Stocking ideas around an Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raym94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My school is applying for a grant to get a 125g cichlid tank. I am looking for some possible stocking schemes built around an Oscar or two. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

If he wants an Oscar, let him get an oscar

Imo a bunch of africans are more appealing then two oscars. So much more activity and a lot more entertaining to watch over only two fish. And agin thats my opinion lol.

I have Africans but used to have oscars ..... Nope I can't decide still !!!!

He's not asking whether he should get an Oscar or not. Let him do what he wants

Loading... said:
I agree but it's for a school so since I'm a 7th grader myself I see kids my age and younger appreciating a big planted community tank with shrimp and schools

The op wasn't asking if they should do an Oscar they asked what could go with an Oscar.

Not much can mix well with oscars. But if your going to try don't ever feed live. A good staple diet of hikari massivore delight and occassional frozen treat of beefheart, bloodworms when young. If it were me I would try other large south american species of or smaller fast moving. With the understanding that anything is hit or miss. That said look into green terror, jack dempsey, texas cichlids. If you want try a good mix. Heaviley decorate one half of the tank with broken and hole clay pots and try some africans. They should be fast enough to get away and the pots will create more territory.

Well my favourite fish are Green Terrors and a Jack Dempsey. So I would have one of those each to go with your Oscar and possibly a Texas, Severum, Convict or Salvini.

A school of 4-6 Silver Dollars or 4 Clown Loaches would also work if you want a bit of movement.

I would be carefull with salvini and convicts. Convicts are pretty nippy and may go after a slower fish like the oscar. Salvinis get very territorial as they grow and may fight with the oscars as they rome around the tank.

I rehomed a 2 inch male convict recently as he was picking on my 2 9 inch oscars. They can be mean little buggers. I would try a female convict instead of a male. Oscars can be pretty laid back. They can get mean if they want to though lol

Back
Top Bottom