Super High Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This evening after 24 hours, the levels were:

Ammo: <.25ppm
Nitrites: <.25ppm
Nitrates: 40ppm

Did 60% PWC and we're at 0 on ammo and nitrites. Doing good, I think.

Great job! =D I know how it feels to have that satisfaction when the tank is fully cycled... just had that myself this past week.

Thanks!

This morning, readings were:

Ammo: <.25
Nitrites: <.25
NitrAtes: 40ppm

Assuming we're moving in the right direction. What should I expect now? For the ammonia and nitrites to just drop off completely?

The nitrites will just disappear one day. It's kinda cool actually. lol

After that I would wait an extra day or so and then you will do your pwc to get rid of the trates and you'll be set to go.

You got it Bud. When its at 0 ammo and 0 nitrites, and nothing but nitrates, you're cycled. Be patient now. You're doing well.

Hey though, be careful about how you're reading the card. For like a week, we were reading .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5-10 nitrates... before realizing that the ammonia was actually zero (no green in the tube at all) but it looked like .25 pressed against the card. Hold it up to the light, and see if it's pure yellow that way. Pressing it up against the card darkens it. IF you're reading less than .25 of each, it could be you're already cycled and you're a paranoid card-reader.

That's interesting. I do hold it to the card, I think. I'm gonna have to check that out when I get home.

yeah, it says to hold it to the card, but in all honesty, if you're getting less than .25 for like a week, then something's probably wrong. :p

Just want to applaud my wife...she's checking levels and doing PWCs while I'm in WV all week. She's taking pictures and texting and asking questions. Love her.

Did a 90% PWC this evening and got the ammonia down to 2.0 ppm. So far everyone seems good to go. Gonna need a python...buckets suck. ;)

tbh i think ur gonna have this issue again soon, reason ur ammo lvl is so high is cos u dont have enough good bacteria to break this ammonia down im thinkin, letting it run for a week without fish wont help u unless u have something to substitute for the fishes ammo so that your bacteria can grow to lower ur ammonia to make it safer for your fish.

Bud said:
Just want to applaud my wife...she's checking levels and doing PWCs while I'm in WV all week. She's taking pictures and texting and asking questions. Love her.

Awesome your wife is helping. Just an observation though...it seems like 90% of people on planet earth mess up doing the API test kits. They don't add both solutions, they don't shake long enough, etc... I'm sure your wife is fantastic, but just double check she's doing everything right before we throw a celebration party, lol. As long as the #'s are correct...you're either cycled or just hours away...congrats!

Lol. You're right. She called to verify she was doing it right and read and re-read instructions and then sent pics of the tubes. Still not sure it was right because she had ammo at .50 ppm and nitrites at under .25 ppm. She did a 50 % PWC. having her check levels again this morning.

So, I got home from WV and checked everything out. Here's what I've got:

Ammonia: <.25
Nitrites: 0
NitrAtes: 10ppm

I think the ammo can be explained because of a dying plant that I'll be removing this morning. Otherwise, I do believe that I am all cycled! Any opinions?

Don't be sorry! Thank you for the advice. It would have been spot on if I had done this the right way to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom