Some final questions before fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, would I be able to add the GBR's before the pleco or should I wait until after? I know the Angel will have to be last, but I wasn't sure about the GBR's.

Thanks,
Sean

Broke EF said:
So, would I be able to add the GBR's before the pleco or should I wait until after? I know the Angel will have to be last, but I wasn't sure about the GBR's.

Thanks,
Sean

After the plec, they are pretty sensative so you should wait

I'm a little worried about this guy. He is usually seperated from the group, is usually in that same spot (in the current from the filter output) has a redish face, and that white thing on his right side. What do the experts out there think? He does move around, and eats, but is far less active than the rest of the pandas.

Sean

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111214_220440.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111214_220440.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 49
  • ForumRunner_20111214_220500.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111214_220500.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 49
Are you sure you arent just looking into it a bit to far? ;) lol

But if he isnt moving, i would be worried. Being separate is unusual but i have fish that lile to be alone too...just depends i guess. Do you think he has some disease or parasite? Does he have white spots on the fins that would indicate ick?

I could be :)

He moves, but you can find him in the same spot just chillin more often than not. He only has the one big spot on his face, which didn't come through on the pics very well. Maybe I will get out the camera today and get a better pic of him.

Sean

Some pics!

1.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

25.jpg

33.jpg

51.jpg

I tried to get a pic of the small panda with the white spot, but he was hiding.

On another note, I still haven't changed my water (since 12-11) and my readings today were:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20

So it looks like things have settled down some. I am going to do a 25% water change tomorrow, but everything seems good!!!

Sean

Some pics!

1.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

25.jpg

33.jpg

51.jpg

I tried to get a pic of the small panda with the white spot, but he was hiding.

On another note, I still haven't changed my water (since 12-11) and my readings today were:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20

So it looks like things have settled down some. I am going to do a 25% water change tomorrow, but everything seems good!!!

Sean

Looks nice! Tank looks very clear. Personally I'd suggest a 50% water change. Nitrates are approaching the high end and water changes replace nutrients in the water that the fish use up. :)

Thanks guys!

I can do a 50%, shouldn't be a problem :) It will give me more time to give the sand a good cleaning as well :) Although, it doesn't look too bad really, but I'm sure it needs it.

Sean

Enjoy it now, it won't look clean for long. I didn't realize how much fish poop (even small ones!). I'm always fighting to keep the sand looking clean. :banghead:

librarygirl said:
Enjoy it now, it won't look clean for long. I didn't realize how much fish poop (even small ones!). I'm always fighting to keep the sand looking clean. :banghead:

I agree..it is tough! Black gravel is the way to go lol...cant see the poop/crud unless you reeeally focus

Yeah, I know eventually I will have a harder time keeping it look nice but that's how it goes.

I was unable to do the water change last night, so I will test it, change it, and test again when I get home. I was able to pick up some frozen blood worms and also frozen Tubifex Worms (smaller than blood worms). When I put them in the fish went nuts!! I am pretty sure they liked them :) They are only going to be a treat every once in a while though, I'm thinking once a week or so, and a variety of flakes the rest of the time. What do the experts think?

Sean

Broke EF said:
Yeah, I know eventually I will have a harder time keeping it look nice but that's how it goes.

I was unable to do the water change last night, so I will test it, change it, and test again when I get home. I was able to pick up some frozen blood worms and also frozen Tubifex Worms (smaller than blood worms). When I put them in the fish went nuts!! I am pretty sure they liked them :) They are only going to be a treat every once in a while though, I'm thinking once a week or so, and a variety of flakes the rest of the time. What do the experts think?

Sean

Ya, sounds great! I Dont ever lile to feed my fish the same thing...they may like it jist the same but nahh. I feed quite a variety too..

Monday- 1.5 wafers (all the fish eat, except eel)
Tuesday-bloodworms (for the eel and catfish)
Wednesday-flakes (for tetras, angels, hatchet...and guppy)
Thursday- 1.5 wafers
Friday- bloodworms and flakes
Saturday-fasting day
Sunday- flakes, and waterchange.

I got some Omega One algae wafers (sinking ones) and they dont seem very excited about them. They will eat them (I assume) but they dont ever go after them really. I noticed that even the tetras will pick at them, seems more like the lemons though. Maybe Ill try some veggie wafers as well? I also have a sample of food from Angels plus (micro grind) they they seem to like as well. I have never tried to only feed them that though, usually a smaller amount of flakes, and some of that mixed in.

Gboy66, do you feed once a day? also why the day of fasting in there?

Thanks,
Sean

Broke EF said:
I got some Omega One algae wafers (sinking ones) and they dont seem very excited about them. They will eat them (I assume) but they dont ever go after them really. I noticed that even the tetras will pick at them, seems more like the lemons though. Maybe Ill try some veggie wafers as well? I also have a sample of food from Angels plus (micro grind) they they seem to like as well. I have never tried to only feed them that though, usually a smaller amount of flakes, and some of that mixed in.

Gboy66, do you feed once a day? also why the day of fasting in there?

Thanks,
Sean

Well sounds good. My fish go crazy for ANYTHING i add...i dunno why! Haha yes i feed every day except for saturday. It is recommended because fish wont eat every day in the wild, and eat as much as possible when food is available, so you dont want to overfeed..:)

Well, just a little after Christmas update. First the bad news, I lost another Panda. If you remember a while back I posted about one that didn't look so good. It had a big white spot on its face, didn't move much, and was smaller than the rest. Well last Friday it finally died.

On to the good news, the remaining fish all seem very healthy and active. They know when I am going to feed them and come to the top to greet me. My second filter (Aqueon QuiteFlow 50), and the second heater (Aqueon Pro 200W), so that will be going in tonight. When I did my water change last week I finally cleaned out my filters (pretty bad) and got all of the sand out from there as well. I did a water change yesterday and my nitrates were right around 5ppm when done. I have also got the water up to 80, and all of the fish seem fine as far as I can tell. I also have been switching up the diet as much as I can, and dont feed them one day a week.

Now lets talk about upgrades, and changes. I think I am going to add a second Rena 400 air pump to make my bubble walls a little more "active" looking. I may also look into changing the wands for a different brand/type to see if I can get a better effect. I am also interested in upgrading my light. The stock light that I got with the tank just isn't cutting it for me anymore, seems too dark. I am thinking of getting a dual bulb T5 H.O. fixture. Remember I have no plants, and no real plans for any, I just want more light. Lets hear what you experts have to say on that. Other than that, I think I want to add in some rock work to give some hiding places for the panda's and the pleco which I should be getting soon.

That's about all for now. I got some new camera gear for Christmas, so I should have some new (better) pics soon.

Thanks,
Sean

Bummer about your panda. Good to hear the rest of the fish are doing well though. :)
Yeah, a lot of the stock lights are pretty poor. My tank came with a decent one, but I just grow low-light plants anyway, so it works. If you don't want plants, I think there may be some options that are brighter than what you have but cheaper than the T5s.

I'm all ears when it comes to lights. I have found a 2 bulb T5 H.O. set up for about $100, which is also the price of an LED set up I was looking at. The LED's just seem like they wouldn't have the same amount of light, and like they wouldn't be as even. I know that's not true, but it seems like it.

Last night I tried to install the Aqueon 50, and it doesn't fit! The 3D background add too much thickness for it to clear. I had to trim a little for the 55/75 that's on the tank now, but never thought that the smaller filters may be different. I don't want to trim that much, so Ill probably just hold onto it as a back up. It still has the advantage of using the same filter as my current one, so in an emergency I could put it on the tank with a filter from the current unit and still have BB. We will see, I am thinking about changing to a canister filter, but I'm not sure just yet.

Hopefully I will have some time today to get the second heater in the tank. My temps have been moving around more than I would like now that its getting cold around here. We turn the heat way down in the house during the day, and I think the single heater struggles to keep up. Its only swinging a max of 2 degrees, but I would prefer more like .5 of a degree max.

Sean

This is copied from another thread in the equipment section, so some of it is redundant but its easier to just have it all in one place.

Hey guys, I am looking to possibly change to a canister filter and had some questions. Currently my set up is

Aqueon 46 Gallon Bow Front
Aqueon glass lid, and standard light
Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75 filter
Two Aqueon Pro 200 watt heaters
Rena 400 air pump with two 10" bubble wands on the sides

This is a freshwater tank, that is NOT planted (no immediate plans for planting either). My current stock is

8 x Lemon Tetra
8 x Diamond Tetra
7 x Panda Cory (actually 6 right now, I had one die that will be replaced)

Fish to be added
1 x Starlight Pleco (L183) This is already ordered, just waiting for it to get big enough to ship
2 x German Blue Rams
1 x Angel

To bring you up to speed on everything, I am currently only running the Aqueon 55/75 filter, but did buy a Aqueon 50. Unfortunately when I went to install it, it did not clear the 3D background and I dont want to trim it for a HOB filter. The 55/75 that is on it is getting loud (it has sucked in sand) which is why I was trying to add a second filter, or change to a canister type. As I said I also have two heaters (second one needs to be installed) because as its getting colder outside (we turn the heat down while at work) the single heater is having bit of a hard time keeping up. I like having a back up either way.

So like I said, the current filter has me worried enough that I want to just change it out BEFORE it fails. It is not very old, but I was dumb and ran it when the sand was still settling. I will probably just hold onto it as a back up since it can keep my tank nice and clean by itself really. I will just replace the impeller or motor (however its sold).

So I have been looking at canisters, and wanted to hear everyone's thoughts. I am looking mostly at the Fluval 406, which seems to be nice, but pretty new. Looking at other threads I have seen people with similar sized tanks being recommended the Fluval 306, but I am stocked pretty heavy. Is there any advantage to running multiple canisters, like two 206's? How quiet are canister filters, mainly the 406? Anybody have any things to look out for, tips, tricks, etc?

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thank you,
Sean

Back
Top Bottom