snow white cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's exactly what my krib is like I'm just waiting for her to lay some eggs. Are your cockatoos in a community tank?

I really want to put 2 maingano 2 cockatoo im the tank with the rams but im not sure if thats to many for a 30 gallon tank but since the cockatoo is a dwarf and the ram and maingano are bot really aggressive i thought it would follow pretty mellow

Hobgob said:
That's exactly what my krib is like I'm just waiting for her to lay some eggs. Are your cockatoos in a community tank?

Mine are in a community...just got them last Sunday though so all I have is those two guys, 12 green neon tetras and 5 ghost shrimp...had six, but one got into the apisto cave and he turned into lunch! Oh and two mystery snails...still planning on 6-8 white skirt tetras, maybe a breeding pair of dwarf gouramis, and a bn pleco...the apistos don't pick on the fish...but sometimes they do nip at the inverts...mfdrookie also lost all of his RCS to his cockatoos

I really want to put 2 maingano 2 cockatoo im the tank with the rams but im not sure if thats to many for a 30 gallon tank but since the cockatoo is a dwarf and the ram and maingano are bot really aggressive i thought it would follow pretty mellow

The goal is not to mix south american and african cichlids. :facepalm:

They are totally different types of fish despite being members of the Cichlid family (which is a very diverse group of fish).

Different aggression levels, 'visual' language, dietary requirements, social requirements, etc.

Mbuna's such as melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (also known as the maingano, also known as the Electric Blue Johanni) are particularly ill-suited for tanks less than 48" in length (which typically means that a 55gal is the minimum aquarium they should be kept in). They're also best kept with other mbuna's, all of which is what Mogurako stated earlier.

Even in a 55gal the group size has to be correctly structured or aggression can get out of hand. When considering keeping mbuna's it is important to be aware that small aquariums (less than 55gal) and small quantity (less than 8) of mbuna's will both increase aggression levels.

I was thinking about mainagno because they get like 4" which is not to big for a 30g and im pretty sure it would get along with my rams

It's the territorial and aggressive nature of mbuna's such as maingano's which dictate placement in a larger tank, not the physical size of the fish.

The potential for the maingano's decimating the rams (and then each other if getting a pair) is high.

Well what if i put in a tank of a male and female rainbow cichlids because that is what i mixed it up with and if not what would go good with 2 rainbow cichlids in a 30g tank?

Don't the mbunas need more alkaline, and harder water? Or am I getting caught up in the chemistry again?

Yes, mbuna's and other rift lake african cichlids originate from alkalinity, high-pH environments in waters with high dissolved mineral content. Another difference between american and african cichlids.

Wild-caught specimens probably require these parameters replicated in an aquarium environment more than captive bred specimens (though I personally tend to maintain my rift lake tanks at high alkaline (18dkh/321ppm)/high pH (8.4) levels).

Back
Top Bottom