Recycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trail_Mix

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it possible for a tank to recycle? Somehow I think my beneficial bacteria died, since all my water readings are back to high ammonia, and 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. This happened in two of my tanks, what could be the cause??

Trail_Mix said:
Is it possible for a tank to recycle? Somehow I think my beneficial bacteria died, since all my water readings are back to high ammonia, and 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. This happened in two of my tanks, what could be the cause??

Did u wash ur filter media in tapwater?

Yes but I kept the part of the filter where the bacteria is supposed to grow submerged in tank water... I've always done this and it's never been a problem, but now my ammonia levels are through the roof and there's some sort of fungus growing on my driftwood etc. What else are you supposed to do if you have to change the carbon bag?

Also I only changed the filter media on one of my two tanks and this is happening to both of them.

Trail_Mix said:
Yes but I kept the part of the filter where the bacteria is supposed to grow submerged in tank water... I've always done this and it's never been a problem, but now my ammonia levels are through the roof and there's some sort of fungus growing on my driftwood etc. What else are you supposed to do if you have to change the carbon bag?

What did u wash under tap water? The filter or the media? And changing carbon is simple, take it out then replace it with a new one. There could be somethin rooting in ur tank. U should check ur aquarium for any dead bodies.

My filter has a cotton type bag that you put carbon into, and then a piece of spiky plastic where the bacteria are supposed to live I'm pretty sure. I only swapped the cotton bag and carbon, I left the plastic piece submerged. Did I do something wrong?

Well, the bacteria live on the cotton bag as well, but since you left the spiky plastic piece (I never know what that is called either!), it shouldn't have made that much of a difference. BTW, you really don't need to use carbon unless you are removing meds. To me its just an added expense.

Are you sure your tank was cycled in the first place? Are you keeping up with pwc's and testing? Have you either replaced all of your gravel or all of your water? Are you using Prime to dechlor your water before you add it to the tank?

Any dead fish or plants maybe? I just had this happen in one of my tanks as well and never did find the cause. A week of daily pwc's and extra doses of Prime helped bring the ammo back to 0.

Back
Top Bottom