Sad corydora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fizzler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought two Corydoras from a pet supplies plus. One of them is absolutely loving life in my tank. However, the other one just sits In the same spot all day doesn’t move and his gills seem to be turning reddish. I feel terrible I want to make him healthy and happy but he’s been in my tank for two days and he hasn’t once showed signs of getting better. He was like this when I got him from the store. Is there anything. I can do to help him get better ? My ammonia is 0ppm, nitrite is 0ppm and nitrate is 5ppm. Any ideas ?

What size tank do you have? Does it have a filter? Did you buy 2 of the same type of corydora? Corydoras like to be in groups of 6.
Red gills are usually caused by ammonia (but you said that it was 0) or lack of oxygen in a tank.

I have a 29 gallon hex tank. They are two emerald Corys I believe. And yes I have a filter, as well as 4 java ferns. They are the only two fish in the tank. He moved around bare minimal today, however still sitting pretty still at the bottom.IMG_0933.jpg

I have a 29 gallon hex tank. They are two emerald Corys I believe. And yes I have a filter, as well as 4 java ferns. They are the only two fish in the tank. He moved around bare minimal today, however still sitting pretty still at the bottom.View attachment 315985

IMG_0933.jpg
This is the healthy one

View attachment 315986
This is the healthy one

If it is ammonia poisoning he got it from the store. They were the only two Corys left and there was one dead in the tank with them. I felt bad so I wanted to save them and give them a better home. Can they recover from ammonia poisoning ? I’ve searched for more Corys but everywhere I’ve looked is sold out.

Yeah they can recover if you keep the water clean (which it sounds like you are doing).
Like I said they like to be in groups so he's probably just being shy. New fish sometimes take a while to get active in a new tank. I bought cardinal tetras a month ago and they are just becoming more active instead of hiding all the time.

He’s still alive but he isn’t looking well still. He moves around a little
Bit more but still barley at all. IMG_1064.jpg

He died last night. I found him floating upside down at the top of the tank. Poor little guy

Back
Top Bottom