Stocking advice for a 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfishlover

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a 29 gallon biocube that's almost done cycling. I was going to get dwarf puffers but now idk about it. Any suggestions. I want something colorful and active. Up for anything!

Scarlet Badis! Beautiful! Kuhli loaches, harlquien rasbora, sparkling gourami lots of choices! You could do a sweet planted setup!

Ok let's say I do a center piece fish like a dwarf gourami or similar. Could I do a large school of small fish like neon tetras? Or 2 smaller schools of similar fish? What are the fish that look like they glow but aren't glow fish?

Yea you could do that. Glowlight tetras? I am not sure on that one.

Glowlight tetras are pretty cool. I have 9 of them in my 20g with a dwarf gourami as the centerpiece. Also 3 cory's and 2 snails. The only thing is, they are all so relaxed that there's not a lot of actual schooling. I do think you would get more of that if you went with say 2 schools of 7 fish each (ie. Glowlights and neons.) along with your centerpiece? Just a thought.

I'm thinking a dwarf gourami, and the 2 schools of 7. I think I will go to my lfs and see what they have and check compatibility. I've been looking online what you have suggested and I want to see them in person. So which should I get first. The gourami or a school?

Ok. Could I do a school of cherry barbs, neon tetras or zebra danios(whichever I like better), then the dwarf gourami? Or will the cherry barbs not be a good idea?

Cherry barbs are awesome community fish.
Zebra danios are pretty hyper and would benefit from more horizontal space than this tank allows. I would stick with the neons.
Add the dg last. :)

I've heard the same thing about my DG. I added mine last and have not had any problems. They are cool, too. He's the first one to the top of the tank when I open it up. Even nibbles on my arm when I'm adjusting plants or vacuming gravel.

Ok. I will probably go with the cherry barbs, neon tetras, and dwarf gourami. How many of each of the cherries and neons can I have and I just finished cycling so how many should I add at first?

Ok. I will probably go with the cherry barbs, neon tetras, and dwarf gourami. How many of each of the cherries and neons can I have and I just finished cycling so how many should I add at first?

I hear not to add more than 3 or so at a time. I'm not sure after a completed fishless cycle though. Maybe 3-5 at a time with regular water tests to make sure your established BB is keeping up?

Someone more familiar with the fishless cycle can probably give you better advice. It has a lot to do with bio-load and not starving the bacteria you've built up, I think. I know if you stock too fast you may be doing a lot of water changes initially. Do you have live plants?

Fully cycled I would think you're safe to add a 7 fish school at a time, but hopefully someone with more knowledge can pipe in. I just can't say how many fish would be equal to the capability of the BB you've built.

Either way, shoot us some pics when you can. Like to see what you've got going!

Since you did the fishless cycle, you can add more fish at once.
I suggest starting with 6 of the barbs and 8 neons. See how they all do in tank, and then you can consider adding more if you think its would be ok. Add the dg last. :)

This is my tank as it sits now. The plants are live plants but the only one I can remember the guy saying where I bought them was foxtail. So of you know the names please let me know. I have noticed snails but I think they were brought in on the plants. That can be dealt with later. I think I will add one school at a time starting with the cherries. Hopefully I will get them Saturday!

Attachments

• image-1680255360.jpg
    image-1680255360.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 64
Awesome. Let us know how it goes. Your tank looks nice. Those plants should get taller. Your dg will like to sleep in one of caves. :)

Good glad to hear that my plans for a puffer will work nice for my new choices! I have some tetra fertilizer stuff. It would they grow faster if I dose seachem's plant products?(flourish and flourish excel)

This is my tank as it sits now. The plants are live plants but the only one I can remember the guy saying where I bought them was foxtail. So of you know the names please let me know. I have noticed snails but I think they were brought in on the plants. That can be dealt with later. I think I will add one school at a time starting with the cherries. Hopefully I will get them Saturday!

That looks very cool.

I'm not sure about the puffer though. I've heard most say that they were a 'species only' fish. I'm sorry, I thought you had ruled them out. I've just read some nasty stuff about them and the teeth they have. I guess their teeth are designed to get food through shells. I'd check more on them bfore you put them with the others. I wanted puffers real bad, but backed off when I figured out I couldn't have much else with them.

Back
Top Bottom