Rummy nosed tetra help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One last post and then I'm going to bed.

Firstly- I attempted to put my lights on a timer (need a different timer...). I'm getting green algae on my driftwood. Obviously I don't have enough plants and too much lights. I have one lonely zebra nerite. So, first question- best algae eating snail that won't eat mah plants- I need to hear some real experience, not just what I read.

Secondly- since I turned on the light I saw my Rummies were pale faced again. So I tested pH. I got a weird color. It normally tests at 7.8-8.0. I did hi and low range. What are your thoughts please? Oh, I've done nothing to my tank lately. Haven't added anything or removed anything, except yesterday I took out some plastic plants and added a new argentine sword. I don't think that would effect anything.

I can't tell you guys just how much I appreciate all of your wisdom. Thank you so much!

Ps- all 5 of my ghost shrimp are doing great. I didn't lose any at all so far! I'm itching for more fish, but I'm not adding any yet. Not until I figure out this pH.

Has any one told you yet that fish pale out when the lights are off and sleeping? They soon return to normal colorings. So when you turn your lights on and see the pale don't panic.

+1 about fish paling out, don't worry about that unless they stay that way 24 hours

My rummies color up within 10 minutes of turning the lights on, as long as it's a regular light schedule. In other words, if I turned on the lights in the middle of the night to check something, they would stay pale for much longer.

Do you rinse your test tubes really well? If not, you could have residue in there that is affecting your final color. Also, are you only trying to match the color after the appropriate test time? Not before? Not after?

LyndaB said:
+1 about fish paling out, don't worry about that unless they stay that way 24 hours

My rummies color up within 10 minutes of turning the lights on, as long as it's a regular light schedule. In other words, if I turned on the lights in the middle of the night to check something, they would stay pale for much longer.

Do you rinse your test tubes really well? If not, you could have residue in there that is affecting your final color. Also, are you only trying to match the color after the appropriate test time? Not before? Not after?

I rinse them very well because I'm afraid to get any of the chemicals in the fish tank. I wait 5 minutes after I add the drops and then check the colors. I'm going to test again tonight to see if I get the same result. I don't turn the lights on after they are off but last night I did because I was trying to get them on my timer, which didn't work. I need one with 3 prongs and not just two.

I was thinking the paling of their color might be normal, but I wasn't sure. They've been doing really well. Eating well and swimming well.

I know that saltwater tanks can have pH swings at night, do freshwater tanks do that too?

Mumma.of.two said:
Has any one told you yet that fish pale out when the lights are off and sleeping? They soon return to normal colorings. So when you turn your lights on and see the pale don't panic.

No one had told me that. I was thinking it might be normal since my fish seem fine and color up pretty quickly in the mornings but I've been stressing over everything and I wanted to make sure nothing was wrong.

(my daughter just told me I have a boring fish tank! What a meanie!!)

She needs to go into a very long time out........ :brows:

No, pH swings are not normal, nor should they be expected. They can be dangerous for your fish.

LyndaB said:
She needs to go into a very long time out........ :brows:

No, pH swings are not normal, nor should they be expected. They can be dangerous for your fish.

I know she does! She wants me to get some X-ray tetras and ghost catfish. Lol! She's going to be standing in the corner this afternoon if she doesnt brush her teeth and finish getting ready for school... She's about to miss the bus. Anyway...

I figured they shouldn't be normal. I know in saltwater you can use a lighted refugium to help with that...

I guess as long as my fish are acting normal everything is probably fine. I'll test tonight an hour after lights out to see if I get the same weird color.

One last post and then I'm going to bed.

Firstly- I attempted to put my lights on a timer (need a different timer...). I'm getting green algae on my driftwood. Obviously I don't have enough plants and too much lights. I have one lonely zebra nerite. So, first question- best algae eating snail that won't eat mah plants- I need to hear some real experience, not just what I read.

Nerites do well but will sometimes leave little white unfertilized eggs all over, with one in a 55 you probably won't notice. Mystery snails eat a ton of algae, but will bulldoze plants that arn't firmly anchored. I enjoy having Malasian trumpet snails in my tank to keep the sand substrate mixed up, I can't really tell how much algae they eat if any. As far as fish go ottos are great, but again prefer more acidic water. I love my bristle nose pleco he is kind of messy, but makes up for it in personality. As for shrimp red cherry shrimp are great, but will get eaten by anything that can fit them in their mouths. I have heard amano shrimp do well, but don't have personal experience with them.

Try not to buy an animal just to eat algae, buy it because you want it to be a part of your tank. Because when it finishes its job you are going to have to feed it (snails, ottos, and plecos love zucchini :D). The left over food and poo is going to add to your bio-load. You can keep a tank clear of algae without any "algae eaters" having good filtration, doing regular water changes, and a little manual scraping. Also you can look in to dosing flourish excel, it is a carbon based substitute for co2 that will help keep algae at bay.

Remember a little algae is natural & beneficial. :fish2:

Alkane said:
Nerites do well but will sometimes leave little white unfertilized eggs all over, with one in a 55 you probably won't notice. Mystery snails eat a ton of algae, but will bulldoze plants that arn't firmly anchored. I enjoy having Malasian trumpet snails in my tank to keep the sand substrate mixed up, I can't really tell how much algae they eat if any. As far as fish go ottos are great, but again prefer more acidic water. I love my bristle nose pleco he is kind of messy, but makes up for it in personality. As for shrimp red cherry shrimp are great, but will get eaten by anything that can fit them in their mouths. I have heard amano shrimp do well, but don't have personal experience with them.

Try not to buy an animal just to eat algae, buy it because you want it to be a part of your tank. Because when it finishes its job you are going to have to feed it (snails, ottos, and plecos love zucchini :D). The left over food and poo is going to add to your bio-load. You can keep a tank clear of algae without any "algae eaters" having good filtration, doing regular water changes, and a little manual scraping. Also you can look in to dosing flourish excel, it is a carbon based substitute for co2 that will help keep algae at bay.

Remember a little algae is natural & beneficial. :fish2:
Thank you for the info. I don't think I want ottos or a pleco. I like snails and shrimp. I think I'll end up getting more nerite snails and I'd like some red cherry shrimp as long as they will get along with my ghost shrimp. I have Malaysian trumpets in my 5 gallon and will get some in my 55 when the tank is a little more established (or if my MTS have babies I can move to the 55.) I will try dosing with flourish excel when I am able to get some. I thought about co2 but I'm not going to worry with that for now. I was surprised to see algae already! I think I'm leaving my light on too long. I'd say it's on for a good 12 hours a day. I moved my lonely snail onto the piece of driftwood so hopefully he'll clean it up for me! :) I have really good filtration and I'll be doing pwc's once a week. My tank has been up for almost 2.5 weeks. My last pwc was last Wednesday. I'll be doing a 15 gallon pwc tomorrow.

Algae is a good sign that your tank is maturing, but like you mentioned you may want to decrease the photoperiod a bit. Depending on your lights you generally don't want them on for more than 10 hrs. I keep my t5ho's on for 8 hrs. A lot of people keep their lights on longer without issues, but it may be a good idea to start out with a shorter photoperoid and move up to the 10-12 hr range.

Red cherry shrimp are pretty awesome. I have kept them with ghost shrimp with no problems, but now keep them in a tank by themselves.

Do some research on excel, but I wouldn't rush out to buy it. Your tank will be fine with out it.

Petco is getting more Rummies on Thursday. The bad news is this will probably be their last order because they are pretty shock sensitive and die easily. So- I guess Friday I'm getting more fish. I was thinking 8. This is probably my last chance to complete the school. Do you guys think it'll be okay to get more?

Either a ghost shrimp molted or it died. I'm leaning towards molted because it is a very clear shell. I thought if they died they would turn milky/white... At any rate it was stuck to my filter intake so I removed it. If it molted I must be doing something right, right?

I did a 30% pwc last night and propagated a couple water wisteria, removed any dead or dying leaves off the plants, and I used seachem prime for the first time. I went ahead and dosed for 50 gals. For my next pwc do I do another full dose or dose for only the amount of water I am replacing.

I bought some API root tabs and completely forgot to put them in the tank last night! Doh! I'll do it tonight I guess.

My pH this morning was 7.8-8.0. I'm glad it didn't do anything crazy after the water change. I was worried.
Ammo 0
Trites 0
trates 40

How do you guys with multiple tanks do it? It took me like and hour and a half to do my tank last night. When you guys do your 8 or 12 tanks it must take all day and be exhausting!

Can you get more? It depends. Are your readings steady? Any issues with the tank?

Shrimp turn pink when they die, just like when you cook 'em up for that lovely white wine and butter sauce you made.

LyndaB said:
Can you get more? It depends. Are your readings steady? Any issues with the tank?

Shrimp turn pink when they die, just like when you cook 'em up for that lovely white wine and butter sauce you made.

Then it was a molted shell!
-are you cooking me dinner tonight? Cause that would be delicious!!

My ammo trite and trate are good. My ph is around 7.8-8 every time I test it except for that weird color I got the night before last.

I've had some diatoms and I've got some algae growing on my driftwood. I moved my nerite on top of it and he is eating away at it.

My shrimp, snail, and 2 Rummies are doing really good. The Rummies zoom all over the place and weave in and out of the plants. I took out those plastic ones and added a sword and pinched the tops off some of the wisteria and replanted them and the Rummies seem to be much happier with it. They've started going to the surface to eat too instead of just waiting for it to all drop to the bottom. I feel like I can add more fish, maybe. I really want to.... Friday will be 14 days since I bought the first group of Rummies...

If it were me, I'd be really leery of adding 8 more at once. But if you're saying you don't really have a choice because they're not carrying them anymore, then you may not have a choice (which is how I think you see it).

You might ask the lfs first if they can special order for you. Or, see if anyone here is selling rummies.

I have trouble finding them around me, but my tanks are so established, I wouldn't flinch at buying 8 at a time.

LyndaB said:
If it were me, I'd be really leery of adding 8 more at once. But if you're saying you don't really have a choice because they're not carrying them anymore, then you may not have a choice (which is how I think you see it).

You might ask the lfs first if they can special order for you. Or, see if anyone here is selling rummies.

I have trouble finding them around me, but my tanks are so established, I wouldn't flinch at buying 8 at a time.

I will ask if they would be able or willing to order some for me at a later date. I think the guy in charge knows I am really trying to be successful at this hobby so he might be willing to order some later. I'll stop in and ask him today.

I'm nervous about buying them online and having them shipped to my house. I'm afraid the box will get thrown onto the porch while I'm out and about.

LyndaB said:

He said he is absolutely not ordering more and this is the last shipment.

My next question is- do I need more or is there a different tetra that they would be inclined to school with? Or will they do ok with just having each other?

They have gorgeous albino kribensis there and I would love to get them. They've been there for about 2 weeks.

So I need to decide- get more Rummies that may die due to stress or wait and get the kribensis or a different tetra the Rummies would school with.

View attachment 88375

Albino krib

A word to the wise. When I kept kribs, they really stressed my rummies out. My poor rummies let out a huge sigh of relief when I rehomed the kribs. I will never house the two species together again.

My rummies do hang out with my ember tetras and my white cloud mountain minnows. They don't necessarily school together but the rummies seem to get a great sense of comfort by having those particular species with them.

Back
Top Bottom