Starting a 55gal Tropical Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aremihc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am starting a 55 gallon Tropical Community tank soon. I plan to do live plants, and have a great mentor for that. Basically I want to plan it all out so I don't screw up somewhere. The question I'm asking here is if the following fish community would be sustainable and healthy. Thanks

16 Zebra Danio---Danio rerio
5 Cherry Barb---Puntius titteya
6 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish---Melanotaenia Praecox
3 Zebra Loach---Botia striata
6 Otocinclus Catfish---Otocinclus Affinis
4 Black Neon Tetra---Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi

Live Planted, with an Emperor 400 Biowheel Filter.

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with that... although I wouldn't add the ottos untill the tank is well established. I'm not a big fan of them in general. But from the fish you have listed, you're far from overstocking.

I would up the Black neons to at least 6 and the cherry barbs to at least six. Cherry barbs can get really nippy if not kept with plenty of there own to nip on. Neons are very nice fish and do well in lg groups they school really pretty togethere.

Planted Community Tank Start-Up

You may consider increasing your filtration by another filter like the BioWheel you have noted, or a canister filter. I have a "settled in" 55 gal. heavily planted community tank that requires 2 h.o.b. power filters (1 is large BioWheel equipped) and an XP-2 canister filter. With prefilter sponges on the power filters, I rinse the filter cartridges once every 2 weeks, and clean the canister filter once a month. This recommendation is based on my experience only.

Back
Top Bottom