Recommendation: Brichardi (Neolamprologous) or Kribensis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlieu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking to add one of these pairs to a planted 29g.

Currently it houses 4 Zebra Danios, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, and 2 Amanos. Plants are Corkscrew Vals, Dwarf Sag, Rotala, and various Mosses. Two large driftwoods.

I was just wondering what everyone's recommendation would be based on personality/character of each breed.

Read extensively about both breeds and they both seem like they would be enjoyable to have in the tank with some minor changes. Some cave-like structures would need to be added for both.

For Brichardis, most likely most of the fauna would have to be moved (which I have another tank available for them to go to). They also seem to have a higher reputation for uprooting plants, though not as bad as most Cichlids. Kribensis looks more suited to the current set-up as is with a preference for softer water. My natural tap is ~ 7.8 or so (Kentucky clay and limestone for you...).

My LFS has some juvie Brichardis and Kribensis for ~$7 or so, they also have a 'mated pair' of Kribensis for $25. In such situation, would it be wiser to obtain the pair or juvies? I read somewhere that its not too difficult to get Kribs paired up unlike most cichlids.

Thank you!

Yeah, just regular Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher). I personally like the Brichardis, but wifey is leaning toward the Kribs for their coloration...lol.

Well I'm not sure about the others, are they a species if krib? But for kribs, I know that pairs can e a bit aggressive at times but bit overly, so a community tank is good

Well I'm not sure about the others, are they a species if krib? But for kribs, I know that pairs can e a bit aggressive at times but bit overly, so a community tank is good

Yeah, the Kribs look like these guys:
pelvicachromis_pulcher2.jpg

If going with the Kribs...Would it be better to get the 'mated pair' or just get 2-4 and wait for them to pair up by themselves?

Back
Top Bottom