Stocking advice for a 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That thread seemed to be saying that a person selectively bred a strain of dp to be ok in communities. And another guy said his was with shrimp, and another guy said he had seem mixed results. Its up to you if you want to try it of course, but I still don't recommend it, and definitely not without a back-up plan.

Sorry for the confusion. I don't want puffers anymore. Im going to go with a more community feel I planned my tank around them initially but I changed my mind after I learned they are sometimes difficult to keep. No puffers now. Maybe after college though!

I don't plan on putting a puffer in anymore. I wouldn't chance it. Like I said sorry for the confusion. I'm going with just the cherry barbs, neon tetras, and dwarf gourami.

I don't plan on putting a puffer in anymore. I wouldn't chance it. Like I said sorry for the confusion. I'm going with just the cherry barbs, neon tetras, and dwarf gourami.

Good plan. 29g so you'll have some room for some kind of scavengers or bottom feeders down the road too. I've read that a couple of people on here like to stay under-stocked so they have room for their potential impulse buys if they come across something they can't resist that will get along with what they have.

Now the fun part, huh? Stock that baby up!

I'm doing a very similar stock for my 20 gallon. 1 dg 6-8 cherry barbs and a small school of either neon tetras or black neon tetras. And 3/4 false bandit corys. Just gonna finish cycling! I've been told you can add all fish at once as long as you have been keeping the ammonia at a high rate when doing fish less cycling!

I have been dosing my ammonia up to 3-4 everyday. Have many will you add of the neons?

Since you did a fishless you could add the neons and barbs at the same time if you are going to stock 1 school at a time no reason to not do the full school. I would go ahead and add all 8 neons

What are you thinking male/female on the cherry barbs? Personally I would do 6 (2m/4f) that ratio seems to work well. The barbs wont really school, just hang out in the same area of the tank. The neons will school nicely with the dg. And you definitely have room for a bn or a group of pitbull plecos (3-5)

I was thinking starting with the barbs. I have one in my other tank. I can't remember is the bright red is male or female but that's what I have. I feel bad cause I never filled out its school. But I will probably do that ratio. And is there any chance shrimp can me added with these fish? I noticed them recently and liked them

I did my fish less and I'm very excited to get my fishes! The barbs really won't school well? :( I was looking into them cuz they are supposed to. Maybe I will do a larger school of the neons and then a smaller barbs just cuz I want more if a schooling fish. Question? Do I have to get the neons or barbs all at once? I'm worried about the lfs not having the amount I need. If they don't should I wait till they do to buy them?

Should I be concerned about the sex of the neons? And if so what should be the ratio of males to females?

Also I like the pit bull plecos but it depends on availability in my area. Do they need drift wood cause I really wasn't planning on adding any?

No, pitties do not need dw in their diet. They like to hide under it, but they don't need it if you have other places for them to hide if they want to. :)

Thanks for the answers. And I posted a picture of my tank earlier in the thread so of you wouldn't mind taking a look and telling me if it's fine for the pit bull plecos? Please?!

Yeah, that should be fine IMO. :) You have the nice pot caves in case they want to hide. I suggest getting a smaller pot so the fish have a size choice. I put 2 sizes in my tank and some fish liked the bigger ones, some liked the smaller ones. :) They are pretty cheap at Home Depot. If you want to just stock with the ones you have, thats fine too. But then I suggest burying one down in the gravel a little bit so the opening is smaller.

Back
Top Bottom