Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like 2 of my tetras are full of eggs. Very plump. And they've been chased by the others, I'm guessing the males. There is one male in particular, he has a big, tall fin on the top and a long, colorful one on the bottom that's been chasing them a lot

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I'm going to take off the hob.. it's making a stream of micro bubbles where it hits the water. I replaced some of the c-nodes In the hob with ceramic rings from the canister. I put the rest of the c nodes into the canister, touching the ceramic rings. Hopefully it'll spread to the ceramic rings in the canister so I can take the hob off and out it on the qt / hospital tank when I get it set up

Got some albino Cory catfish, they're floating now. Got 6

One of my cories keeps jumping - going really fast toward the surface of the water. He doesn't fully leave the water, but I hear a splash. I tested for ammonia, it is 0-0.25ppm. I don't know for sure why this is happening, but I have a few theories... I think it's a mini-cycle. What caused it was either adding the new fish, OR, what I did a few days ago messing with the bio media. I took part of the established media from the hob and put it with the ceramic rings in the canister.. And, I filled the rest of the drip tray in the hob with ceramic rings.. Which do you think caused it? Or was it a combination of both? When I was changing the media I filled a bucket with water and did it in there. Yes, I dechlorinated the water with prime. For now, I threw in a capful of prime. I'll test it again in the morning. If it's >0.25ppm I'll do a WC. In the morning I have a late start for school so I'll have time to do it if I'm fast.

Thanks!
-1998golfer

Btw - nitrite is 0, ph is 6.8-7, and temp is 79.5-80.. is the temp too high?

Thanks for any help

One of my cories keeps jumping - going really fast toward the surface of the water. He doesn't fully leave the water, but I hear a splash. I tested for ammonia, it is 0-0.25ppm. I don't know for sure why this is happening, but I have a few theories... I think it's a mini-cycle. What caused it was either adding the new fish, OR, what I did a few days ago messing with the bio media. I took part of the established media from the hob and put it with the ceramic rings in the canister.. And, I filled the rest of the drip tray in the hob with ceramic rings.. Which do you think caused it? Or was it a combination of both? When I was changing the media I filled a bucket with water and did it in there. Yes, I dechlorinated the water with prime. For now, I threw in a capful of prime. I'll test it again in the morning. If it's >0.25ppm I'll do a WC. In the morning I have a late start for school so I'll have time to do it if I'm fast.

Thanks!
-1998golfer

Could be both as you say.

I had a think and only where fish are trying to get rid of something is all I can think of. Unless he is bored :) I think fish will jump to try and throw lures when fishing. It rings a bell on some issue but I can't think of it.

I have a cory that does the same thing. Never really understood why it does that. The most likely explanation like Dela said was boredom. A .25ppm ammonia level won't even register with the fish.

I have a cory that does the same thing. Never really understood why it does that. The most likely explanation like Dela said was boredom. A .25ppm ammonia level won't even register with the fish.
Yeah makes sense. It's still 0.25ppm, and if the bacteria was dead it would be higher than that by now. Maybe theres something wrong with my test kit or something, but if the ammo is .25ppm and stays there, that's kinda weird.

Cories are labyrinth fish. They surface and take a gulp of air every so often. They should not be in bags with pure oxygen and tied shut. They need air. Completely normal behavior for the species.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cories are labyrinth fish. They surface and take a gulp of air every so often. They should not be in bags with pure oxygen and tied shut. They need air. Completely normal behavior for the species.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you all for the help and reassurances!

Just did my weekly 50% wc and before it I tested for nitrate before and it was 10ppm

Anyone? And I'm thinking of getting some frozen fish food at petco or petsmart. Any particular brand or type anyone recommends? I was thinking brine shrimp or blood worms..

Back
Top Bottom