Starting New Tank today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can run the skimmer during cycling if you like, it will need a few weeks to break in so might as well start now. lol

What type of water did you add to the tank? You should have pretty much 0 phosphates since you arent feeding the tank or adding anything.

Also if you have trates it means some of the ammonia is being converted, just not alot right now.
Hi Carey - welcome back! Thank you for all of your advice and comments. I started my tank with my well water. I never had a problem with using it on my freshwater tanks over the last 10 years so didn't see where it would be much of a problem. I really have nowhere to install a ro/di system so I can't invest in that so I might look into getting water from my lfs or walmart. As for the water already in my tank I'm thinking about using GFO or Phosguard. If anyone has any experience with either of these products let me know which one you think is best. I watched a really good video on youtube using a carbon based filter media and phosguard in a sump, because I don't have a sump but I do have a canister filter I'm thinking about using the two items in my canister and cleaning it out every 2 weeks.

Hi Carey - welcome back! Thank you for all of your advice and comments. I started my tank with my well water. I never had a problem with using it on my freshwater tanks over the last 10 years so didn't see where it would be much of a problem. I really have nowhere to install a ro/di system so I can't invest in that so I might look into getting water from my lfs or walmart. As for the water already in my tank I'm thinking about using GFO or Phosguard. If anyone has any experience with either of these products let me know which one you think is best. I watched a really good video on youtube using a carbon based filter media and phosguard in a sump, because I don't have a sump but I do have a canister filter I'm thinking about using the two items in my canister and cleaning it out every 2 weeks.

You don't have a sink? Because that's all kit takes for most ro units these days. I'd also recommend cleaning the canister weekly, as they can trap detritus and leach nitrates.

I happen to like phosguard better than gfo, I never had any luck with the gfo, it always clogged and took too long in my opinion. lol

I would put the reccomended amount of phosguard in a filter bag and then add to one of the trays in your canister. Are you running a canister fulltime? If so, they do need to be cleaned quite frequently like mentioned above. I ran a fluval 305 on my 29g and then my 55g and always had 0 nitrates. It can be done, just a bit more work.
I would either look into a portable ro/di unit or see what your lfs charges. In the long run, it does pay to buy an actual unit, it will save you alot of money. Plus its nice to be able to make water in an emergency like on a sunday night after the lfs is closed, sometimes that can be a matter of life and death for your tank.

here is a sample of what I found on ebay

0ppm Portable 100GPD Reverse Osmosis Ro Di Filtration | eBay

I used this very unit for over a year until i had enough money to buy a big bulk reef supply setup. I also make a crap ton of water, lol, so it was necessary for me to get a larger unit while you can probably get by with the one I linked.

I happen to like phosguard better than gfo, I never had any luck with the gfo, it always clogged and took too long in my opinion. lol

I would put the reccomended amount of phosguard in a filter bag and then add to one of the trays in your canister. Are you running a canister fulltime? If so, they do need to be cleaned quite frequently like mentioned above. I ran a fluval 305 on my 29g and then my 55g and always had 0 nitrates. It can be done, just a bit more work.
I would either look into a portable ro/di unit or see what your lfs charges. In the long run, it does pay to buy an actual unit, it will save you alot of money. Plus its nice to be able to make water in an emergency like on a sunday night after the lfs is closed, sometimes that can be a matter of life and death for your tank.

here is a sample of what I found on ebay

0ppm Portable 100GPD Reverse Osmosis Ro Di Filtration | eBay

I used this very unit for over a year until i had enough money to buy a big bulk reef supply setup. I also make a crap ton of water, lol, so it was necessary for me to get a larger unit while you can probably get by with the one I linked.
I had just picked out that exact same ro/di portable except in the 50gl to purchase. Glad to hear that it works well. It's only $7 more for the 100gl so I think I will purchase that one.

Also, I'm not running my canister yet. I thought I would run it with the Phosguard in it when it comes in (just ordered it) until phos goes down.

You don't have a sink? Because that's all kit takes for most ro units these days. I'd also recommend cleaning the canister weekly, as they can trap detritus and leach nitrates.
Thank you for the information Big Red. I didn't realize you could get a portable one, so I just purchased one to use at my kitchen sink! Thanks for the advice on cleaning the filter every week I'll definitely make sure I do that. :)

Aww thats too bad. BUT it happens, now you can finish your cycle without worrying about it.
Yep, that ro unit is pretty good. Just make sure you request the adapter you need such as a sink adapter or a garden hose one. I use my hose in the back to run my ro/di.
The filters will need to be replaced in like 6-12 months which will run you maybe $25. The membrane is good for a few years so youre good on that.

Skimmer is going!

Well my Reef Octopus BH1000 is going. Not getting much foam but I've watched videos that said there is a breaking in period so I'll keep my eyes on it.

I also went ahead and started my Cascade 1000 canister with some carbon. I'm starting to get some green algae and I won't get my phos guard until next week

Since I'm getting a little algae should I go ahead and get a couple of snails? Algae is on rocks not in sand or on glass.

Testing Testing

All my extra test kits came in so I checked everything tonight.

Temp 77
Salinity 1.021-1.022
pH 8.2
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20
Mg 870
Ca 270
Alk dkh 10.5
Phos >.64

I know my
Phos is high I have Phos Guard on its way to me
Mg and Ca both are low do I need to do anything to bring these up?

LR and LS in tank nothing else.

I still have the shrimp in the bottom of tank. I've not seen an ammonia spike yet so I guess it's ok to leave it in there until the ammonia spikes. It appears to have a white coating all over it.

I plan on doing WC as soon as I see the cycle happen and I'll bring salinity up during the WC.

Brown Algae

I now have brown algae all over everything. What do I do to get rid of it? My Phos guard won't be here until Thursday. My ro/di filter should be here on Thursday as well. Should I wait until all that comes in? Is there anything else I should treat the water with? I'll do a good water change and filter change when ro/di is in.

It could just be diatoms. They go away with time.It is an indication that your tank may be either nearing the end of the cycle or the cycle is complete.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It could just be diatoms. They go away with time.It is an indication that your tank may be either nearing the end of the cycle or the cycle is complete.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Do I not need to do anything if it is diatoms? From what it looks like I think it is. Should I go ahead and get a CUC to help keep it clean?

Last night I put my Phos Guard in a fluval bag and put it in my canister filter to run on my tank until the algae is gone. I'm also keeping the lights off on the tank until I see the diatoms start to disappear. Hoping this will help get rid of the diatoms and my tank will soon look beautiful!

Diatom Bloom!

Well it's been an entire week and I still have a huge diatom bloom! Or what I think is one. My params are 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrate, 10 Nitrate. My Phos is down about 1/2 way to .32. I'm using the Phos Guard in my canister filter. How long do you think it will take for the diatom bloom to go away or is there something that I should do to get rid of it?

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 127
I am sorry I do not really have any advice to remove the diatoms.I haven't had any experience with it yet. if your tank is cycled maybe try a large wc. Good luck!

it's something that every new tank goes thru
it will go away in time but you can help it along also
bigger water changes and gently suck up the top layer on the sand just try to get the nasty s not the sand

Can't stand it anymore!

Well the crazy brown algae is out of control and I can't stand it!!! I'm going to do another wc this weekend and I'm going tonight to buy some snails. The tank is so UGLY!!! :(

Water is still testing good. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Trates 10

What type of sand did you use?
I used CaribSea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite Sand. I'm starting to see tiny orange and black worms coming out of the sand now too.

I used liverock I got from a tank at Petco.

The tank was perfectly clean for 2-3 weeks and then BAM I had diatoms and its gotten worse. There is also some green algae on a few of the rocks but not bad.

Back
Top Bottom