redsea's 29g BioCube Build #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is the update for today everyone.

So I am almost certain what I see is ich, so need to setup a quarantine tank soon. :( First fish......REALLY? LOL

So, while it is a bummer, I should look on the positive side, as I can still enjoy my fish while he is undergoing his treatment, and I can definitely still enjoy my shrimp in the main tank. From now on I guess I will my QTing all the time when I get a new fish.

Are you going with hypo salinity or copper for the ich?
Is the clown still doing ok, he was a real looker in the picture you posted. :)

Are you going with hypo salinity or copper for the ich?
Is the clown still doing ok, he was a real looker in the picture you posted. :)

The Clown seems to be doing just dandy! In fact, I think he lost some spots! I know this is just the ich being deceitful, however.....

I really would like to go with copper, but certainly will not if that is not a good decision. I did copper once and hypo once, but I am going to have trouble with hypo because I lost the calibration fluid. I guess my refractometer is not like the others because mine says it needs to be calibrated with solution at 1.026 specific gravity. :eek:

I should still have my copper kit in the basement though with my other old fish stuff.......decisions!

You can calibrate the reftactometer using ro water. :)

Or, do what I did, go to an lfs and have them calibrate it. lol

Oh, so it really doesn't need to be calibrated using 1.026 water.....I can just use regular RO/DI?

Thanks! That would be good news! Especially since you were saying that hypo is a little easier on the fish than copper. :)

The Clown today has no spots of ich! The life cycle is so deceiving, I wish it would never come back, hehe. I should hopefully be making strides in making water and setting up the QT tomorrow....:)

Sorry for the tiny little update again!

Today there are still no signs of ich, and I am so reluctant to start treatment.....:/ The thing that bothers me the most is the thought that it may not be ich, but that I'd probably just what I would like to think.

Carey- I am so relieved that I can use regular RO water. I saw that I needed to calibrate with 1.026 on the container and freaked out. "Where did I put that fluid?" :lol:

Okay, I am just going to bite the bullet ad get this done in the coming days! Lol
Here is the plan:
First, I need go get to making more water, as I am running low. I can then setup the 10g which I will use for a quarantine system. I am thinking I should bring over a rock or two with some sand for biological filtration.

I also need to calibrate that refractometer, so I need to make some 100% freshwater (RODI) to do so.

If I can manage to find the solution (which is at 1.026) I should use that instead though, right?

Thanks for reading. I probably should have started with a QT first when I got the fish, but I had thought that it may be a good idea to try the "build up your fish's immune system trick." Thinking about the latter, I realized that wouldn't be a good idea because the fish would possibly get sick often, and I wouldn't want that. :( I should have the kit for copper which I did for the fish in the 34g two years ago, so I guess that could work too.

All the ich has been off the fish now for a few days, he is still doing great!

Sorry for my long post! The fish part of my mind has just been going insane the past week trying to figure all this out! :)

I wouldnt pout any rock or sand in, if you are going to use copper anyways. It will leech into the rock and make it unuseable in a reef tank.

I would calibrate the refractometer with the solution if you have it, if not ro/di will work as well. Always better to use the solution but in a pinch you can go with the water. :)

Glad your little clown is looking better! thats a great sign!

Thanks Carey! I'm really glad I don't have to try to make 1.026 water to calibrate the refractometer (because I wouldn't have the refractometer to make it if I was trying to calibrate it, lol). It is pretty hard to mess up making pure fresh water for calibration. :)

Additionally, I think I will go with hypo since I can use fresh water to calibrate without many issues. (I could then use a rock or two in that case)

I'm getting the new "WP10" Jebao from a group buy at another forum for my 29cube. I will let you know how that goes & should be a good flow for your cube. (y)

As promised....It's been sometime since ive been running the WP10 and do enjoy all the options it has. Like the little waves it makes as well and I can control that as well. Now they even have a dual control as well... Good luck in your battle

kyrm.jpg

uyb4.jpg

You can upgrade the controller for the wp10 if you dont have the second level of controls. I had a 1st gen wp40 and got a new controller from ebay for $20 and it now matches the other wp40 I have. :) I like the second gen ones so much better.

No, thats not it all ! Where did you get that from? It looks so much better than mine does! lol

here is a second gen controller

Back
Top Bottom