Striped peacock eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah all my fish are weird so he would fit right in lol! There's movement in the tank all day long. I have two kissing gouramis that chase each other all day. I do aquarium maintenance like I should. As a matter of fact I just cleaned the tank a week and a half ago.... And shame on you taking Nunu's favorite rock! He said he will show you by hiding lol :)

Carolinagirl said:
Yeah all my fish are weird so he would fit right in lol! There's movement in the tank all day long. I have two kissing gouramis that chase each other all day. I do aquarium maintenance like I should. As a matter of fact I just cleaned the tank a week and a half ago.... And shame on you taking Nunu's favorite rock! He said he will show you by hiding lol :)

Haha i know, i feel bad but hey, the rock wouldnt fit with the new driftwood! There are plenty of spaces..nunu is just stubborn;)

When you feed flakes again watch closely..and maybe toss some into the filter output so they are thrown down to the bottom. Then watch gonzo like a hawk!

Seems from everything I've read on here he'd probably be fine, but just wanted to make sure in a 75 gallon that if I got one of the peacock eels they would not eat my smaller botia loaches or corys? Really want one but dont want my loaches to slowly dissapear...

Peacock eels have very tiny mouths and can not eat much, let alone an entire fish! Don't worry so much!

I'm starting to really not like Gonzo lol! I still really don't know if he's eating the worms, but he seems to be doing just fine! Only other food I stick in there are flakes so he's eating something! I'm jealous cause I can't hand feed him...grrr! Gotta love him though, the only hiding he does is behind some plants but he's always sticking his nose out, nosey little thing!

I can't guarantee that there are since my other fish love them as well!! When I put the worms in, he swims to the other side of the tank and hangs out like he's mad at me for trying to feed him lol! Silly fish!

Carolinagirl said:
I'm starting to really not like Gonzo lol! I still really don't know if he's eating the worms, but he seems to be doing just fine! Only other food I stick in there are flakes so he's eating something! I'm jealous cause I can't hand feed him...grrr! Gotta love him though, the only hiding he does is behind some plants but he's always sticking his nose out, nosey little thing!

Aw sorry!!! I cant believe he wont eat the worms!!

He doesn't seem to be starving by any means! I quit worrying about him and his eating cause he wouldn't be alive at this point if he weren't eating!! What else do they like to eat and maybe I can try something different when I run out of worms? Any suggestions?

So I really wanna go buy one of these guys today last question for y'all now you've convinced me my loaches are safe was I have a 75 gallon thats nearly two feet tall, but no lid, I know in general eels are usually jumpers, but these guys seem to bury most the time think he will be alright with no lid? Or are these guys really that suicidal when it comes to jumping?

He will definitly jump. Make sure you have a lid on the tank he is going in, there cant be ANY openings because he will end up on the ground... Even if its a 1" by 1" opening, he could get through

Darn no one sells lids around here think plastic wrap would work? You think the eels would know by now jumping out of water is a bad idea geez

DoratheExplorer said:
Darn no one sells lids around here think plastic wrap would work? You think the eels would know by now jumping out of water is a bad idea geez

Lol they love suicide!

That would work! Or go to home depot and make a cheap glass lid. Then fill all other holes with plastic

I have a little opening in my lid by the filter and Gonzo worries me everything he swims up there, but luckily he hasn't tried to jump out lol!! As for the them burrying themselves, Gonzo has never burried himself in the gravel. Every now and then he gets spooked and hides behind the plants at the back of the tank, but for the most part he is always swimming around nosing around!

Carolinagirl said:
I have a little opening in my lid by the filter and Gonzo worries me everything he swims up there, but luckily he hasn't tried to jump out lol!! As for the them burrying themselves, Gonzo has never burried himself in the gravel. Every now and then he gets spooked and hides behind the plants at the back of the tank, but for the most part he is always swimming around nosing around!

Lol good!!

I'd cover that hole!! Just use some tape or plastic bags..he will jump eventually:(

So I went and got my new buddy, Nero, cause he looks very flashy and extravagant, anyway bought a lid that nicely fully covers 3/4 the tank then I taped up a plastic strip for the one side behind the light and did one sheet of plastic wrap over the open section. Hope he'll be alright after he acclimated he went right in a decoration and disappeared. Will post some photos when I get home thanks for all the help all!

DoratheExplorer said:
So I went and got my new buddy, Nero, cause he looks very flashy and extravagant, anyway bought a lid that nicely fully covers 3/4 the tank then I taped up a plastic strip for the one side behind the light and did one sheet of plastic wrap over the open section. Hope he'll be alright after he acclimated he went right in a decoration and disappeared. Will post some photos when I get home thanks for all the help all!

Very cool!!!! Make sure there are no spaces, and youll be good. Feed bloodworms btw

The place I picked him up from told me he was captive raised and has eaten sinking shrimp pellets his whole life so I bought a jar to start him on, would you all suggest moving to bloodworms right away? I have dehydrated, but is it better just to throw some live ones in for the eels? Either way can't wait to get out of class for the day and go anxiously sit in front of my tank looking for him

SO glad I bought this guy! Thanks all, from what everyone had posted I thought this guy would probably be like my Raphael catfish and absolutely disappear into the tank for a week or so, but I came home to find him happily swimming about the center of the tank and the loaches are going crazy schooling all over him. Thanks for all the advice very happy with this pick up have wanted an eel to complete the tank for a long time but before was told these guys would eat all my schoolers so thanks again.

Attachments

• peacock eel 007.jpg
    peacock eel 007.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 70
  • peacock eel 009.jpg
    peacock eel 009.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 68
  • peacock eel 011.jpg
    peacock eel 011.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom