Safe start plus ADVICE PLEASE!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ylreveb20

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought some safe start plus today, and it's been expired for two years. I did my water change and everything and we poured some safe start in the tank. It came out all chunky. Should I change the water again or leave it alone? I have 7 fish in the tank, I really don't want them die.

I second ^^^

That stuff is pretty much crap anyways. I tried using it and others and they don't really do alot in the way of helping set up a tank. It's just a money pit.

If your fish are already in the tank and if you don't already have them your best bet is to purchase an api freshwater master test kit, some seachem prime and stability and use those to get your tank cycled. The prime will detoxify the ammonia so it doesn't kill your fish, and the stability will add bacteria to help kickstart the nitrogen cycle. The combination will allow you to keep your water parameters at zero for ammonia nitrite ,and as close to zero as possible for nitrate.

Be warned they are on the more expensive side to test strips which are also junk, and more expensive than tetra products but in the long run will help your tank be better.

There are tons of articles and advice on the forum to help you along your way :)

Back
Top Bottom