Stocking advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking of starting again with my 10 (uk) gallon tank, and would like some advice on what would thrive in a tank this small.

I want to get some dwarf corydoras, and have either harlequin rasboras, celestial pearl danios, or a betta to go with them, or a mixture if that is at all possible.

How many would I be able to have in my tank. The first time I stocked it before I really knew about fish and I did lots wrong, so I want to take advantage of everyone's knowledge this time ;) thanks in advance.

I like betta alot, so i would try them with some Harlequin Rasboras or Celestial Pearl Danio, i could not find much information about the Celestial Pearl Danio but its a very nice fish and i would take them over the Harlequin Rasboras if they are compatible with betta's. And keep at least 5 or 6 would make your aquarium look very nice.

I would try to find more information about it, but if you know if it's compatible with betta you can always try!

Ha, that sounds like what my 10(us)g is going to be like. I'd try 7-8 of the CPDs and the betta, as well as 5ish dwarf cories. I've heard mixed reviews on the CPDs and betta. I am going to do either chili rasboras, gold ringed danios, dwarf rasboras or ember tetras. They're apparently more boisterous than the CPDs and will be more willing to "fight" to get food.

Ok, so I'm thinking I'm probably gonna go for dwarf corydoras, celestial pearl danios/galaxy rasboras, and a betta. Obviously I'll only be having one betta, but how many of the rasboras and corys could I have in my 10 gal? I'm getting really excited about this mix :D what temperature should I have the tank at for all these? I think I've heard that bettas need slightly warmer temperatures than most other tropicals. Is that right? Ooo, I can't wait! :D

I would do 5 dwarf corys, 6 galaxies and one Betta. You could easily set your temp at 75-80f and be fine. It all depends on the betta's temperment. An as for food you could easily do flake/ pellet as well as frozen bloodworms. My Betta loves em

I would think either but if you have both they may not (school) hangout like some do. Just monitor your betta's temperament and see how things go. The galaxies should be fine. Just make sure to have plants to break Los(line of sight). Are you getting a male or female Betta?

You could have either I'm sure. But if all are of the same species they will school naturally. Just make sure to have plants to break lie if sight with the galaxies and Betta if the Betta has anger problems. are you getting a male or female Betta?

Chronos313 said:
I would think either but if you have both they may not (school) hangout like some do. Just monitor your betta's temperament and see how things go. The galaxies should be fine. Just make sure to have plants to break Los(line of sight). Are you getting a male or female Betta?

I'm going to stick with the same corydoras species. after looking at pictures all day, I think I prefer c.habrosus, but if one was more suited to the tank than the other I would have gone for that. I'm trying to do it right this time :)
I want to get a make betta. I'd like a blue and green one. Gonna have to but all these fish online though as I can't find any of them here. Well, I can find bettas, but they are either blue or red and are usually laying on the bottom of a cup :(
I've got plenty of plants in the tank so hopefully that should help prevent any squabbles :)

Oh yeah, the other thing I wanted to ask is about the substrate. Sand is much better for the corys isn't it?
I've got a fine, very smooth gravel substrate and I'm very nervous and wary about going completely sands.

So what I was wondering is could I maybe put a"river" of sand running through the tank on top of the gravel? So they've still got some sand, but the tank is mostly gravel? Would it be really awkward to have both? Have any of you done both before and did it work?

I would go complete sand. Much easier to clean since no particle if food fall in between and it gives it a more natural look. I'm switching to sand myself. Is it expensive to buy online with shipping where yer at? I got lucky with working at an lfs so I can special order anything I want.

C. pygmaeus and C. hastatus both swim more mid tank than other Corydoras.
C. habrosus stays on the bottom like most Cories.

A Betta may be too large for the Cories or other tiny fish to feel safe. I had a Betta that killed every Cory in my tank. They were Panda Cories.
Bettas are very unique, no exact rules for who they can live with.

Nano fish would be fine with the Pygmy Cories. I have CPDs with C. habrosus and Threadfin Rainbows.

Chronos313 said:
I would go complete sand. Much easier to clean since no particle if food fall in between and it gives it a more natural look. I'm switching to sand myself. Is it expensive to buy online with shipping where yer at? I got lucky with working at an lfs so I can special order anything I want.

how do you clean the sand though? because if you gravel vac, you're just gonna suck all the sand up :/

plus, how do plants cope with sand? They won't be anchored in very well will they. At the moment I don't gravel vac at the base of the plants and that provides nutrients for them. Could I do the same with the sand, and just clean the open areas?

I'm really not very confident about going all sand, I think mostly because I don't really know enough about it. The unknown worries me ;)
If I did go sand, I'd love to do black sand to really show everything off. Would the fish be ok with that? Are there any disadvantages to black that I don't know of ;)

I'm jealous that you work in a fish shop! Wish I could! None of them here ever seem to have any jobs going. I could probably ask then to order them in for me, but I'm not sure I trust any of the lfs round here :/ from what I've seen so far, shipping costs are about £15-£20, plus the cost of the fish too.

Coursair said:
C. pygmaeus and C. hastatus both swim more mid tank than other Corydoras.
C. habrosus stays on the bottom like most Cories.

A Betta may be too large for the Cories or other tiny fish to feel safe. I had a Betta that killed every Cory in my tank. They were Panda Cories.
Bettas are very unique, no exact rules for who they can live with.

Nano fish would be fine with the Pygmy Cories. I have CPDs with C. habrosus and Threadfin Rainbows.

I was a bit worried about that, but I thought I'd get the corys and cpd's first so that it's "their"tank, then introduce the beta later.I'm going to have a 5 gal on standby for the beta in case that doesn't work I think :/

Fishies86 said:
how do you clean the sand though? because if you gravel vac, you're just gonna suck all the sand up :/

plus, how do plants cope with sand? They won't be anchored in very well will they. At the moment I don't gravel vac at the base of the plants and that provides nutrients for them. Could I do the same with the sand, and just clean the open areas?

I'm really not very confident about going all sand, I think mostly because I don't really know enough about it. The unknown worries me ;)
If I did go sand, I'd love to do black sand to really show everything off. Would the fish be ok with that? Are there any disadvantages to black that I don't know of ;).

Most of my tanks are black sand. Plants love it. I used black Flourite sand in my first tank. My newer one I put root tabs in and covered with blasting sand. I use root tabs for all my heavy root feeders, Swords, Crypts, etc....

I almost NEVER vacuum my sand ! The food sits on top, so fish can eat it easier. The plants use up the fish poop. I do weekly PWCs.

I have Shrimp that scour the sand for food. I have Malaysian Trumpet Snails that keep all uneaten food from going to waste and the dig in the sand ( in a good way ).

Check my profile for pics of my tanks.

Fishies86 said:
I was a bit worried about that, but I thought I'd get the corys and cpd's first so that it's "their"tank, then introduce the beta later.I'm going to have a 5 gal on standby for the beta in case that doesn't work I think :/

Sounds good. Lots of plants for CPDs to hide also. I use Dwarf Water Lettuce as floaters to help them feel secure also.

Black would be sick especially for the cpd's. If you had to vacuum the sand hold the vac about 1-1.5 inches above the sand and just vacuum the open areas. as for anchoring the plants the roots will do that for themselves. Also I think you would be fine If you did 1-1.5 inches of sand.

Chronos313 said:
Black would be sick especially for the cpd's. If you had to vacuum the sand hold the vac about 1-1.5 inches above the sand and just vacuum the open areas. as for anchoring the plants the roots will do that for themselves. Also I think you would be fine If you did 1-1.5 inches of sand.

Oh good, that was gonna be my next question, how deep :) so if I was to go sand, I just rinse it, pour it in to 1.5" full up with water and it's good to go? I am actually thinking of going for black sand now :) what are some good ones to go for for plants?

Ok, I've been looking on ebay and amazon for black sand. They all seem to be over £20. Would be nice if I can get it cheaper ;) I found one for 10.99 which is an 8kg bag. I think I need about 10kg. The only thing with that one is that it is silica sand. I believe some people have had algae issues with silica sand? So I don't know if that is worth trying or not :/

correct me if I'm wrong, but a 16" x 15" tank covered with 2" substrate would need 10.9 kg. so if I get a 10kg bag, that'd let me go to a depth of 1.5" and have some spare wouldn't it?

Back
Top Bottom