Ram cichlid tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wuzzupghost

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been thinking of getting a ram cichlid for my 20 regular. Some other fish I want to add are 3 guppies, 5 neon tetras, and two mystery snails. I have heard that ram cichlids are very peaceful fish but would like to check with anyone who has had experience keeping them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That should be fine with a ram. Maybe keep a pair of them m/f there is little aggression really from them and they have some very cool spawning rituals.

I keep black neon tetras, rosey tetras, platys and cherry barbs with my ram pair and they're fine. I just notice that the tetras will cluster up when the Rams spawn which is a normal defensive habit

Keep in mind you need to keep the water around 27-30 degrees Celsius for Rams and Rams like acidic water. I keep mine around 6.5-6 (fluctuates with my co2) so the guppys may not like the water that acidic or hot but are easily adaptable fish. I have juvie platys which adapted from an alkaline tank of around 7.3-7.4 to my current system.

How long has the tank been running? What are your options for purchasing said ram?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As long as your tank is established, they should be just fine.

I have a pair in my 36 bow stocked with 13 neon tetra's and 6 guppies. From what I read everywhere, the do prefer the lower PH water, however, My PH is at 8.0. I maintain a temp of 78-79 and all the fish appear to be happy. They are happy enough to have spawned last week.

Here is a nice pic from this morning of the daddy

Attachments

• IMG_20150102_113033.jpg
    IMG_20150102_113033.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 124
My tank is still in cycle with no fish. I plan on introducing all the others maybe two or three at a time after the cycle is complete and add the ram or rams last.

Wuzzupghost sound like a good plan just don't be in too much of a hurry to get the rams in your tank. They can be very picky at times in regards to the water perameters. I personally had horrible luck with them. I still to this day don't know what went wrong .:what:

Wuzzupghost sound like a good plan just don't be in too much of a hurry to get the rams in your tank. They can be very picky at times in regards to the water perameters. I personally had horrible luck with them. I still to this day don't know what went wrong .:what:

Good call. A big issue with these fish is poor breeding and genetics. I've heard most of the main stream gbr are loaded with hormones which makes them look cool but weakens them long term. In my previous post in asked the op where they plan to aquire said rams? If you can find locally bred stock chances are they will adapt to your tank just fine. If not look into yunite on ebay, his rams are said to be extremely well bred and resilient.

Thanks for the heads up brookster I'll look in to in

a BABY black ghost knife might be fine until it reached 3+ inches (then you have to upgrade or say goodbye to your guppies and neons).Knife fish are intelligent and playful creatures (at night unless they are used to feeding during daylight hours).They love to eat and can be easily trained to be handfed.The downside is that they will need a 100 gallon tank when full grown (it takes approximately 6-10 years to reach that size).

a BABY black ghost knife might be fine until it reached 3+ inches (then you have to upgrade or say goodbye to your guppies and neons).Knife fish are intelligent and playful creatures (at night unless they are used to feeding during daylight hours).They love to eat and can be easily trained to be handfed.The downside is that they will need a 100 gallon tank when full grown (it takes approximately 6-10 years to reach that size).

Why a knife fish???

Blue Rams are peaceful when not breeding. When breeding, they're territorial, but not killers.

If you do a pair in a 20 regular, I would stick to tank mates that occupy the upper third of the tank (and can take 80-86 F). Hatchets, for example. Single Rams tend to be less colorful and you won't get the fun paired behavior, but there will be more tank mate flexibility. Cardinal Tetra, Rummynose Tetra, and Sterbai Cory will handle 80-82 F.

BTW, if you don't have an eBay account, you can order directly from Yunite's web site (though you still need PayPal).

Easy to care for (not counting the tank size), Personality,Looks, a lot of things...

So you're suggesting a knife fish for a 20 gal ram tank?

Get a bolivian ram as they are much hardier and less sensitive. I've watched to pair of GBR die of unknown reasons and it sucks ?

Bolivians will also tolerate mid/upper-70s F, which makes them compatible with more tankmates.

Thanks everyone. and about the knife fish. I like them a lot but don't want to worry about upgrading or relocating. Maybe one day but right now I'm sticking with my 20 regular and nothing else

Think I'm just gonna get one ram I choose rams because they are a peaceful fish that u don't see in everyone's a aquarium and I wanted a center piece like the king of the tank. But who knows I got a while to decide.

Well, for a 20 i think you should get a few porthole catfish and some spotted raphael cats.
I have the links here.

Spotted Raphael Catfish | Agamyxis pectinifrons | PetSolutions

Flagtail Porthole Catfish | Dianema urostriata for Sale | PetSolutions

Are you serious?!?! Those are ridiculous fish to suggest go in a 20 gallon tank. This forum promotes "responsible" stocking. your suggestions unreasonable.. . Stop posting. .

Well, for a 20 i think you should get a few porthole catfish and some spotted raphael cats.
I have the links here.

Spotted Raphael Catfish | Agamyxis pectinifrons | PetSolutions

Flagtail Porthole Catfish | Dianema urostriata for Sale | PetSolutions

This is the second time I've seen that you couldn't have recommended a more horrible matchup for fish to tanks. But at least it was in the same thread. I would suggest some more QUALITY research before posting these kind of things in the future.

Are you serious?!?! Those are ridiculous fish to suggest go in a 20 gallon tank. This forum promotes "responsible" stocking. your suggestions unreasonable.. . Stop posting. .

Great catch (again). And advice.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom