Some final questions before fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, just an update. I am gone until Sunday, but I got a call from the wife saying that two more are going to die for sure, and another two are on the fence. Looks like 2 lemons are for sure, and 1 lemon 1 diamond are on the fence. She said that they will go off on their own, seizure, and breathe heavy, and their skin starts to fall off.

I had come up with a plan, but if this is a disease then I need to figure out how to treat it before I can do too much.

Sean

Man...thats terrible. I have no idea what the problem would be. Any other symptoms you could identify?

The wife found 3 more dead lemon tetras this morning. She said a panda is on its way out too. I just hope that the pleco survives all of this.

Sean

Oh no! :( So how long has this been happening? Have you made any changes that you can think of before the fish started dying? Could anything have gotten into the tank (air freshener, antibacterial soap, cleaning products, etc)?

I added two panda corys a few days before I had a problem. I don't know if that was the cause of anything really, but I will no longer get fish from that store, and I will have a quarantine tank from now on (lesson learned the hard way). Other than that, nothing has changed.

Sucks. What a crappy weekend.

Sean

Here is a quick pic I took of my new Pleco today! I love this fish, so I had to throw it up :)

Sean

Attachments

• L183.jpg
    L183.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 42
Also, just to update a little. We had a Diamond tetra die on Sunday night, and nothing since. I'm not sure if I mentioned it here, but I started to suspect a new air freshener was causing some problems. We had recently gotten a plug in air freshener as a gift, and of course the wife plugged it in. Well I had read about things like that causing problems for the tank, so Friday when I started having the die off, I unplugged it. Friday night my wife plugged it back in because she didn't know why I removed it. Sunday when I got home I unplugged it again, and explained why. We had one fish die after that Sunday night, but none since. A couple looked like they wouldn't make it, but they are still going as of this morning. I would think if it was a parasite that came from the new Panda's that it would have killed more than just the 1 panda. Also if it came in with the Pleco, then why is that doing just fine? Lets hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks,
Sean

Thats could be it! Where was the air freshener in relation to the tank? I hope thats it, so now the problem would be fixed

It wasn't real close to the tank, probably 30' away. It was pretty strong, and I never liked it anyway :) I really hope that is it, and I am done with this problem.

Sean

Broke EF said:
It wasn't real close to the tank, probably 30' away. It was pretty strong, and I never liked it anyway :) I really hope that is it, and I am done with this problem.

Sean

I really hope so. I saw this whole build though, and its saddening to see this happen!

You're telling me, it was very demotivating to say the least. I am still not sure about a couple of fish, but I think the worst is behind me at this point. I am still planning on pulling the fish out so I can rearrange and clean the tank. AT that point I will have a quarantine tank and will start getting some new fish. I think I will start with the lemons since there are only 2 left, and maybe only 1 when this is all done. Then I will replace whatever Diamonds I need to, then Pandas, then let it be for a while and see how everyone does. Then once I am sure it is all going well, Ill get some GBR's and then the Angel :)

Quick question's about the quarantine tank. Should I leave it 100% bare (other than the driftwood when the Pleco is in there)? Also, what about light should I keep it on the same schedule as the main tank?

I am probably going to run my lights on a timer after the rebuild. I also want to upgrade my light soon, I'm thinking the marineland double LED. I know the panda's like lower light, would adding in some good hiding places suffice for lower light? As it is now they like to hangout under the little shelf created by the driftwood which is of course a shadow area.

Sean

Broke EF said:
You're telling me, it was very demotivating to say the least. I am still not sure about a couple of fish, but I think the worst is behind me at this point. I am still planning on pulling the fish out so I can rearrange and clean the tank. AT that point I will have a quarantine tank and will start getting some new fish. I think I will start with the lemons since there are only 2 left, and maybe only 1 when this is all done. Then I will replace whatever Diamonds I need to, then Pandas, then let it be for a while and see how everyone does. Then once I am sure it is all going well, Ill get some GBR's and then the Angel :)

Quick question's about the quarantine tank. Should I leave it 100% bare (other than the driftwood when the Pleco is in there)? Also, what about light should I keep it on the same schedule as the main tank?

I am probably going to run my lights on a timer after the rebuild. I also want to upgrade my light soon, I'm thinking the marineland double LED. I know the panda's like lower light, would adding in some good hiding places suffice for lower light? As it is now they like to hangout under the little shelf created by the driftwood which is of course a shadow area.

Sean

Ya, i suggest leaving the fish be for a bit longer, you dont want them to stress even more. After the tank is cleaned and all that, wait AT LEAST several weeks before you ad on to the schools. Be very careful.

For the QT, most to bare bottom because cleaning is easier. Your choice. Light doesnt matter, the fish could care less.

Cool about the light upgrade..are you going to add more plants? Im sure the corys would like that

Your little starlight is pretty cute. Glad to hear he is still doing well despite the other issues the tank has had.
I hope the air-freshener is the culprit so that the problems end now. Keep up updated. :)

Your pleco is adorable!!!!! I hope all your problems are solved!! My 20 gallon is in fish less cycle right now and I'm afraid I'll have issues once I get to adding fish too!

Thanks guys, I love that lil guy :) I know there is no size reference in the pic, but its still less than an inch long. I'm thinking of getting a second one I like it so much!

I am really hoping the air freshener was the problem, time will tell I guess. I am starting to gather all of the stuff I need for my rebuild. I will be sure to document it as best I can. Maybe I will do a time lapse of the tear down and rebuild.....

Sean

Back
Top Bottom