stocking 75 gal malawi mbuna tank. help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dornblaser1

Aquarium Advice Regular
so i am in the process of cycling my 75, i originally wanted to have electric blue johanni but now i did some research and i would like to do maybe 12-15 demasoni, some yellow labs and i dont know what else to do i would like to add color maybe a purple any suggestions? maybe acei?

If your going with dems then I'd only add one other species to the tank, the most common choice would be Labidochromis caeruleus giving you the classic yellow and blue.

Last edited:
Johannis will still give you yellow and blue, plus its easy to tell who is male and female. Demasoni are awesome fish though but pack a punch.

why do you say they pack a punch and could i do johannis labs and maybe acei or somthing else maybe purple? the reason i say purple is i have to have purple or more color for my girlfriend to make her happy otherwise i would just do johannis or dems

Demasoni are extremely conspecific aggressive which is the reason they should be stocked in higher numbers than most mbuna. I don't think pseudotropheus acei would fair well with them.

ok well how about melanochromis johannii (6-8) or Pseudotropheus demasoni (12-13) w/, Labidochromis caeruleus (4), Cynotilapia afra, Elongatus Mara Gold, and Pseudotropheus Crabo (Bumble Bee)

ok well how about melanochromis johannii (6-8) or Pseudotropheus demasoni (12-13) w/, Labidochromis caeruleus (4), Cynotilapia afra, Elongatus Mara Gold, and Pseudotropheus Crabo (Bumble Bee)

Personally I think you should leave the Demasoni and the bee out. Otherwise it looks good to me

so those all would do well with the melanochromis johannii and what quantities should i do and a total of fish

also i have a mbuna which i believe is from lake victoria :/ so idk exactly what it is ill try to get a pic of him the guy at the fish store told me he was from malawi but i thought i saw a pic of a similar fish and it said from victoria

Back
Top Bottom