Rummy nosed tetra help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chronos313 said:
Ya just thinking to myself let it lower naturally that way your fish don't get shocked by the large decrease. But prime is a far superior conditioner. I use nutrafin aqua plus

I'll get prime. I think my API is almost gone anyway.

I like prime also but it's so darn pricey up here in Canada. I haven't had an issues with the nutrafin product so I recommend it to those who can't afford prime.

Mumma.of.two said:
I agree with your husband. Lol. Leave it be. Seriously your just going to keep stressing over it and cause fluctuations stressing the fish. I have rummies living at pH 8 at the moment and harlequin rasboras, that apparently need it in the 6s, at 7.8. It's true! They can adapt and be happy and healthy.

Ok ok. I'll leave it be.

I would feel better if it were a little lower. I'd like to get gbr's. And I'm afraid any fish I put in there will die. I don't know. My husband says to just leave it alone. I know fish can adapt to a higher pH but I'd like for it to be lower. Should I just leave it alone?

Step away from the tank, ma'am....... :D

I guess I could wait two weeks before a pwc. There's 2 Rummies in a 55... I doubt they are mucking up the water much.

Sorry if I caused you more stress was just offering some options :lol:.

I agree that you don't want to make any drastic changes to lower pH. Sometimes trying to fix something can cause more problems. IMO adding a 2 liter of DIY co2 is not a drastic attempt to lower the pH. It is fun to do, benefits plants, reduces algae, and naturally lowers the pH by a very small degree if at all in a 55g.

It's true fish can adapt to different water parameters. Personally I prefer to try and keep fish in an environment close to what they came from. I would not keep rummies or GBRs at a pH of 8, but if it works it works I guess.

Alkane said:
Sorry if I caused you more stress was just offering some options :lol:.

I agree that you don't want to make any drastic changes to lower pH. Sometimes trying to fix something can cause more problems. IMO adding a 2 liter of DIY co2 is not a drastic attempt to lower the pH. It is fun to do, benefits plants, reduces algae, and naturally lowers the pH by a very small degree if at all in a 55g.

It's true fish can adapt to different water parameters. Personally I prefer to try and keep fish in an environment close to what they came from. I would not keep rummies or GBRs at a pH of 8, but if it works it works I guess.

I'll probably still do the co2 because I have plants and I don't like algae.

If I had the choice I'd rather not keep my pH at 7.8-8.0. I am thinking I'm not getting GBR's even though I think they are gorgeous! I will get more Rummies eventually so I can have a better school instead of just two.

You didn't cause me any extra stress at all. I was stressing over it anyway.

I'll probably still do the co2 because I have plants and I don't like algae.

If I had the choice I'd rather not keep my pH at 7.8-8.0. I am thinking I'm not getting GBR's even though I think they are gorgeous! I will get more Rummies eventually so I can have a better school instead of just two.

You didn't cause me any extra stress at all. I was stressing over it anyway.

:D Cool I would hate to cause any stress for ya.

Do you like kribensis? They are neat little fish and unlike rams can handle a higher alkalinity.

Just an idea to consider: When you go to get more rummies try to find out the pH of the LFS's water or test it yourself from the bag. If there is a big difference you could do the drip method over 30 mins or so. Maybe even ask for extra water with the fish, put them in a dark bucket (to reduce stress) with an airstone and drip water from your tank over a few hours, remove some water periodically until you think it's mostly water from your tank.

Alkane said:

Do you like kribensis? They are neat little fish and unlike rams can handle a higher alkalinity.

Just an idea to consider: When you go to get more rummies try to find out the pH of the LFS's water or test it yourself from the bag. If there is a big difference you could do the drip method over 30 mins or so. Maybe even ask for extra water with the fish, put them in a dark bucket (to reduce stress) with an airstone and drip water from your tank over a few hours, remove some water periodically until you think it's mostly water from your tank.

I'll look up those fish. I'll definitely do your drip acclimation idea and see what the pH of the stores water is. I'm away from home today and I keep wandering how my fish are. They've never been left home alone for a whole day before! I hope they aren't getting into mischief...

Alkane said:

Kribensis sounds perfect except I don't have dark substrate. Anyway, is it best to have a male/female pair or can I have 2 males? Or can I just have 1 male? When it's time to get one I'm going to have to order it online or get my petco to do a special order because I haven't seen those around here.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Home now. None of my fish died today. I'm too tired to mess with testing pH. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow.

I was thinking about DIY co2 yesterday... Now I'm thinking I don't really want to mess with it. I don't think I really need it.

I used to keep kribs with rummies and I wouldn't advise it. The rummies are too shy and were really stressed with the kribs. I didn't know how much so until I rehomed the kribs with the lfs (too many fry for me) and saw how the rummies breathed a huge sigh of relief.

I would keep rummies with the fish in my signature line as well as other peaceful fish. Kribs are semi-aggressive.

Home now. None of my fish died today. I'm too tired to mess with testing pH. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow.

I was thinking about DIY co2 yesterday... Now I'm thinking I don't really want to mess with it. I don't think I really need it.

Yah you don't really need it.

I used to keep kribs with rummies and I wouldn't advise it. The rummies are too shy and were really stressed with the kribs. I didn't know how much so until I rehomed the kribs with the lfs (too many fry for me) and saw how the rummies breathed a huge sigh of relief.

I would keep rummies with the fish in my signature line as well as other peaceful fish. Kribs are semi-aggressive.
I was just offering an alternative to GBRs which are also semi-aggresive. That's weird your rummies are shy the ones I own run the tank, they are sometimes even nippy towards my apistos when feeding. Also being in a 55 wouldn't the kribs would have enough room to stake their territory. I do agree with a pair that the fry will be a pain.

Do I have to keep them in a pair? Can I just have 1 male or would he get really grumpy?

So what other suggestions for a centerpiece fish? I guess angel fish are pretty but I think they seem snooty. Maybe if I found an especially pretty one... Nothing really jumped out at me when I was at petsmart the other day.

I just want to get a bigger school of Rummies. I think maybe 5 more. Then I will have 7 and hopefully no more will die. Don't worry, I'm waiting...even though I got a petco gift card at my bday party yesterday...

Do I have to keep them in a pair? Can I just have 1 male or would he get really grumpy?

So what other suggestions for a centerpiece fish? I guess angel fish are pretty but I think they seem snooty. Maybe if I found an especially pretty one... Nothing really jumped out at me when I was at petsmart the other day.

I just want to get a bigger school of Rummies. I think maybe 5 more. Then I will have 7 and hopefully no more will die. Don't worry, I'm waiting...even though I got a petco gift card at my bday party yesterday...

Haha, one of the hardest parts of fish keeping is being patient.

Here's a thread on the topic of one male krib. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/is-a-single-male-kribensis-okay-52861.html I don't see why that wouldn't work. I haven't kept a lone krib so I can't say for sure. Apistos may be an option, but they are tough to find and Petsmart won't have them also apistos prefer soft acidic water. Check out rainbow fish too.

Angels get big and can be very aggressive when older, I wouldn't keep them in a community tank.

I can look into apistos... It sounds to me like having 1 male in a tank would be fine but it mentions they may not do so well with Cory cats. So I just won't get any Cory cats.

I already know that I will have to special order it to the petco or order it offline. I may just let petco order it in with more rummy nose tetras. They didn't have any more Rummies. :(. Not that I would have bought them.

So- I bought an argentine sword, some seachem prime, algae wafers for my nerite snail and a second zebra nerite to put in my 55 to eat diatoms. Oh- and some tube cover things for my daughters hamster cage so the hamster doesn't escape.

I think I have a female rummy. I've been noticing her tummy looks different than the other one. Kinda like this drawing: the bottom one would be the one I think is female.

Back
Top Bottom