Rearranged cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you... And yea it's crazy how smart they actually are... And he's spoiled he gets 2-3 fish every week - 3 weeks... Well I do lol

It's also very funny to my buddies when I say I got my fish trained or I tell them I got a new fish and can't go out partying bc I have to make sure it doesn't get bullied... I'm only 21 so all my friends are still into all the clubbing and staying out all night

My kids love the fish too! Here's my little dude helping with a wc on the African Tank :D

Attachments

• image-4088049326.jpg
    image-4088049326.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 69
I can't wait for my son to get that big...

And I don't have to do water changes I lose about 15% water a week from it evaporating or w.e it does... So I just add new water...

Djsilentchild said:
I can't wait for my son to get that big...

And I don't have to do water changes I lose about 15% water a week from it evaporating or w.e it does... So I just add new water...

They are fun at this age & grow way too fast! Enjoy em while they are small ;D

I have to do wc on the Africans every 3 days due to the amount of stock to keep trAtes in check. I don't have n e evap either... Maybe cuz of the hoods?? Idk lol.

I have 9 Africans 1 hap and 1 chiclid... But my screen is stainless steel mesh... It's pretty nice and I have a cheap light fixture that came with my iguana tank... If u notice I have white tape on the top of my tank... That's Incase I forget to add water then it won't show a water/scum line...

Also I only ran my tank 24 hours before putting 2 plecos, 8 goldfish and 4 cichlids in... The woman at the lfs said I wouldn't keep my Africans longer then 2 weeks and its been 4 months now... Just can't keep and algae eaters alive longer then 2-3 weeks... I put a Cory catfish in today with one mystery snail to help with debris and algae..

_skyla_ said:
Aww cute i took one of my son helping me do one this morning

I wish my son would hurry up and grow... Hopefully I can get him into tanks early and he can pay some of his college tuition ... Hehe

I wish my son would hurry up and grow... Hopefully I can get him into tanks early and he can pay some of his college tuition ... Hehe

Trust me, don't say that too loud. We used to say the same about our daughter, and now nothing is safe in our house and we find her on tables, climbing into the dog crate, etc.

Also, about not doing a water change, you still want to do water changes even with the evaporation. When the water evaporates, it doesn't get rid of built up toxins in the water, it just concentrates them more. Our tanks evaporate about 4-5" of water per week, and we still do a water change then fill back up.

KryptiCouple said:
Trust me, don't say that too loud. We used to say the same about our daughter, and now nothing is safe in our house and we find her on tables, climbing into the dog crate, etc.

Also, about not doing a water change, you still want to do water changes even with the evaporation. When the water evaporates, it doesn't get rid of built up toxins in the water, it just concentrates them more. Our tanks evaporate about 4-5" of water per week, and we still do a water change then fill back up.

+1. Wc's are essential :D

Lol... And I'll start doing them weekly... I was doing them every 2 weeks Orr when I vacuum the sand

New tank additions... None of my fish are bothering them... This is why I love my chiclids

Attachments

• image-4056835012.jpg
    image-4056835012.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 60
  • image-2518772412.jpg
    image-2518772412.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 58
He doesn't need salt at this time... And I have aquarium salt in the tank... It's not much... But when he gets bigger I will move him to another tank...

Djsilentchild said:
He doesn't need salt at this time... And I have aquarium salt in the tank... It's not much... But when he gets bigger I will move him to another tank...

You need marine salt ;) like Instant Ocean ;D

Ahhh... Ty... Will a 1 gallon hold him off for a little while?!? And the puffer was with blood parrot cichlids at Walmart ...

Djsilentchild said:
Ahhh... Ty... Will a 1 gallon hold him off for a little while?!? And the puffer was with blood parrot cichlids at Walmart ...

Yea, I see em at my Walmart sometimes. Sucks they label them fw. How long are we talkin? 1g is tiny... I suppose if we were talkin overnight that would probably be ok. I'd go back to Walmart n get a 5g till you can get something else. 5g r cheap. I don't know much about these ones but I know dwarf puffers can live in a 5g for life I'm pretty sure.

Also they need to be fed snails to trim they're beaks ;) I'm getting a porcupine puffer for my 150g sw build. I'm so excited! Puffers are cool lil dudes!

Last edited:

Many fish stores that don't truly know fish will mix the wrong types of fish together while they are in the store. I used to work in a pet store, and I had to rearrange all of my tanks because there were all sorts of fish mixed together that shouldn't have been. Just because it's done in a store doesn't mean it should be done. I'm gonna recommend before you buy another fish, double check online and see the compatibility with your current tank. Not saying it to be mean, I've been there. Our first cichlid was put in with our community tank because that's what we were told would be OK.

KryptiCouple said:
Many fish stores that don't truly know fish will mix the wrong types of fish together while they are in the store. I used to work in a pet store, and I had to rearrange all of my tanks because there were all sorts of fish mixed together that shouldn't have been. Just because it's done in a store doesn't mean it should be done. I'm gonna recommend before you buy another fish, double check online and see the compatibility with your current tank. Not saying it to be mean, I've been there. Our first cichlid was put in with our community tank because that's what we were told would be OK.

Me to. I had a couple tetra with missing eyes nxt morning than i found this group tg.walmart dont even know what kinda fish they got. Let alone much about them. I got a syno catfish from walmart n they labled him a pleco.

Back
Top Bottom