Ryan's Updated 54G Corner Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can reduce the photoperiod to like 4 to 5 hours a day so the plants don't require much carbon or ferts. A weekend isn't too long. If it were any longer, you can also use root tabs to supply slow release nutrients when absent.

Like Brian said, reduce your photoperiod and if you want you can double dose the ferts today and call it good.

Well here's an update on the tank! After checking my parameters last week, I'm finally getting readings of roughly 20ppm for Nitrate, and I'm now in the 3-5ppm range for Phosphate. I removed the Rotala, which was on the left side of the tank, and I'm planning to fill in that area with something a little different! Any recommendations? I was thinking of ordering some crypt wendtii red for the front. How does that sound?

I'm wondering whether the Cryptocryne wendtii will grow low, or high... I've seen many videos where it could grow close to the substrate, or straight upwards. Is Crypt wendtii de witt 'red' similar? That's the closest I can find on the site I'm ordering from. The reason I'm wondering how it will grow is to determine whether it can be placed in front of the driftwood, or if it will need to be planted where the Rotala was previously. I was thinking of moving the Bacopa caroliniana to the side and getting something well-suited for the back corner if the crypt can be planted in the foreground.

Generally crypts grow taller in lower light and grow lower and more horizontal in high light.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/15225-estimative-index-dosing-guide.html
I decided to read the opening post to understand EI Dosing. I'm probably going to switch to it this week, considering my dosing solutions are almost out. I read the dosing amounts for a 40-60 gallon aquarium. If I don't dose Potassium Nitrate due to desired Nitrate levels already existing. Can I replace that with Potassium Sulphate? They said you could dose both for more potassium, so I could just dose Potassium Sulphate instead.

I can't help with your question but with El it's not about keeping your tank at the desired level but about overdosing all nutrients so plants are never lacking what they might need. So if your going to truly dose El then you should be dosing the way they say and increasing all your levels.

My Nitrate levels are already at about 40 by the end of the week. That's over the desired target level for EI. The other thing I'm wondering is when he says for 40-60 Gallon aquariums 1/8 (10mL) of Micro Mix. Does that mean 1/8 teaspoon dry or 10mL mixed with water? I would like to dose all of them dry. Hopefully I could do that, if you could reassure me?

That's interesting as I never knew there were actual target levels for El! Mind sharing as I always like to learn about things I don't know.

Are you changing from PPS-Pro dosing and if so can I ask why? Going by what I read in that post it provides higher nitrates and lower phosphates. It's levels according to that aren't all that different when dosing PPS-Pro which allows for you to dose to the levels you want.

Are you changing from PPS-Pro dosing and if so can I ask why? Going by what I read in that post it provides higher nitrates and lower phosphates. It's levels according to that aren't all that different when dosing PPS-Pro which allows for you to dose to the levels you want.

If you're trying to hit target ranges for EI, you might as well just dose PPS-Pro. It will be better.

I want to try dry dosing using their dosing measurements to see how it works out. I'm not trying to hit those target levels. I'm just saying I don't see a need to dose Potassium Nitrate when I have excess Nitrates already. So I'm wondering if Potassium sulphate could be substituted. They do say if you still need more potassium to dose Potassium sulphate at the same dose that Potassium Nitrate is being dosed at. So I think it could be substituted?

I want to try dry dosing using their dosing measurements to see how it works out. I'm not trying to hit those target levels. I'm just saying I don't see a need to dose Potassium Nitrate when I have excess Nitrates already. So I'm wondering if Potassium sulphate could be substituted. They do say if you still need more potassium to dose Potassium sulphate at the same dose that Potassium Nitrate is being dosed at. So I think it could be substituted?

If it says that then I see no reason you can't substitute it for the P. Nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom