Ryan's Updated 54G Corner Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good! The algae looks significant less than the pics from July. I can't even see algae in the latest pics :)

BTW, how do you like that Glo fixture?

I think it's a really good fixture! It's not as strong as I'd like it (I think I'm at around 40 PAR right under the light), but it's growing things pretty well and I think upping the doses is helping more with growth and colour. The Life-GLO bulbs are pretty high in greenish-yellow spectrum, but unfortunately they only sell Life-GLO and Power-GLO for their T5HO Fixtures.

Wouldn't other bulbs fit in the fixture? Like Giesemann bulbs?

If you like more light intensity, why not add another fixture?

Aren't most T5HO bulbs this length standard at 24 inch? My fixture runs 22 inch bulbs. The other thing is I'm a Senior in High School that doesn't have a job. Trust me, I'd love to go buy a better fixture, or even an extra to add to this tank! This fixture and bulbs was a birthday present from my dad! I googled the Giesemann bulbs and it said they were 24 inch. Not sure if that meant 24 inches long or for a 24 inch fixture.

Thanks for confirming this! I'm going to look into ordering two Giesemann bulbs to see if they work better. Should I just order two midday bulbs? That seems to be the popular choice. Does $56.35 sound reasonable to order two of these?

Thanks for confirming this! I'm going to look into ordering two Giesemann bulbs to see if they work better. Should I just order two midday bulbs? That seems to be the popular choice. Does $56.35 sound reasonable to order two of these?

Where are you ordering then from? I got mine from That Fish Place and they were 18$ a bulb.

I run 2 6000K Midday bulbs on the 220g with the halides but on the 55g I use 1 Midday bulb and 1 Aquaflora and I was very surprised how much brighter the Aquaflora "pink" bulbs are than all the other brands of pink rosette bulbs I've used.

Where are you ordering then from? I got mine from That Fish Place and they were 18$ a bulb.

Well I live in Canada, so unfortunately these kinds of things almost always cost more. I was going to order them from J&L Aquatics in Burnaby, BC.

I run 2 6000K Midday bulbs on the 220g with the halides but on the 55g I use 1 Midday bulb and 1 Aquaflora and I was very surprised how much brighter the Aquaflora "pink" bulbs are than all the other brands of pink rosette bulbs I've used.

I was looking at the spectral graphs for each bulb and they don't seem to have much different of a spike in red... So I don't see how the Aquaflora would be more beneficial. If anything, the graphs look almost the same. Am I missing something?

Well I live in Canada, so unfortunately these kinds of things almost always cost more. I was going to order them from J&L Aquatics in Burnaby, BC.

Stinks. :( If that's the cheapest you can find then I guess that's what you'll have to do.

Gosh.... if bulbs are going to cost you $56.35 annually to replace, for the great quality ones, maybe you should just save the money and upgrade to a good quality LED system. Those BML fixtures are really making a name for themselves. You can get the DUTCH version they have to really get the colors to pop.

Dutch Planted 6300K - Build My LED, LLC

The BML can replace your current lighting all together..

Another option would be to continue using the Glo (w/ cheaper bulbs) and add another light to it... possibly a good quality but less expensive (than the BML) LED light. Something like the Finnex MonsterRay or Fugeray Plant+ (with red diodes) that's coming out in November or the Current-USA Satellite Plus fixture (avail. now).

Just a suggestion :)

Last edited:
Haha... I know... I just noticed they revamped their site and add all kinds of goodies! This doesn't help my addiction at all! LOL

I'm always looking at up and coming LED Fixtures and those BML Fixtures are certainly the way to go. I'm just not sure of my options yet. I could potentially sell this fixture to cover costs of the new one, but we'll see how it goes!

I'm heading out for the long weekend tomorrow, and was wondering what I could do for fertilizer and such... Could I dose extra of my micros and macros, or is it even worth it? I would just dose the same amount of glut as always because it would break down within 24 hours all the same.

Back
Top Bottom