Superglue: Safe for aquatic life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacusmaximus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! Long time reader, first time poster.

Quick question: I thought I had seen somewhere (maybe on this very board) that typical Superglue (cyanoacrylate) is NOT safe for use in or on aquariums and aquarium parts/equipment/decor. Is this accurate? If so, could anyone suggest some other quick-curing adhesive that would be safe? What about fluorinated CA (medical adhesives)?

Unrelated: I'd also like to send a huge "THANKS" to all AA members and all the moderators! This forum has been thoroughly entertaining and educational ever since I stumbled across it several weeks ago.

Ok, I'll have to grab a small tube soon.

I might be going about this the wrong way, so any input will be appreciated. I want to break-up some of the return flow on a cheap Whisper 10 HOB filter. It is on a 10g tank currently dedicated to a small group of fancy guppies. It seems that the kiddies are much happier when the filter is off and only their airstone is running. I don't want to go without mechanical filtration for very long, so I thought I would just glue a "baffle" of sorts to the bottom lip of the return. (If only to break up the current some) I suspect I'll be ordering a small sponge filter sooner rather than later. Until then, anyone have any other anti-whirlpool ideas? Has anyone else had guppies that didn't like a current?

stick a lin peice of foam across the filter exit...so it slows down the water and diffuses it.

Or get some floating plants...

dunno other than that.

Back
Top Bottom