Shy guppy :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awww! Sorry to hear about Dory! BUT, we have all learned lessons like this, and it just makes you that much better of a fishkeeper in the long run! It's always hard to lose a pet....
Dory might have just been too far gone from the ammonia.

It's interesting that since Dory was removed the glofish has become very aggresive. Chases the sunset fire platy nonstop. The platy doesn't hide, plenty of places to hide.

Hmmm, well I would suspect that the platy will not make it either, from being stressed by the goldfish. You can try rearranging the stuff in the tank, if possible. Is it just the two of them in there now? If it is, I would think that the goldie doesn't have anyone else to pick on except for the only guy left, so he harrasses him constantly, if that makes sense.

Yes, he meant glofish. I went back to the first post. Anyway, the other fish might be stressed to death anyway from being chased, doesn't matter if it's a glofish or goldfish....lol geez.

danios seem to be somewhat aggressive to their own kind at least... mine are always "fighting"... seems like every time i look in the tank, theyre playing with each other

Yes, glofish, not goldfish. No big whoop. Even though he chases the platy, the platy doesn't seem stressed. He doesn't hide. They both seem healthy. Taking Dory (what is left of him anyways) to the store today. I could get a full rebate but I really just want them to test my water for me since I haven't received my test kit yet. He only cost $1.99 and it is really my fault he didn't make it so I wouldn't feel right taking the rebate. I have no idea why I can't track my UPS of my test kit but I really hope it shows up today/tomorrow.

Yes, glofish, not goldfish. No big whoop. Even though he chases the platy, the platy doesn't seem stressed. He doesn't hide. They both seem healthy. Taking Dory (what is left of him anyways) to the store today. I could get a full rebate but I really just want them to test my water for me since I haven't received my test kit yet. He only cost $1.99 and it is really my fault he didn't make it so I wouldn't feel right taking the rebate. I have no idea why I can't track my UPS of my test kit but I really hope it shows up today/tomorrow.

Have your rebate! they supplied you the fish without telling you about cycling etc. I'm presuming they supplied the tank......

I did take the $1.99 back. The woman at the store (different person than I originally bought from) agreed that it was too early to put fish in and we should have been warned. She tested the water and said my ammonia is fine and then she babbled for about 3 minutes on nitrates/nitrogen and completely lost me. She did tell me I SHOULDN'T be doing partial water replacements though. She said I am taking out all the growth that the tank needs by doing this. I am under the impression that the "growth" primarily sticks to the hard surfaces and replacing the water is just taking out the ammonia. That is correct right? I am still going to do them daily until I get my test kit. Is this just another opinion or does she not know what she is talking about?

You are right, she is not. The good bacteria lives on the hard surfaces and the substrate. What does she consider "fine" for ammonia? LOL! 0 is the only fine IMO. Keep doing your pwc's, you are doing well.

I didn't really see the test strip, she really started talking about the test levels and all sorts of numbers that completely lost me. After she said I shouldn't be doing the water replacement I was afraid to tell her I did one about 2 hours prior to coming in. I am going with the advice from this forum, seems to be an agreement of information here and I would guess you all take this a bit more serious than a person getting paid 6 bucks an hour to stock shelves. No disrespect to the woman at the store though, I think she was giving me the best advice she knew.

Yeah, she probably was, but I would listen to the people on here too, like you are. If you notice on here also, a lot of people have problems with newly purchased fish being sick. LOL. Which must mean their tanks aren't as clean as they think they are. Maybe next time you go in there, you could politely inform her that 99% of the good bacteria lives on the surfaces, hardly any exists in the water column? LOL, she might be thankful, ya never know!
You are doing just fine, and doing a great job at that.

I did take the $1.99 back. The woman at the store (different person than I originally bought from) agreed that it was too early to put fish in and we should have been warned. She tested the water and said my ammonia is fine and then she babbled for about 3 minutes on nitrates/nitrogen and completely lost me. She did tell me I SHOULDN'T be doing partial water replacements though. She said I am taking out all the growth that the tank needs by doing this. I am under the impression that the "growth" primarily sticks to the hard surfaces and replacing the water is just taking out the ammonia. That is correct right? I am still going to do them daily until I get my test kit. Is this just another opinion or does she not know what she is talking about?

You will slow the process down. You take the ammonia out which is the bacterias food source, well the the first bacteria of the cycle. The flip side is you have fish in there so its one of two options.

A slower cycle and healthy fish. (most likely only slightly slower)
A faster cycle and unhealthy fish maybe permanently damaged fish and maybe even dead fish.

So there is some truth maybe but I know what option I'd take.

Okay, got the test kit. I think I am doing okay, right?
pH 7.6
ammonia .8
nitrite 0
nitrate 2.5

I haven't done my water cycle today so this water hasn't been touched for about 36 hours. Thoughts?

Thats great that you have a test kit. However, any ammonia or nitrites signal that you are still cycling and is dangerous for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom