Started my fishless cycle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats great!!!! The active filter is finally kicking into gear! Go ahead & dose again & lets hope for even better numbers tommorrow! :) :)

Holy cow!!!!!! I dosed up to 2ppm yesterday and today my results are: ammo 0, nitrites 1.0ppm, nitrates not quite 160ppm yet but over 80ppm and Ph is 7.6.....

yay! glad your cycle is moving along... been keeping tabs on your progress. you will be done before you know it!!

Thanks Heather! It feels good to know someone else is checking....lol. Hopefully I'll be there soon!

Its not so much about how high they will go (they can go off the charts) but that your amm & nitrite zero out. Your amm is finally zeroing & your nitrites are starting to drop...we just need to wait a bit more for that tube to turn blue! Water changes will bring your nitrates under contol when its time to get fish so no worries about them yet. :)

OK....so dosing ammo to 2 will be OK right? Just getting a few fish at first is fine w/me cuz I'm still deciding. Pretty much set on some cories though :)

2ppm is fine for now with all the issues this tank has had. Once your amm/nitrite have steadily zeroed, we can increase the amm a bit gradually over a few days to build up a greater amount of bb or you can just stock slowly. It really will be up to you on how you would like to approach it. :)

I have had good luck with my peppered cory catfish. They are really shiny when the light hits them right. I used them to do a fish in cycle on my 10 gal. Pretty hardy little guys.

By the way i read all 23 pages of your fishless cycle. I just started my 55 gal last week. What advice do you have now after havinig gone through this?

Hi xsryman! My best advice would be to get a seeded filter ASAP and have lots of patience!! The people here give good advice so don't be afraid to ask any questions. Good luck!

Hooray!!! :dance: Your tank had me a bit worried and I wasn't sure what else to suggest, so I'm glad things are moving along! It just needed a kick in the pants. :)

I cycled a 48ltr tank with no seeded material and no fish in 21 days.
Saying I didnt use seeded material is not 100% true as I did use the Aqua Pure balls which hold good bacteria. So a combination of those and pure ammonia did the trick for me...
Added ammonia so that I had 4-5ppm in the tank. Then monitored it once it slowly began to drop in ppm I kept on topping it up to 4-5pmm until one night when I checked it had dropped to 0 ppm. Again I topped it up to 4-5ppm and started monitoring the Nitrites... those took a little longer to be absorbed by the filter however once that was done I kept on feeding the bacteria ammonia and each time I checked my levels they came back with nitrites at 0 ammonia at 0 then the nitrates shot up which then indicated a time to do the water change before I added 2 yamato shrimp - a few days later 6 guppies were introduced, now its been just over a week, Ive done one 10ltr water change, my ammonia and nitrite levels are in at 0 my ph is at 7.6 and unfortunately we had one shrimp die on us - not due to the water but due to the lack of it as he managed to get out the tank somehow... need to close the access gaps in the lid for the wiring and air hose... on Thursday another 6 fish will be introduced (Endler guppies) and some red cherry shrimp and possibly another yammato shrimp to keep the other company ;-)

Glad to hear it went so well for you nightstalker! I would've loved to finish in 21 days :) I'm thinking of getting some guppies also!

Glad to hear it went so well for you nightstalker! I would've loved to finish in 21 days :) I'm thinking of getting some guppies also!

how bigs your tank...
I'm sure the aqua pure balls had a saying in how quick I managed to cycle the tank...
Guppies seem sweet, supposed to be pretty hardy fish so a good starter for myself - and my eldest chose... he had a choice of freshwater fish and went for the guppies... now we need to keep the tank friendly so for my daughters birthday she can choose between hybrid endlers, minnows and tetras(glowlight tetras etc)... The shrimp are my choice, I did want to get an assassin snail or dwarf frogs to cull the pond snail population.. but her indoors doesnt like the fact that the poor wee snails will be killed and eaten...

I have a 29gal.....I'm thinking of guppies and maybe a couple schools of some sort of tetra (I like so many), some Cory catfish and possibly red cherry shrimp also!

I have a 29gal.....I'm thinking of guppies and maybe a couple schools of some sort of tetra (I like so many), some Cory catfish and possibly red cherry shrimp also!

do the shrimp and cory catfish get on?
I had a friend of mine who had 2 angel fish and some guppies, he introduced 4 cherry shrimp and they, believe it or not, became an expensive snack for someone in his tank... they were only wee so my guess is that the angels might have gobbled them :(
As for the Tetras, yeah there are a few out there, I like the cardinals, glowlight(Tail) and the Black xrays (I think they are called that)... then I came accross the Hybrid Endlers guppies - full of colour... so we'll see what the daughter selects on Thursday...
I personally would like to get my hand on some Christal Cherry shrimp... but they seem as rare as rocking horse :zip:

I think I've heard the shrimp and cories do OK but I'm not 100% sure....I'll have to find out...lol. I have read that the angels do sometimes eat shrimp so they are probably the ones that had the snack :) same here, I have to see if the kids have any preferance as to what I stock but I don't think they'll mind much as long as I put SOMETHING in, they're getting impatient!

well... we did have the plants in there and the air bubbles... then came the snails and the algae ;-) which 2 shrimp made a quick meal of.. blyme they pretty much cleaned up the algae within 48hrs of being in the tank

Back
Top Bottom