Tank cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
I heard about a way to do an almost instant cycle, and just wanted your opinions on it. Apparently you can squeeze out your sponge filter and prefilter into your new tank to make it cycle almost instantly. I just did this and was wondering if you guys feel this would actually work. I also added tetra safestart a.k.a bacteria in a bottle.

IMHO an "instant cycle" is very rare to nonexistent. You can really speed it up by seeding it well and adding bacteria in a bottle, but I have never heard of anyone who instantly cycled it. Plus, I believe the safestart needs 7-14 days to take effect.

In my case, I added a medium filter pad from a small tank and a artificial plant from another showroom/mass tank from one of my LFS. A couple days after I bought a bag of active ceramic media out a filter inside a LFS who's tanks are all individual. All the while using Seachem Stability occasionally. Still waiting on nitrates to show...

I was so happy to see the ammonia finally start to drop! Today I got about 10ml of Microbe Lift Special Blend from another helpful LFS and also added some crumbled flake food which I thought I didn't really need. This better work!

So in conclusion, some filter water and rinse residue from an active established filter isn't going to instantly cycle your tank. Or I'm sure someone would have recommended it to me by now LOL

After doing the seeding method of cleaning my prefilter and sponge filter from my established tank into my cycling 29 gallon, I noticed the water become extremely cloudy. The next day it started to clear up, and get cloudy towards the night. I did a test on the water and got:
PH: 7.6
High PH:7.8
Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:8-10 ppm

This afternoon (next day) I tested and got:
PH:7.6
High PH: 7.4-7.6 range
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:5.0ppm

Does this mean my cycle is done? I doubt it..

I tried doing a fishless cycle by the process I mentioned. Some people say it works wonders. However, to be safe, I also am using tetra safestart with fish. So I guess you can say I am doing a fish in cycle. (If the tank I have is not actually cycled).

Ahhh I'm doing fishless and adding ammonia which would be terrible to do with fish in :eek:

Nitrate I believe won't naturally reduce itself so you're doing PWCs as well?

It will depending on what filters you have. Plants will consume it, if you have an established DSB, anything with anaerobic bacteria will. You probably don't have that yet tho. Lol

i just put Prime (red bottle) and wait like 10 minutes and then i use a test strip and the water is perfect then i put my fish in.

toke_ said:
i just put Prime (red bottle) and wait like 10 minutes and then i use a test strip and the water is perfect then i put my fish in.

Please tell me that's not your advice on 'instantly cycling' a tank?

And back to the o p.

A more effective way to speed up the cycle is to put the used filter media IN the filter rather than squeeze it out. If possible

And back to the o p.

A more effective way to speed up the cycle is to put the used filter media IN the filter rather than squeeze it out. If possible
I was thinking of doing that. However I have two completely different filters. I did want to upgrade my filter as it is the Aqua-Tech 20-40 that comes as the kit, and buy an aquaclear so I can use the established filter cartridge from my other tank that is also an aqua clear, however I couldn't really afford it at this time, and the tanks are different sizes. So I figured cleaning them out in the new tank should help. I heard some people did that with some success. Currently I transferred my neons to the new tank (They needed the upgrade) and after the stressful transfer, they started to get their color back and seem to be ok so far. I'll probably test the water again to be safe. I also dosed the Tetra safestart which you add to the tank, then add fish right afterward. Some say it works wonders, but I will have to try and see for myself as its basically "bacteria in a bottle." Regardless, I will keep an eye on these guys and the water parameters.

The odds of an instant cycle are pretty low but it's something that can happen. The goal is to get enough BB into your new tank from an established one to support your bioload.

So say, you don't see a spike in ammo or nitrite with the neons you may have one after you add something else because perhaps the swishing provided enough bb to handle the bioload of the neons. Again I doubt this as people can add old filter media and still go through a cycle, I've never heard of swishing alone cycling a tank.

Essentially you are doing a fish in cycle, even these safe start products are essentially doing fish in cycles. Sadly most people don't realize that they still need to keep on top of their parameters and od the needed water changes.. The swishing will probably help out of course. You will need to continue to test over the next several days and do water changes as needed and when you begin to add more fish remember there is that adjustment period of your BB to build itself up to handle the new bioload as well.

Back
Top Bottom