Suggestions for 100G Tropical Freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would switch the GBRs to Bolivian rams much hardier and better personality. I'd also add some rainbows for color (I'm partial to boesmani )

I suggest mts and nerite snails For shrimp I would wait a bit once tank is running well start with rcs or ghost most economical

Sorry iPhone app

I'd also look into a synodontis type cat or hybrid they are great also

I agree with floating plants and also maybe a pearl gourami

You could add a small amount of floating plants but depending on what other plants you choose you may not want to block too much light. Oakleaf sometimes called Broadleaf Wisteria makes a good floating plant, elegant, and easy to control.

You could use red or green tiger lotus as IMO they have better leaf color but if you start letting surface leaves develop those leaves will quickly over take the surface.

For a first tank this is getting way complicated. I have been keeping tanks for 28 years and my head is a bouncing after reading this thread. My 2 cents is live plants are for experienced Aquarius and aren't necessary. 1 wrong move and your whole system will crash. Don't get me wrong I love looking at live plants but I wont even attempt it. They make fake plants that look just as good now.

The best advice I can give is keep it simple and start slow.

Start with a some
Mid Level Show piece
4-6 Anges or
4-6 Bosemoni Rainbows

week or two later - bottom dwellers a

3x loaches like the yoyo or zebra
1 or 2 plecos bristle nose rubber lips doesn't matter.

Week later - Mid level schools fish
Add 1or 2 school of tetras 10-15 (doesnt matter which kind what ever you like).

Get a couple mollie, platties, or sword tails.

let that sit a month or two and build from there. Come back after you have those working and see what you want to add after that. This will give you a basis to work with and keep people from jumping all over the place with suggestions.

Again Just take it slow.

I don't agree that plants are only for experienced hobbyists nor will the system crash with one wrong move. There are tons of very simple set up's with only low lights and low light tolerant plants that are so easy. But today with all the information available is it not hard for a newbie to start with a more advanced system of plants. The OP is doing his homework quite well and getting his equipment after talking through what he really needs for what he wants and is doing the same before hand with fish. Many people just go out and buy plants and fish without any research only to find out later they won't work for what set up they have. I've been in the hobby since the 70's and can honestly say with today's technology and information highway, including forums like this, having a nice planted tank as a newbie is not out of the question.

I must agree with rivercats!!! The OP wants a planted tank and that's what he should have if he is willing to do the extra work why not. He is doing all the proper research and personally I don't find it any more difficult then non planted tanks. I've been in the hobby for over 30yrs

I understand where you're coming from, and thank you for the concern! Honestly, IMO the best teachers to me are repetition and experience. It's not if I make a mistake, it's more of a matter when. I'm sure I'm going to go wrong somewhere when I start this cycle, but the awesome thing is I can always correct it! Or maybe start over. I owe most of everything I have learned to everyone here on he forums. They have done an awesome job in pointing me in the right direction. I have been learning a lot and I'm sure that I'm going to learn a lot more! I've been doing the best I can to plan this tank in every aspect but I'm sure I'm going to pull away from it a little bit. But rest assured that I'm going to make sure the tank is safe before I add any fish! That's why I plan to cycle with plants that way when the cycle is finished, there will be an already started habitat for the fish. Thanks to all of you, I was able to help someone at Petsmart tonight because I had already researched some things he had questions about! I come to learn that I even enjoy sharing information and trying to help other aquarists! I'm excited. I got my fluval filter tonight and I may start cycling tomorrow! I'm going to spend tonight going through my filter, making sure all the parts are there, reading the instructions, and then sorting out my supplies. I also have a lot of supplies on the way! I'm ready for this! I'll keep a log of my cycle as well!

I don't agree that plants are only for experienced hobbyists nor will the system crash with one wrong move. There are tons of very simple set up's with only low lights and low light tolerant plants that are so easy. But today with all the information available is it not hard for a newbie to start with a more advanced system of plants. The OP is doing his homework quite well and getting his equipment after talking through what he really needs for what he wants and is doing the same before hand with fish. Many people just go out and buy plants and fish without any research only to find out later they won't work for what set up they have. I've been in the hobby since the 70's and can honestly say with today's technology and information highway, including forums like this, having a nice planted tank as a newbie is not out of the question.

What kind of filter do you have?

I used to run a Fluval FX5 and a Fluval 406 on the 220 but now I run 3 Fluval 406's. The FX5 was just too big of a beast for me to mess with anymore.

I used to run a Fluval FX5 and a Fluval 406 on the 220 but now I run 3 Fluval 406's. The FX5 was just too big of a beast for me to mess with anymore.

I just bought the 406 yesterday! Courtney of quick questions. Is it okay for the tubes to not be perfectly straight? Secondly, will my new flourescent light fixture melt the hoses? Finally, how go you arrange your stages of filtration? Here's mine.

1. Black sponge filtration
2. Sponge filtration (From Powerhead)
3. Water clearer
4. Biomax

I don't want to use the carbon it came with unless I have to does medicine for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom