Red bump/pimple on two of my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DukeNukem713

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I have a 30gal planted with 2 dempseys, 1 kribenses, 2 guoramis, a catfish, an eel, a ghost knife, and a clown loach.

today I noticed a red bump/pimple on the side of my kribensis' stomach. He's been acting a bit fishy :brows: but doesnt seem too sick or anything. hes eating alright, but just doesnt seem super active. hes also showing off his colors like normal, however he did lighten up his colors today, which is the first time i've seen him do that since i added the jack dempseys and gouramis to his tank

i also just noticed the same kind of pimple on the face of my guorami. it looks just like a zit! i've noticed no change whatsoever in my guoramis behavior

I would really like to know what this is? I've search google but to no avail. anyone heard of this before?

DukeNukem713 said:
Hi I have a 30gal planted with 2 dempseys, 1 kribenses, 2 guoramis, a catfish, an eel, a ghost knife, and a clown loach.

today I noticed a red bump/pimple on the side of my kribensis' stomach. He's been acting a bit fishy :brows: but doesnt seem too sick or anything. hes eating alright, but just doesnt seem super active. hes also showing off his colors like normal, however he did lighten up his colors today, which is the first time i've seen him do that since i added the jack dempseys and gouramis to his tank

i also just noticed the same kind of pimple on the face of my guorami. it looks just like a zit! i've noticed no change whatsoever in my guoramis behavior

I would really like to know what this is? I've search google but to no avail. anyone heard of this before?

Ok first of all, your stock is completly jacked up. 2 jacks in a 30 gallon? A ghost knife? The knife should be put in a 125 and the jacks at least a 75. This is terrible for your tank, not to mention the eel, clown loach and catfish which also probably get huge. What types are these? You need to rehome some fish ASAP.

I have never heard of a pimple like disease...

well thanks for helping me with that disease problem i asked about

fyi the dempseys are no bigger than 2 inches, the catfish is 2-3 inches, the knife is 1 inch and is in my tank so it can grown because its my roomates fish, the clown loach is maybe half an inch, and the eel is a small one maybe 6 inches

please dont lecture me, i want to get my fish healthy, not rid of them. i have a very happy fish tank with lots of hiding places. if need be, i'll move the dempseys one day, however for the next year theyre not going anywhere

DukeNukem713 said:
well thanks for helping me with that disease problem i asked about

fyi the dempseys are no bigger than 2 inches, the catfish is 2-3 inches, the knife is 1 inch and is in my tank so it can grown because its my roomates fish, the clown loach is maybe half an inch, and the eel is a small one maybe 6 inches

please dont lecture me, i want to get my fish healthy, not rid of them. i have a very happy fish tank with lots of hiding places. if need be, i'll move the dempseys one day, however for the next year theyre not going anywhere

Well this whole "pimple" thing could be a cause of overstocking and ammonia poisining. FYI, the dempseys will be BIGGER THAN THE TANK in a year. The ghost knife will probably die during that time too. What type of eel and catfish? I assure you that there are no types of eels that can live in a 30. But i am obviously not getting through to you. Do reasearch, type in "jack dempsey info" on google or "black ghost knife" on google. You will get the facts about these fish, even though your exremely late and should have done the research before hand. Honestly, i dont think a 50% water change a day would save your fish if you want to keep them in there for a year. Anyone else want to chime in and help?

And BTW: You posted this in the sick saltwater fish and coral section.

hmm i never knew jack dempseys could grow 36 inches in a year. i did all my research before i bought my fish, i planned out what fish i wanted and everything, and i knew that the day will come when my dempseys will outgrow my tank, but for now they are tiny as [Moderator edit]!!!

and yeah im ungrateful because my post is "red/dot on my fish" not "am i overstocked?" you guys are so friggin uptight its unbelievable. when they get too big for the tank, i'll move them!!! its that simple! you're lecturing me like you know my tank and my fish better than myself, thats why im ungrateful. right now THEY ARE PERFECTLY 100% FINE. other than this pimple thing i asked about, which ive gotten so much help with so far, really thank you, you're right, i should be more grateful

sorry about posting in the saltwater forum, my mistake

Last edited by a moderator:
Red dot/pimple on fish?

Hey i accidently posted this is the slatwater forum so this is a repost.

2 of my fish, a kribensis and a guorami, have gotten these red pimples on them. one on the stoamch of the kribensis and another on the noise of the guorami. they're behavior really hasn't changed much at all. does anyone have a clue what this is? my ammonia and nitrites are 0

Thanks for listing your ammonia and nitrites. What are your nitrates?

Tank size?

How long has tank been cycled?

Stock?

Do you have a photo?

Is there anything sticking out of the pimple area? I've heard where some worms can create what looks like a pimple.

Sometimes the environment has a lot to do with disease, so if you could give us more info, that would really be helpful. Thanks!

LyndaB said:
Thanks for listing your ammonia and nitrites. What are your nitrates?

Tank size?

How long has tank been cycled?

Stock?

Do you have a photo?

Sometimes the environment has a lot to do with disease, so if you could give us more info, that would really be helpful. Thanks!

He has 2 jack dempseys, 1 ghost knife, 2 gouramis, 2 kribs, 1 catfish, and 1 eel in a 30 gallon tank. The problem is right there

The disease is probably from the amount of fish and type of fish in there. Red coming to the surface a lot of times means there is to much ammonia. A red bump could be a lot of things though. What kind of catfish? And who has the red bump??

1 kribensis not 2. soon to be 2 however, i really need to find him a mate! oh and dont forget my tiny clown loach! none of my fish are above 2 inches except the eel

nothings stickin out of the pimple as far as i can tell. my tank is fully cycled and heavily planted. heres a video of me feeding a worm to my dempsey if u want to get a better picture of my tank (its a 30 long) and my fish (all fairly tiny like i said)

if u want to comment on my DIY cave go right ahead! hehe

my first fish were killed in the cycle process. not because they were so crammed together.

if one were to stock by adult length then nobody would buy oscars or clown knifes because they can get to be 2 foot long. thats just silly. why would i stock now for something that will happen in 8 months. i could always buy a new tank or remove him

I know you were crucified in your other thread regarding your stocking. Since you're already well aware of that, we can attempt to steer clear of that dialogue in this thread.

Are you able to get pics?

i want to know WHAT THIS IS, not your opinion of my fish tank or why you think this happened. if you dont know what this pimple thing is, then please dont respond! it doesnt matter what you think is causing it if you dont even know what it is.

the dot on my kribensis has turned in to a red ring, very similar looking to ring worm. so i believe it is a worm of sorts. anyone heard of something like this?

As I mentioned in your similar thread, I've read that these pimples can contain worms. I know that you can actually deworm your fish. I just don't know the procedure or meds to do so. Further research would be needed on your part if nobody pipes up with a plan for you.

Threads merged.

I have removed the rude and inflammatory posts from this thread. Please keep this thread on topic. This is NOT a stocking thread. Stocking advice has been given and noted... and it's time to stop beating a dead horse.

Back
Top Bottom