been to buy all adult males and introduce them in together. unfortunatly not always possible.
for reference, what exactly are the dimensions on a 30gal tall tank?

Well its a hexagon tank. Its 10" wide on all six sides (so if you measure across its 19" wide), 25" tall and 19" deep.

I don't even know the gender of these, they just picked out one of each color from the assorted tank.

I think with smaller tank you will ultimately run into a dilemma: you need a few more mbuna to offset the aggression, but the tank is too small for adequate numbers to sucessfully co-exist long term.

As previously mentioned, mbuna are aggressive fish requiring adequate area to establish territories as well as sufficient room to flee from an aggressor (with mbuna, tank length is more important than tank height). Lacking area, small tanks have a way of enhancing aggression (a hyperdominant mbuna can easily claim the entire 30-gal as its exclusive territory).

Additionally, mbuna in general do better in larger groups. Small numbers (such as a trio) make it difficult to balance aggression when it manifests itself. Larger groups (10+), for example, permit the existence of rivals & numerous targets, etc, and basically reduce the odds of a single fish being the sole receipient of aggression.

Worse case scenario: with a trio it is practically assured that one fish will be the undisputed 'tank boss' (likely the red zebra), and one will be at the bottom of the totem pole (likely the yellow lab), and at risk of being eliminated in mbuna fashion. If that happens, then the middle fish becomes lowest ranking fish by default and the episode repeats itself leaving a sole survivor.

But it's not all grim. Your fish can probably 'peacefully' co-exist in the current tank until they get about 2.5" (but they grow fast). You could probably trade in the zebras and go with a small group of yellow labs in that tank (it may have a better chance of working out since they're level of aggression is usually low, but they're still mbuna so there's no guarantee). If possible, prepare to get a larger tank (55gal+).

Incidently, I've seen some mbuna exceed the nominal 'max size' a few times (6" thickly-built older red zebras and cobalts).

IME the zebras get very aggresive and claim large territories - since you have a high tank and not a tall one, the floor space will be very limited for their claims as they get older. Once maturity hits, you'll be dealing with fighting - especially in that size of tank. When young, they all get along very well but be ready for things to change drastically once they reach roughly 3 inches long.

I ventured down the same road you are on, started a tank with fish and then got cichlids... a lot of them - all without doing any research. The best thing you can do is read info on this site and take the advice here to heart. I even tried to mix Africans and American cichlids - they all got along GREAT... for a while. I now have 2 cichlids in my 36g - a zebra and a texas. They are both mature and battle quite often and I'm trying to find a new home for the zebra.

If it were me, I'd see if I could bring the fish back to the store, do a full fishless cycle and during that time, research the different types of fish that could live together in that tank. Once your cycle is done and your research has been ongoing, you should have a much better understanding of everything involved and your success will be much much higher in the long run.

~moved to the cichlid forum~

In the Sticky in this forum, you will find four links to sites I have found most helpful in keeping cichlids.

Hex tanks add an extra problem since it will cut down on swimming room and all these fish will fight over the lower territory when they mature.

The other day I bought babies from an "assorted african cichlid mix pseudotropheus spp" it says on sign, but matching them up to the "grown up" counterparts
These are mixed cichlids and not what you have matched them up with. They may or may not look like the adults later—colors will change, finage won’t look quite right, mouth shaping may be off…. Any time you see “assorted” cichlids, that probably means they are cross breeds and therefore sold cheaply. Most Mbuna are easy to breed and due to the relatively short time frame in which they evolved, they can and will easily interbreed.

I did confirm, the sign said they will grow to a max of 4.5"
NEVER go by the sign in the petstore for assorted cichlids. Zebras easily reach 6+ inches and I say that as I look at my "assorted" zebras that are now living in an 80 gal tank. Many of us have done the "assorted" cheap cichlids because of their great colors and seemingly docile personalities. Take the advice given to you and research these fish--have a back up plan for when sexual maturity hits (you don't know what sex ration you have) and be prepared to separate them if needed.

going by the formula of 1" per gallon on tropicals is it a stretch to try and keep 6 or 7 of these together in total in the 30 gallon tank? Assuming they survive, there is no guarentee they'll actually get that big, 4.5" right?
1" per gallon is a rule of thumb when dealing with peaceful community fish--not semi aggressive fish. Assuming they survive, assume they will get bigger than 4.5 inches over their lifetime.

The other thing you need to be aware of is food. These fish evolved mainly as vegetarians and are prone to blockage if fed too much protein. Once a week, it’s a good idea to substitute their flake or pellets for veggies (there’s an article in the articles section on how to prepare and serve the veggies—start with zucchini, since that seems to be a favorite of every cichlid I know).

Mmmmm... Im starting to think these were a mistake.

I was lured by the bright colors. I found many of the community fish to be 'boring' looking.

For now the 3 in there are behaving well and looking healthy, but I do understand where you are coming from in regards to them fighting for lower tank space later, which is currently small in a hexagon tank.

dmac said:
going by the formula of 1" per gallon on tropicals is it a stretch to try and keep 6 or 7 of these together in total in the 30 gallon tank? Assuming they survive, there is no guarentee they'll actually get that big, 4.5" right?

The store did not have Bio-spira, so I bought cycle, the guy said it was still a worthwile additive. I also bought some plant fertilizer.

Point #1: No such thing as a 1" per gal rule with cichlids. Their territories are rather large, and will kill if necessary.

Point #2: Cycle is worthless. The only thing that truely works is Bio Spira, and that's only if you get a good batch. The only other product that may be worth while is API Stress Zyme. I'm undergoing testing with it on another tank ( A friends 30G). With no help from other tanks, cycled in under 2 weeks. That could be another alternative.

yeah Dmac i understand your excitment, if you insist on keeping the fish in an uncycled tank you will need to do large daily water changes and get a liquid test kit to keep the levels safe for the fish. If you kill all your fish then you 1. wasted your money 2. obviously just killed "cheap" fish, but their lives are still as precious as a $200 dollar discus 3. eliminated your bacteria feeders. Without fish you cant produce amonnia and so forth.

well, they're still alive and seem healthy, but as predicted they are starting to get territorial.......I noticed that occasionally the middle sized red zebra is chasing the smallest of the 3, the yellow lab away , and even more frequently the blue zebra, the largest of the 3, is harassing the red zebra....I actually feel bad for the red zebra as it seeks refuge in the plants..............Am I out of options this late, or will a pet store take them?

They also rarely leave the bottom 1/3 of the tank, enjoying hiding in the plants and rocks, they only seem to go up top or middle to eat....This will be a major problem in a 30g tall later.....

I am thinking everyone was right and I am better off with community or semi agressive tropical fish rather than cichlids.

Try calling the lfs and asking. Some will take them back, some won't. They may not give you anything for them though.

Yeah I don't expect a refund. I only want them to live in peace....

That's good to hear. Most people do not realize that they can not house the fish that they want. Now you'll just have to buy a bigger tank. :D MTS will eventually settle in.

Back
Top Bottom