Setting up a QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Dog Malcs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys

Well this week I learnt the hard way, I’ve lost 6 fish so far including my favourite 5cm plec, I’m gutted, loved that little guy!

Basically I had an outbreak of white spot in the tank, I first noticed it on my Threadfins, then one of my Harley’s got sick and finally my plec who died today.

It all seemed to happen after adding a Red wagtail Platy, who incidentally seems fine, I can see signs on my Neon Tetras and one of my other Platy’s is not looking great.

I’m buying the fish from reputable aquatic stores who have supposedly been quarantining the fish, I get it might be down to several things but it feels kinda coincidental.

Anyhow, I think moving forward I would rather take the chance away and setup a small QT tank before adding new fish, but my question is, does this tank need to be cycled before adding the fish, how small can I get away with and what ideally do I need in there? Would it have to be permanently setup to keep the cycle going, I don’t plan on adding fish often.

I’ve only had my main aquarium for a year and I’ve learnt a lot... the hard way. I have to say I never realised how many things can go wrong.

Appreciate any help anyone offers, over to you guys [emoji846]

You can cycle a QT tank by keeping some media in your filters on your main tank then add them to the filter on your QT tank when you get it going.

You don't have to have a cycled tank. Depending on what fish you get, the age of the fish when you purchase, and the number of fish you QT at once I'd say a 10 gallon is a good size. If you are QT'ing one or a couple juvies at a time then change 50% of the water every 3 days. Anything more than a couple juvies you will have to change more often. A full grown fish of medium size you will have to change more often.

Personally, I leave the tank bare bottom with maybe one decoration for a hiding spot. I use a turkey baster to clean up the fish poo daily and any left over food after feeding.

I run two filters on some tanks or even have a sponge filter or two in a tank so I can move it if any fish have to be removed. For Qt tanks being cycled is important to not stress the fish and acclimate them to the new water parameters safely .
In a Hospital tank a cycled filter is less important as meds and frequent water changes make the bacteria less necessary and / or severely impacted by meds and can actually cause an ammonia spike in its die off from some meds .
Most who set up an extra tank eventually just use it as their second or sixty second tank ....:facepalm::whistle:
Get kordon rid ich plus and treat main tank with fish in it to cure the ich..

Welcome to AA, Mad Dog.
Might set up a 10 gallon, with a heater and inexpensive sponge filter w/pump, on a permanent
basis. Use it as a grow out fry tank as well as for quarantine.
No need to learn fish keeping things the hard way. Post questions when ever needed. A lot of smart, experienced hobbiest and breeders on this forum.

I run two filters on some tanks or even have a sponge filter or two in a tank so I can move it if any fish have to be removed. For Qt tanks being cycled is important to not stress the fish and acclimate them to the new water parameters safely .
In a Hospital tank a cycled filter is less important as meds and frequent water changes make the bacteria less necessary and / or severely impacted by meds and can actually cause an ammonia spike in its die off from some meds .
Most who set up an extra tank eventually just use it as their second or sixty second tank ....:facepalm::whistle:
Get kordon rid ich plus and treat main tank with fish in it to cure the ich..

Thank buddy, appreciate the reply and advice, especially about the ich treatment, I used King British: Original Formula WS3 this time round.

Welcome to AA, Mad Dog.
Might set up a 10 gallon, with a heater and inexpensive sponge filter w/pump, on a permanent
basis. Use it as a grow out fry tank as well as for quarantine.
No need to learn fish keeping things the hard way. Post questions when ever needed. A lot of smart, experienced hobbiest and breeders on this forum.

Thank you and appreciate the welcome, appreciate the help. Agreed, there's a lot of knowledge in here, it would be rude not to tap it! (y)

Back
Top Bottom