Ram cichlid tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I have responded to others before, I think it is inappropriate to keep only one individual of a species, if not actually cruel. The vast majority of fish live in pairs or groups. One fish of a kind might survive well but it is unkind to do so. By the way, the singular of species is species. A specie is a gold coin.

Sent from my iPod touch
using Aquarium Advice
Rlederer

I had a blue ram with 8 neons 4 candy cane tetras and 4 corys. He would keep to himself or hang with my neons. Good luck

As I have responded to others before, I think it is inappropriate to keep only one individual of a species, if not actually cruel. The vast majority of fish live in pairs or groups. One fish of a kind might survive well but it is unkind to do so. By the way, the singular of species is species. A specie is a gold coin.

Sent from my iPod touch
using Aquarium Advice
Rlederer

So all of the folks who keep one pleco, one beta, or one RT Shark are being cruel? I don't think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sent from my iPod touch
using Aquarium Advice
Rlederer

Where are you getting this information??

I'm an indivudual!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow! Ok. Thread is heading South fast.

Now for reasonable stocking suggestions.
Cardinal Tetras would be my first thought.

With a single Ram you could try Cories, with a pair ? Probably not.

While Hatchets are awesome fish they need VERY tight lids. Floating plants may also help them feel safe.

And I'm glad the OP is doing research and understands that it is best to stock fish that fit the tank he has now.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you want a cute, fun to watch little fish (i just got one today) ---> UPSIDE DOWN CATFISH!

This is the second time I've seen that you couldn't have recommended a more horrible matchup for fish to tanks. But at least it was in the same thread. I would suggest some more QUALITY research before posting these kind of things in the future.

Great catch (again). And advice.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!
Why not?

Oh dear child... Google your little bum off.. Google and Google some more!! Right side up catfish like groups. . I'd imagine same goes for their inverted brethren. .

Oh dear child... Google your little bum off.. Google and Google some more!! Right side up catfish like groups. . I'd imagine same goes for their inverted brethren. .

Raph cats are too LAZY to school.

Wow I've seen threads stray but this just got all Twilight Zone. Lol.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Raph cats are too LAZY to school.

You Lung, are missing the point. Stop suggesting fish that get too large for a 20g tank.

Raphaels hit 6" !!! Plus they are super shy and you almost never see them. Min suggested tank size is 30g

Please learn the needs of these fish before suggesting them. Buying large fish and putting them in small tanks, is not ethical fish keeping. And many of us love our fish and want to keep them, NOT constantly give them away and hope they find a big enough tank. My fish are not temporary decor. And many of us cannot have larger tanks.

Raphaels do not school, but both of the other Cats mentioned do.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes lol
10 neon tetra
3 guppies
2 ram cichlids
2 mystery snails

Thx for the advice everyone.

Yes lol
10 neon tetra
3 guppies
2 ram cichlids
2 mystery snails

This is almost exactly when i have in my 36. Good choices!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Awesome is there any way u could post a good picture of your tank

Yes lol
10 neon tetra
3 guppies
2 ram cichlids
2 mystery snails

I strongly recommend going with cardinal tetras instead of neons. Cardinals can handle the warmer temperatures that most rams need much better than neons, but have the same behavior and nearly the same coloring. Neons prefer things much cooler and typically are more prone to issues when kept in the 80F+ temps.

Also, the guppies may be hit or miss... If possible, try to get them from a breeder that has them in acidic and warm temperatures. Otherwise you may have high mortality rates if your strain is more used to alkaline & cooler temps. I never had any luck keeping guppies around long term with my rams for this exact reason. If you want an alternative, look at any of the smaller rainbows like Threadfin or any of the Psuedomugil family of rainbows. They're colorful, excellent dithers to help calm the rams, and have neat, eye-catching fin displays when the males are sparring or trying to attract a female :)

I strongly recommend going with cardinal tetras instead of neons. Cardinals can handle the warmer temperatures that most rams need much better than neons, but have the same behavior and nearly the same coloring. Neons prefer things much cooler and typically are more prone to issues when kept in the 80F+ temps.

Also, the guppies may be hit or miss... If possible, try to get them from a breeder that has them in acidic and warm temperatures. Otherwise you may have high mortality rates if your strain is more used to alkaline & cooler temps. I never had any luck keeping guppies around long term with my rams for this exact reason. If you want an alternative, look at any of the smaller rainbows like Threadfin or any of the Psuedomugil family of rainbows. They're colorful, excellent dithers to help calm the rams, and have neat, eye-catching fin displays when the males are sparring or trying to attract a female :)

In your opinion tell me if u think this would work. I get the guppies first and start with a temperature of 76 then every two weeks raise it a degree till it's around 80. Then I get the rams

Back
Top Bottom