rare fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you do get oscars what filtration will you use

Have you got any pictures of the 6x2x2 tank setup I take it it is a 6x2x2

That's a 125 right? And you could try sunfish? They aren't rare but not many people house them in aquariums and there are many beautiful types

So shall I try my hap electra in with an oscar, ive got him in a mbuna tank atm along with a brolyi hap I think thats how u spell it, I was told u cant put haps in with mbuna due to aggression issues but mine get on fine I do get the odd fight in there but they do that anyway

Ill try it see what happens, I thought Oscars can live with other big fish, didn't think they were aggressive to fish their size or bigger.

ive had oscars before in with jack dempsy, green servum, fatherfin catfish, and a geophagus cichlid they all got on fine

Not positive if this is relevant to the conversation, but I would not put jewel cichlids in with the Oscar, I had one that relentlessly tore up his fins and was just a huge disaster

That's a 125 right? And you could try sunfish? They aren't rare but not many people house them in aquariums and there are many beautiful types

We don't have standard tank sizes like you guys in the US

You guys say a 55 125 180 long and you know the exact sizes of a tank

The gals mean nothing to us as the dimmentions could be anything

Most 6ft tanks in the UK are 6x2x2 but not all

We don't have standard tank sizes like you guys in the US

You guys say a 55 125 180 long and you know the exact sizes of a tank

The gals mean nothing to us as the dimmentions could be anything

Most 6ft tanks in the UK are 6x2x2 but not all

Ahh interesting, that's a PIA huh?

I dont go by gallons I do liters or just say what size my tank is in feet

Ahh interesting, that's a PIA huh?

Not a pain for us as we can get go into any lfs and as for any size tank and it can be made up within 1 week

If we want a large tank made we can get it made in our house for a small extra cost by local tank makes

The size of the US compared to the UK it has always puzzled me why you are stuck with standard tank sizes

Yeah making tanks are expensive in the US. Plus acrylic is like the obsession which is more expensive to make I believe. It's good for fish but if your housing a turtle like me acrylic is a no go, it would scratch it up.

Silver dollars do great with oscars. They are low bioload and you need at least 5-6 for them to be comfortable as they are schooling fish. They look nice as a group in the tank. I have 5 soon to be more in my 6' tank with my tiger o. I have a small wild caught o that I'm growing out in another tank that will be joining them soon as well, if the O's will get along. Another interesting thing about the silver dollars is that because oscars only partially digest their food the dollars actually eat the oscar poo. Didnt really believe it until I added mine to the tank and saw it with my very own eyes. Since then I have never seen oscar poo in my tank again. The 30 gallon with the 2-3 inch wild caught looks like a mess between daily ( sometimes 2 days) 50% water changes compared to the 125g with a 12 inch o.

Never new they eat oscar poo, how big do silver dollars get Ive seen some 4"×4" ones they are as deep as they are long aint they.

Does anyone know what what this fish is called I haven't got a picture of it but it loojs like a silver shark but with a stripy red and orange tail it must be the sane family as the silver shark

If you want silver $$

Get the black bar $$$$ they are more rare and much better looking than the normal $$$ or even better than the red hooks

You will find it hard to get food to the oscars with $$$$ as they are super fast

Don't think my ? Was answered what filtration will be used on this 6ft tank ?

And can we see a picture of the setup

Back
Top Bottom