serious stocking issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haleybeth30

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, I bought a 125 off craigslist with fish. At the time figured I'd just get rid of the fish but now I want to keep 3 or 4.. =) Problem with that is I already have my fish I wanted to put in there eventually..

New fish:
5 in. green severum
2 in. gold severum
geophagus blue neon
(and maybe another green sev 1.5 in.)

my fish:
2-2.5 JD
2 in. oscar
1.5 in. jewel
1 in. FM
2 cons, 1 in.

now, don't fret, I know all these fish can't go in a 125. I also have a 55g, a 30g and a 75g. Who would you suggest to go in the 125? Could I keep them all with this space? Someome recommended I could put my jewel in with my peacocks/haps. (Yes, I have them too.) In a couple months they will be getting a 125 of their own. I know it's not recommended, but.. guess depends on the fish too and the space. I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Ok, I bought a 125 off craigslist with fish. At the time figured I'd just get rid of the fish but now I want to keep 3 or 4.. =) Problem with that is I already have my fish I wanted to put in there eventually..

New fish:
5 in. green severum
2 in. gold severum
geophagus blue neon
(and maybe another green sev 1.5 in.)

my fish:
2-2.5 JD
2 in. oscar
1.5 in. jewel
1 in. FM
2 cons, 1 in.

now, don't fret, I know all these fish can't go in a 125. I also have a 55g, a 30g and a 75g. Who would you suggest to go in the 125? Could I keep them all with this space? Someome recommended I could put my jewel in with my peacocks/haps. (Yes, I have them too.) In a couple months they will be getting a 125 of their own. I know it's not recommended, but.. guess depends on the fish too and the space. I welcome your comments and suggestions.

What exactly is a "geophagus blue neon"? Pictures, not familiar with any of that common name

I wasn't sure what he was, previous owner said blue neon. cichlid forum says gymnogeophagus sp. blue neon

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130727_011246.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130727_011246.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 105
He has some purplish red on lower fin, but can't see on pic

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130727_012842.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130727_012842.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 96
the guy I bought him from works at petsmart, though, so I don't know

I really like that guy so i researched some and a lot of the sites said this:(
Captive Care

Uruguay is a temperate country characterized by cool winters and sweltering summers. All of the fish from this region will do best in unheated aquariums, and heated tropical tanks seem to burn out most of the southern Gymnogeophagus species. When kept at too-warm temperatures for too long, these cichlids will be listless, drab, and will not live long lives. In mild climates, many of the fish will thrive in outdoor aquariums and ponds. Of all the Gymnogeophagus represented here, G. balzanii is perhaps the most heat-hardy of the assemblage, as they are found only in the extreme north of the country. The others will do well with neutral to slightly basic water of 60° to 77°F. Over the winter, water temperatures can drop to 40°F in nature. If these fish are maintained outdoors in mild areas, the fish will reward their keepers with intense breeding garbs and grand nuchal humps when the water temperature begins to rise in the spring. Aquaria of 30 gallons should be considered the minimum size to house the smaller representatives of the genus, such as G. rhabdotus, G. meridionalis, G. sp. “Catalan,” etc. The large-growing G. australis, G. balzanii, G. gymnogenys, and G. labiatus should not be kept in aquariums smaller than 50 gallons. The latter two species are quite active in captivity and really need ample swimming room to keep them satisfied.

I really like that guy so i researched some and a lot of the sites said this:(
Captive Care

Uruguay is a temperate country characterized by cool winters and sweltering summers. All of the fish from this region will do best in unheated aquariums, and heated tropical tanks seem to burn out most of the southern Gymnogeophagus species. When kept at too-warm temperatures for too long, these cichlids will be listless, drab, and will not live long lives. In mild climates, many of the fish will thrive in outdoor aquariums and ponds. Of all the Gymnogeophagus represented here, G. balzanii is perhaps the most heat-hardy of the assemblage, as they are found only in the extreme north of the country. The others will do well with neutral to slightly basic water of 60° to 77°F. Over the winter, water temperatures can drop to 40°F in nature. If these fish are maintained outdoors in mild areas, the fish will reward their keepers with intense breeding garbs and grand nuchal humps when the water temperature begins to rise in the spring. Aquaria of 30 gallons should be considered the minimum size to house the smaller representatives of the genus, such as G. rhabdotus, G. meridionalis, G. sp. “Catalan,” etc. The large-growing G. australis, G. balzanii, G. gymnogenys, and G. labiatus should not be kept in aquariums smaller than 50 gallons. The latter two species are quite active in captivity and really need ample swimming room to keep them satisfied.

I just found this site and read the article. Doesn't this say he would be ok at 60-77? I think if I kept it at around 76 that would be good for sevs oscar too, right? I'm wondering if I could keep the geo, 2 sevs, oscar and FM in the 125, is 6 ft...

I just found this site and read the article. Doesn't this say he would be ok at 60-77? I think if I kept it at around 76 that would be good for sevs oscar too, right? I'm wondering if I could keep the geo, 2 sevs, oscar and FM in the 125, is 6 ft...

Im not sure on either of the questions sorry but id try to get some better pictures and let someone here try to id it for you first just to be sure that is what it is.

He was previously identified on this site as geo brasilius (sp?) but then I emailed previous owner and he said blue neon. The 2 types look a lot alike. I will try to get better pics.
It's confusing that article says unheated tank, but then says they do ok at 60-77...?

yeah I might have to wait a while on definite ID, he's only about 2 in.

yeah I might have to wait a while on definite ID, he's only about 2 in.

Just remember, those oscars will get big fast. I wouldn't put anything but the sevrums and the oscars in there and a pleco if its a decent size otherwise its gonna be fish food

the blue neon max size 4 in. and brasiliensis is 8-10 in. .. yikes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom