Shy Clowns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynxpilot

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just bought first fish, an ocellaris clown, and it's just hiding behind the rocks in the back corner. It has 2 anemones (one bubble tip and one carpet) to choose from and no other fish in the tank. I guess I'm just surprised that a clown would be shy and hide like that. Is that typical for a fish that has just been moved?

Actually typical for any living thing, fish included. He needs to adjust to his new surroundings. Turn the lights off and he'll explore some and get more comfortable. Regarding the anemones, it's hit or miss and takes time. Some never will take to one.

What kind of tank do you have? How old is it?

I have a 120 (4' x 2' x 2'). About 150 lb. base rock and live rock. Refugium sump. Cleanup crew in place. It's been about 4 weeks set up now. Chemistry looks good so far as I can tell (8.2, NH3 undetectable, NO2 undetectable, NO3 about 10, Ca about 400, sg 1.025).

Just tried to feed the anemones for the first time. Put a piece of silversides on the bubble tip and the cleaner shrimp ran in and stole it. Carpet took his piece OK and has it wrapped up right now. I wasn't sure how much to give them. Each got about half of a silversides and I'm wondering if that's a bit much, at least for the bubble tip.

Put mysis shrimp in and the clown is not touching it.

These show the carpet and bubble tip anemones, the clown in his corner, and the overall tank view.

Attachments

• build4 001web.jpg
    build4 001web.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 64
  • build4 002web.jpg
    build4 002web.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 87
  • build4 003web.jpg
    build4 003web.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 67
  • build4 004web.jpg
    build4 004web.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 83
He'll be ok like Captain said just needs time to adjust it took my two when i got them 2 days before they started exploring.

I'd be more worried about the anemones in such a new tank. If you're only 4 weeks in you're still due for an algae spike (esp at 10 already). Those guys aren't gonna be happy. Also wondering what the clean up crew is eating? Not sure how many you have but with one fish there's not much cleaning up to do.

Luv the pic of the clown peeking around the corner though. Short of gobies, clowns are my favorites

Clean up crew is eating everything. I had a nice layer of brown (diatoms?) early on and they cleaned every speck of it. Anything that thinks about growing on the rocks is gone in a heartbeat. I've had some green color show up on the rocks and glass but the snails are generally on it right away. I'll be adding a few more ocellaris and doing frequent water changes. Hope that keeps it clean enough. Skimmer is working great.

I agree with Captain. The tank is rather new to house 2 anemones. Keep a very close eye on your water parameters and be prepared to frequent PWCs to keep the water in check. Anemones require extremely good water conditions along with strong lighting.

2 clowns is all you need in your tank. More then that and you will have a fight on your hands.

Well, I killed Nemo. I'm guessing my choice of healthy fish from the LFS wasn't so good. Did a good sized (25%) PWC, checked and rechecked chemistry, and got a pair of Ocellaris. Both fed right away, get along well, and seem quite content. I suspect the first ocellaris was ill to start. Found another store and noticed that their fish seemed a lot healthier. Chemistry is still really good. I think SG may have been a bit high at 1.026 and now it's 1.024 with RO as a base. Cleaner shrimp, cleanup crew, and anemones seem OK. Carpet anemone has already eaten twice. Bubble tip anemone found a niche where I set him and he's anchored in for the long haul. The carpet is presently on the move. I suspect he might want some more light. I'll just let them find their own places and once they're settled in, and if the water chemistry is near perfection, I'll look at tangs and corals.

Two ocellaris clowns and two blue tangs now. Amazing how well they get along. I was worried about conflicts, but they seem to be doing alright. I was also worried about having lost the first fish (ocellaris), but I'm convinced it was the fish. Chemistry still checks out OK and I've done a few PWC's (25% and 20%).

The tangs are incredibly active and eat like horses.

Both anemones are on the move. They have both fed on silversides and appear healthy. I'll keep checking the water and doing regular PWC's to keep them happy.

So far, so good (knock on wood).

Cleaner shrimp has been really shy and comes out very rarely. I'd have thought the opposite with them.

Attachments

• build7 029web.jpg
    build7 029web.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 72
my cleaner shrimp stayed hidden for almost a week. mine has slowly adapted to my tank. Now it comes up to my hand when i stick it in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom