Stocking Pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,
I asked my Dad if my bro and I could build an indoor pond after this summer if we pay for it and once we move. Depending on the house it might be a possibility if there is space (My Dad said yes if the house permits). If we do end up getting a pond the dimensions would be 8' long 24" high and 4' wide. Does anyone know roughly how many gallons this would be? But I was wondering what you guys think I should put in it? I was thinking
2 Silver Arowana
1 Red Tail Catfish
1 TSN RTC hybrid (me and my bro each have two fish)
Would this be over stocked?

I have heard that red tail carfish are almost too big for an aquarium. Do you know how many gallons? Seems around 800. And I would suffuse 2 arroeana
1 shovel nose cat
1 black ghost knife
1 needle nose far
1 Oscar
6 clown loaches

It is easy to find a gallon calculator online. I will let you look that up. ;)
That is on the small side for a red tail cat, and you are looking at 2 potentially huge fish in there. I don't picture that working out.
If this is a direction you want to go in, please be sure to look into feeding a rtc. Bigger fish generally means bigger food bills.

It's 480 gallons. I guess if it was taller it would be a lot more but it's definitely better for Arowanas than my 220 is :)a lot more room to turn and a little more length.

I would add a datnoid or maybe a stingray intead of the cats. A fire eel would be cool too.

You lucky dog!
An indoor pond! NICE ;-)

Yeah! My parents like fish and I have one of the coolest Dads ever, plus he likes building things ;) Unfortunately my Mom doesn't like the monster fish that I do : o

What I plan to do is build a really sturdy wooden box and just line it with a tarp made to line ponds. Very cheap ;) and then for substrate I'm going to use play sand.

O. Haha. I would want something a bit more decorative, like you see in chinese restaurants.

Oh no! This will be going in my basement and its pretty much just for the monster fish and cheaper is better. I have a 220 with a nice stand and that's a decent sized tank that will probably be in my living room sort as my show tank.

An indoor pond and a 220G tank?

Do your weekends consist of anything other than changing water? :O

Well V, hope you get the go ahead with your pond build.

Just a thought here but if your making this a build thread eventually, it may do better in the Ponds & Watergardens section. I'm definitely following along either way. I've been thinking of doing an indoor pond myself for some of my hibuna goldfish. I've got a couple outdoor ponds currently so I may even be able to help you out a bit.

IMG_20120618_151102.jpg

IMG_20120612_152416-1.jpg

Well V, hope you get the go ahead with your pond build.

Just a thought here but if your making this a build thread eventually, it may do better in the Ponds & Watergardens section. I'm definitely following along either way. I've been thinking of doing an indoor pond myself for some of my hibuna goldfish. I've got a couple outdoor ponds currently so I may even be able to help you out a bit.

Ok sweet. How do you filter yours? I'm thinking a sump but I don't know how we'll it would work because the pond is on the ground. Maybe have a raised sump so the water gets pumped up then flows back into the tank?

Back
Top Bottom