ready to try

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GoneFishing said:
Yup and lights are off..

Lights off is just to keep algae down. They love the ammo just like the moss ball does. If you've got the Marimo ball in there...it's okay if you need to throw the lights on for a while every day.

Good deal. What I would do if you're trying to seed a new piece of media is have the old, seeded filter the first thing the water contacts when it comes in. Have the piece you're trying to establish squeezed right up against it as the second thing the water hits. That way it will throw the beneficial bacteria into the new piece as well as helping establish it through the actual tank.

If it's a nice sized piece of established media that's been in the other tank for a while...I think this is gonna happen fast for you. If you break the record of my guide...maybe you'll give me a good price on some RCS once they start breeding, lol.

Lol definitely. Since my used media is filter floss, I ripped the used in half and kinda layered the pieces.. New layer of floss, used, new, used on top.. im hoping the layering will really help get it going. I would think the floss would be the best option, since it's a polishing media it collects more and houses better? Idk just a thought.

GoneFishing said:
Lol definitely. Since my used media is filter floss, I ripped the used in half and kinda layered the pieces.. New layer of floss, used, new, used on top.. im hoping the layering will really help get it going.

Sounds like you're in good shape. I've probably got 20+ RCS in my 48 gallon...but I never see them unless I stir something up. A guy sold me 20 for $20 a couple months ago...but most were juvies. I think most of them ended up a snack for my Danios and Tetras in the first few minutes, and the ones who survived have basically decided that deep in the Java Moss is the only safe place in the tank, lol. Now that I've got a Bolivian Ram lurking through the tank...I don't think they'll ever come out.

Sounds like you're in good shape. I've probably got 20+ RCS in my 48 gallon...but I never see them unless I stir something up. A guy sold me 20 for $20 a couple months ago...but most were juvies. I think most of them ended up a snack for my Danios and Tetras in the first few minutes, and the ones who survived have basically decided that deep in the Java Moss is the only safe place in the tank, lol. Now that I've got a Bolivian Ram lurking through the tank...I don't think they'll ever come out.

LOL, well I'm sure I'll be able to help. I read that 100-150 can live be in a 10 gallon.. I have a few friends that are wanting some so hopefully I can get a new batch every 3-4 months and keep the breeds strong.

ryan-peddle said:
Amazing how much used media helps my first tank took 2 months to cycle every tank after that took 3-4days because of used media

It can be an absolute savior of your sanity to have seeding material. Problem is, it has to be from a reputable source (getting it from one of your own tanks or a trusted friend is obviously the best way). Any type of disease, parasite, algae, fungus, etc... the media has on it is immediately introduced into yours. PetSmart could offer me every piece of media they have in their store and I'd laugh at them and say I'll wait it out, lol.

BTW, you have my absolute favorite signature on the site, lol.

It can be an absolute savior of your sanity to have seeding material. Problem is, it has to be from a reputable source (getting it from one of your own tanks or a trusted friend is obviously the best way). Any type of disease, parasite, algae, fungus, etc... the media has on it is immediately introduced into yours. PetSmart could offer me every piece of media they have in their store and I'd laugh at them and say I'll wait it out, lol.

This is by far the best thing anyone could do for their aquarium and fish. While fishless cycling can be dull to look at, everyone should be happy that they can say their fish are healthy and alive.

eco23 said:

For sure I keep double floss filters in all my tanks so I have extra for new tanks and so I can share with family and friends. Thanks my signature is very true lol everything I buy is to give away, on sale or 20 bucks lol

For sure I keep double floss filters in all my tanks so I have extra for new tanks and so I can share with family and friends. Thanks my signature is very true lol everything I buy is to give away, on sale or 20 bucks lol

I love the idea of double filters on a tank, thanks to that I can get my 10 established much quicker. no need for a double on the 10 not enough waste for the two. I do need to get another Aquaclear for my 29 and get rid of my crappy top fin 30, or keep it as a spare.

ryan-peddle said:

Sure. I guess your wife must be checking in...Hi Mrs. Peddle! Hahaha

GoneFishing said:
I love the idea of double filters on a tank, thanks to that I can get my 10 established much quicker. no need for a double on the 10 not enough waste for the two. I do need to get another Aquaclear for my 29 and get rid of my crappy top fin 30, or keep it as a spare.

It's aways a good idea to have one an additional filter running in case you need to set up a QT or a hospital tank. I've got a Fluval 405 canister filter, but I've got it so jammed packed not only with the true ceramic bio-media, but also a ton of old filter pads, that I could just break out my old HOB from the basement, throw in the spare media and have a QT set up in about 10 minutes. Petco has a sale on 10 gallon tanks for around $13, so it's never a bad idea to keep an extra one stashed away in the closet with a spare heater and cheap light just in case you ever need it.

Great idea and if you keep a spare running on your dirtiest tank and just fill it with lots of extra floss cause if you have mts like me you will thank yourself and like Eco said also good for qt lol lol lol I just laughed so hard I woke mrs peddle up

It's aways a good idea to have one an additional filter running in case you need to set up a QT or a hospital tank. I've got a Fluval 405 canister filter, but I've got it so jammed packed not only with the true ceramic bio-media, but also a ton of old filter pads, that I could just break out my old HOB from the basement, throw in the spare media and have a QT set up in about 10 minutes. Petco has a sale on 10 gallon tanks for around $13, so it's never a bad idea to keep an extra one stashed away in the closet with a spare heater and cheap light just in case you ever need it.

One thought on this since, reading the cycle guide. How can you set up a QT in 10 min? If when I set my tank up I still had to cycle it? Is it cause the fish alone wont produce the bio output high enough to cause a spike?

I find this works if I move the whole spare filter and some floss over to qt get it running then transfer fish the next day but that's just me

GoneFishing said:
One thought on this since, reading the cycle guide. How can you set up a QT in 10 min? If when I set my tank up I still had to cycle it? Is it cause the fish alone wont produce the bio output high enough to cause a spike?

Yeah, having an entire spare filter up and running on an established tank (such as 2 HOB's, or a canister filter and an HOB) is kind of over-kill, but it gives you the option to basically instantly set up a small tank in an emergency.

Adding just a piece of filter media will help and work if the bio-load is low enough...but it can still be a gamble and has to be considered an uncycled tank until it proves it is stable.

Tested the water and the ammo is still at 1.5ppm. I think I'll run another test tonight since I won't be home all day tomorrow..

It has begun! 39 hrs into the cycle and the Ammo has started to drop, from 1.5ppm to less than 1ppm.. I'm gonna try to let it drop around .25-.50ppm then bump it back up to about a 2. That was fast for the ammo to drop hopefully I beat Eco's time for a cycle!

GoneFishing said:
It has begun! 39 hrs into the cycle and the Ammo has started to drop, from 1.5ppm to less than 1ppm.. I'm gonna try to let it drop around .25-.50ppm then bump it back up to about a 2. That was fast for the ammo to drop hopefully I beat Eco's time for a cycle!

Awesome :). Don't be afraid to dose it back up sooner. I'm not sure what the record for heavily seeded media is...I'll have to look back and see. I'm thinking it was 5-7 days. My personal record is 20 days, and that was with minimal seeded media.

Back
Top Bottom