Suggestions for 100G Tropical Freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No the hoses don't need to be straight just no kinks or loops. My baskets go, sponges that come with canister in bottom, 100% ployfill next, Purgen, carbon, or polyfill depending on what I want next, then the bio-media on top.

No the hoses don't need to be straight just no kinks or loops. My baskets go, sponges that come with canister in bottom, 100% ployfill next, Purgen, carbon, or polyfill depending on what I want next, then the bio-media on top

My Fluval keeps making skipping noises.

Sounds like you have air in it. Try gently shaking it back and forth but let the air bubble come out in between shakings. Also try using the primer, pull it up and down 4 or so times. Eventually the air does come out. If it does this after a cleaning you have to check your intake strainer in the tank because when that ball valve gets too much gunk caught in it the canister won't fill properly and you'll get air. One last tip is when you want to clean the filter pull the white water flow handle up to shut the flow off THEN unplug the filter. This way you empty the hoses out so when you disconnect the canister you don't get a little water mess.

Sounds like you have air in it. Try gently shaking it back and forth but let the air bubble come out in between shakings. Also try using the primer, pull it up and down 4 or so times. Eventually the air does come out. If it does this after a cleaning you have to check your intake strainer in the tank because when that ball valve gets too much gunk caught in it the canister won't fill properly and you'll get air. One last tip is when you want to clean the filter pull the white water flow handle up to shut the flow off THEN unplug the filter. This way you empty the hoses out so when you disconnect the canister you don't get a little water mess.

I figured out what was wrong. My propeller was loose! I didn't have it all the way into to red panel that covers it and it was spinning weird like. I got it straightened out and the cannister has been running fine since! I got really upset because I thought I was about to have to take it back! I love this thing! The valve control makes me able to control the current in my tank! Which is good because it's tall! I can only hear the cannister when I'm right on top of it too! Great investment! Time to start the cycle! :)

I think in going to stock 10 skunk cory cats when I'm ready to start my tank.

Thanks! I tested my water and so far I have

Ammonia: 0
PH: 8.4-8.8

This can't be good!

If you can you should get an API Gh and Kh test kit. They make one that has both tests and solutions in the box. I measure Kh and Gh. In a planted tank a reading of 4 on both are good. It also tells you how hard your water is and if levels of calcium (kh) and magnesium (gh) are in a good range. Too me they are more important to know. Ph often reflects the Kh/Gh reading... the higher the reading on them usually the higher the Ph and the harder the water is.

I don't know to much about those two. Csn you enlighten me about it some? I tested PH this morning and it seems to be coming down.

Maybe live plants will help bring it down. By the way, how long does it take for the BB to start reproducing? I've noticed a small drop in ammonia and I have a very small bit of nitrites. Could have been from the old water that had been sitting in the tank for about a week or so. Also, when I do PWC, how will I get the PH to match the aquariums?

Don't use any Ph up/down or other chemicals. Just leave your ph alone. I just think when running a planted tank it's good to know what your Kh and Gh are. Also if Kh fall below 4 that means your water's buffering capacity is getting low which means your tank is more adapt to have a decline in ph. As for the cycling do you have any plants in there now? I doubt old tank water sitting did anything for the cycling. It's moving along so that is what is important.

Don't use any Ph up/down or other chemicals. Just leave your ph alone. I just think when running a planted tank it's good to know what your Kh and Gh are. Also if Kh fall below 4 that means your water's buffering capacity is getting low which means your tank is more adapt to have a decline in ph. As for the cycling do you have any plants in there now? I doubt old tank water sitting did anything for the cycling. It's moving along so that is what is important.

No plants now. I was going to order a plant package sometime this week coming up because my new light fixture comes in. My liquid CO2 came in yesterday. Also, I purchased a small drip acclimation tube so I can help them acclimate to my tank better.

If you can you should get an API Gh and Kh test kit. They make one that has both tests and solutions in the box. I measure Kh and Gh. In a planted tank a reading of 4 on both are good. It also tells you how hard your water is and if levels of calcium (kh) and magnesium (gh) are in a good range. Too me they are more important to know. Ph often reflects the Kh/Gh reading... the higher the reading on them usually the higher the Ph and the harder the water is.

Is this what you're talking about?

http://bit.ly/16SJd2e

Hey Rivercats, would you mind dropping in on my other thread call "Started Cycle" just to kind of help me through my cycle? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom