Some final questions before fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look into the Eheim Canister filters. They are quiet reliable and IMO have no equal. I run the Eheim classic 2215 canister filter on my 55 gal planted overstocked community. I also run an aqueon 3o for extra filtration. You can rarely have too much filtration, especially if your tank is "stocked pretty heavy". My filter is very quiet.

cheers!

Well its update time! As usual there is good and bad news to report. I guess we will start with the bad, since it kind of leads into the good. I have been fighting a cloudy tank for a little while now. I did a water change a few days early (about 50%) and it helped it for about a day. I kind of assumed it had something to do with my filter, and shrugged it off since I had the Fluval 306 on the way. Well the filter came in yesterday, but I was waiting to set it up. See, if you didn't already know I am a little OCD and because of that I had to make a change to the Fluval. The newer "06" models have a white/clear intake and discharge with white connectors (to a black hose), well that wouldn't do for me. So I ordered up the older "05" pieces, which are like a smoked black, with a black connector.

Anyway, I wanted to wait until I had all of the parts to set it all up. I still went ahead and rinsed everything and installed the gasket etc.. Well a little later I decided that I wanted to get it set up and going to start seeding it. So I go by the tank, and I was in the cabinet digging around and I looked and saw a dead Panda under my driftwood :( I assume he was there for a while, at least a few days and that was causing the cloudiness. So now I had to drain the tank, move the wood, get the dead fish out, move the tank, and set up the filter. The reason for moving the tank was to more permanently set up the filter on the side, so I had to move it over on the stand. I got all that done, and fixed my bubble wall that I pulled out when I started everything! It was probably an 80-90% water change, and then went to bed (late).

That brings us to the good news. The new filter is awesome, super quiet, and moves a ton of water! The tank is looking a lot more clear, AND the best part is all of the fish seem a LOT happier today!!! The Panda's have been kind of lax lately, which I assumed was because I had turned up the water temp, but today they were playing around! The tetras were a lot more active as well, and everyone was getting along great!

Also my Starlight Pleco should be on its way somewhat soon! Then I can add in the GBR's and the angel. Quick question, how long should I run both filters to seed the new one?

Sean

Well its update time! As usual there is good and bad news to report. I guess we will start with the bad, since it kind of leads into the good. I have been fighting a cloudy tank for a little while now. I did a water change a few days early (about 50%) and it helped it for about a day. I kind of assumed it had something to do with my filter, and shrugged it off since I had the Fluval 306 on the way. Well the filter came in yesterday, but I was waiting to set it up. See, if you didn't already know I am a little OCD and because of that I had to make a change to the Fluval. The newer "06" models have a white/clear intake and discharge with white connectors (to a black hose), well that wouldn't do for me. So I ordered up the older "05" pieces, which are like a smoked black, with a black connector.

Anyway, I wanted to wait until I had all of the parts to set it all up. I still went ahead and rinsed everything and installed the gasket etc.. Well a little later I decided that I wanted to get it set up and going to start seeding it. So I go by the tank, and I was in the cabinet digging around and I looked and saw a dead Panda under my driftwood :( I assume he was there for a while, at least a few days and that was causing the cloudiness. So now I had to drain the tank, move the wood, get the dead fish out, move the tank, and set up the filter. The reason for moving the tank was to more permanently set up the filter on the side, so I had to move it over on the stand. I got all that done, and fixed my bubble wall that I pulled out when I started everything! It was probably an 80-90% water change, and then went to bed (late).

That brings us to the good news. The new filter is awesome, super quiet, and moves a ton of water! The tank is looking a lot more clear, AND the best part is all of the fish seem a LOT happier today!!! The Panda's have been kind of lax lately, which I assumed was because I had turned up the water temp, but today they were playing around! The tetras were a lot more active as well, and everyone was getting along great!

Also my Starlight Pleco should be on its way somewhat soon! Then I can add in the GBR's and the angel. Quick question, how long should I run both filters to seed the new one?

Sean

Yikes sorry about the fish. :( That may have been the cause of the cloudy water as well and the fish could have been lethargic due to the toxin levels rising from the dead fish, but it seems like everything is better now. :D

I'd run the old filters as long as you can, at least 3 weeks anyway. I don't know what filters you had before but if the old media can fit into the new one that would work as well that way you don't have to run the old filters too unless you want to use them for another tank later on.

At the very least 2 weeks, but more is better!

Im so sorry about the news. I dont recommend adding the new fish when others are having a rough time.

Yeah, I may take the filter pads out and put them in the canister. That way I can shut off that loud *** filter :)

I hadn't added any fish in quite a while, and I don't think my pleco is coming real soon. We are both concerned about the weather, but at this point it wont be getting any better so we will see. Hopefully the fish stay as happy as there are today!

Sean

OK, so I put one of the filter pads in the canister, I couldn't fit both. They have both been running now for about a week. Fish seem very happy, and all of them are doing well. I moved my driftwood to get the dead fish, and when I put it back it created a shady spot. The panda's seem to love hanging out there now when they are not playing around :)

On to the bad news. My tank is still cloudy!!! I tested my water last night and it was,

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10-15ppm (maybe a touch darker than 10)
PH: over 7.6 (just like always)

I didn't test High Range PH, because I was thinking it may have crashed. I did a 50% water change last night, and I didn't get a good look at the tank yet today. I dont think I am over feeding, and the sand seems clean. When I do a water change I try and suck up whatever is on the sand, and there really is never anything. I have always read with sand you need to have the tube as close to the sand as possible without sucking it all up. I will usually have it where it is just lifting the sand into the tube. I really never notice anything being pulled up and out though. Is that the wrong way to do this?

I am starting to think that it may just be my water. I am thinking of changing to RO/DI water. I have a lot of questions on that, but I will research for a while first before I just start asking away.

Lets hear everyone's thoughts on this though. I want nice clear water, and happy, healthy fish!!!

Thanks,
Sean

It doesn't sound like you are using the siphon wrong, and the new Fluval should have improved your water clarity. Strange. How long have you been running the Fluval since you got the dead Panda out?

I have heard that, with sand, you hav to stir it up regularly to prevent harmful, toxic stuff building up in it. Someone also mentioned using Purigen in their filter for a cloudy tank.

It has been running about a week and a half with the fluval. I started up the new filter at the same time I pulled the dead fish out.

I have heard that too, but how often do you need to stir it up? I have moved around a lot of the sand fixing the bubble walls, plants etc. I don't think that much or any of the sand as never been disturbed for a long period of time.

Sean

OK, so I put one of the filter pads in the canister, I couldn't fit both. They have both been running now for about a week. Fish seem very happy, and all of them are doing well. I moved my driftwood to get the dead fish, and when I put it back it created a shady spot. The panda's seem to love hanging out there now when they are not playing around :)

On to the bad news. My tank is still cloudy!!! I tested my water last night and it was,

Nitrates: 10-15ppm (maybe a touch darker than 10)
PH: over 7.6 (just like always)

I didn't test High Range PH, because I was thinking it may have crashed. I did a 50% water change last night, and I didn't get a good look at the tank yet today. I dont think I am over feeding, and the sand seems clean. When I do a water change I try and suck up whatever is on the sand, and there really is never anything. I have always read with sand you need to have the tube as close to the sand as possible without sucking it all up. I will usually have it where it is just lifting the sand into the tube. I really never notice anything being pulled up and out though. Is that the wrong way to do this?

I am starting to think that it may just be my water. I am thinking of changing to RO/DI water. I have a lot of questions on that, but I will research for a while first before I just start asking away.

Lets hear everyone's thoughts on this though. I want nice clear water, and happy, healthy fish!!!

Thanks,
Sean

I'd be careful with RODI water. If you used pure RODI you'd have to reconstitute it with minerals and I'm not sure of how much that would contribute to the dissolved solids in the water over time; seems like more work than it's worth. Plus the fish are used to your water so you'd have to switch over very slowly if you were going to do it and pure RODI water would have a very different PH than your water does now.

My tank never seems crystal clear either. I've heard good things about UV filters, you might try one of those to see if it can clear things up. You might also try running some filter floss in the filter to catch smaller particles which could clear the water as well. You could also try stopping the air stone for a while and seeing if that clears things up; sometimes the bubbles from the air stones will catch in the filter flow and cause smaller bubbles to form and shoot around the tank causing it to look cloudy.

Someone on another thread said they stir it once a month. Can you post a pic of the cloudiness? Are you sure it's not on the glass?

I always thought RO water was the ideal water for aquariums. I do realize that I would have to add a supplement to to though since it strips away everything. Like I said, I haven't moved forward with it yet, just thinking out loud. I have tried turning off the air stone previously, and it didn't change anything. It is defiantly not on my glass, and in fact my glass stays very clean. I did run the mag float over it just to be sure the other day though. The UV filter is an option that I have been thinking about. Its something I don't know much about, so I need to read up on them a little more.

This isnt a new pic, but this is how it looks, maybe a little more clear now.
IMG0885-XL.jpg

As for stirring up the sand, I never have fully yet. I thought you would see some spikes though if there was a problem with that? Whats the process, pull everything out, turn off the filters, and mix it all up? Then I'd guess after its all messed up do your water change so you suck a lot of the crud out that is floating around.

I don't know if its good, or bad yet, but I am getting a fish today. My starlight pleco is showing up today. I am worried about it, but we tried to get it shipped before the weather turned on us. Although today is pretty cold, we had been about 50 for the past week and in Chicago this time of year that is un-heard of. Hopefully everything works out, my water always test perfect, just isn't as nice looking as I would like.

Thanks guys,
Sean

There's a thread on cleaning sand going right now. There's a YouTube video on easy sand cleaning. The guy just turned off filter and heater, took his finger and ran it around in the sand, then gently vacuumed above the sand. You probably want to let it settle a bit before turning on your filter.

Well can anyone recommend a good UV sterilizer? I have been looking for a little while, and everyone I find has just as many horrible reviews as good ones.

Anyway, on to the exciting stuff my new fish!!!! He came in about 10:30 today and seemed active in the bag. I gently acclimated him, and probably half way though he was stuck to the side of my acclimation container which I took as a good sign. When I put him in the tank he went straight to the front glass and latched on. The tetras took a bit of interest in him, so I gave them a bit of food to distract them. When I did he disappeared into the darkness. After about 4 hours or so I finally turned on the lights, and he was stuck to the intake tube on my HOB filter. Seems to be real active moving around a lot, but mostly in that area. Must be some good algae back in there :) He is a hard little bugger to get a picture of, usually stays on the back side of the tube, or on the wall behind it. It doesn't help that the tank is cloudy, so I have to shoot though that as well.

Sean

Attachments

• L183.jpg
    L183.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 49
  • L183-2.jpg
    L183-2.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 53
Well, more bad news. I woke up to a dead lemon Terra, and I expect another dear by the time I get home. This is the first lemon Terra to pass away in my tank. The other has a white stripe down its side, and was moving its mouth open and closed very quickly. I really want to know what's going on. I don't like any fish dying, but they are going at a pretty steady rate lately. I need to get to the bottom of this water issue.

Sean

I came home to two more dead lemons today. So that is now 3 dead lemon tetras in less than 24 hours. Could it be too much flow/current in my tank? I do have two rather large filters running right now. But there are areas where its not so bad from what I can see.

I tested my water as soon as I pulled the dead fish out and it looks perfect.

Nitrates: ~10

WHAT SHOULD I DO?! I don't want any more fish dying, but I really don't want my new pleco to die!!!

HELP!!!
Sean

OK, I just did a 50% water change. While I was doing it I counted fish, and I am short 1 lemon. I had 8 total, and 3 died but I only count 4 in the tank. One was so pale I thought it was a Diamond tetra for a while. So either I thought I had 8 and really had 7, or one is MIA. I looked around and didn't see another body anywhere. I was hesitant to pull decorations for fear of stirring the sand. I am going to borrow a friends 29 gallon tank this weekend/early next week and put all of the fish in there and do a through cleaning of my tank.

I don't know what else to do at this point. This is becoming very frustrating.

Sean

Back
Top Bottom