Tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sillyfishies said:
Nope. In the middle of cycling. Getting close to being done I'll add more caves and stuff soon. If I add Cory's and the pleco after will the cichlids attack the corys and pleco?

Ime......they don't bother with the plecos but I've never had Cory's so can't be of much help there.

Sillyfishies said:
They wouldn't stand a chance anyway. I heard about a pleco killing a full grown discus ;)...

I've never had a pleco kill anything except algae ime.......haha!!!!

It cornered it and sucked the slime off it. Sucks to lose a 60 dollar fish. I would've taken that thing right to a LFS!

Sillyfishies said:
It cornered it and sucked the slime off it. Sucks to lose a 60 dollar fish. I would've taken that thing right to a LFS!

That had to be a pretty nice size pleco. I always trade my plecos in before they get over 6"

Sillyfishies said:
It was a common pleco (180 gallon tank). And why don't u just get a brittlenose pleco. They hit a max 5"

My lfs never has them and when it's time to trade it gives me an excuse to go there.

True. If I post a pic of my tank could u give me a drawing on how I should move the stuff so I can add at least 3 caves?

Sillyfishies said:
True. If I post a pic of my tank could u give me a drawing on how I should move the stuff so I can add at least 3 caves?

Sure......not a great artist though. Haha!

cbourg746 said:
Sure......not a great artist though. Haha!

Niether am I!!! I already have a thought of taking concrete slabs and snapping them in half and make this design at the back ITTTI.

Edit* woah!! This was a pic from when I first got the tank. The plant on the right is already grown out of the water! I have a single T8 bulb too!

Attachments

• image-3491104538.jpg
    image-3491104538.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 48
When you start stocking your tank if you don't put them all in at once you should put the least aggressive in first. That doesn't always stop the more aggressive fish from killing the peaceful ones but it does help. If you break down the stock and do them a little at a time the cichlids should be the very last addition.

Do u think I can get away with putting 6 in at once? Actually. Would it be okay if I put in the 2 DGs and the 2 apistogramma in then wait a week or two and put in the GBRs?

Sillyfishies said:
Do u think I can get away with putting 6 in at once? Actually. Would it be okay if I put in the 2 DGs and the 2 apistogramma in then wait a week or two and put in the GBRs?

If your tank is well cycled the yes you can get away with putting all 6 in at once. Just watch your water parameters close for a few days following the additions. I have put up to 8 new additions all at once with no problems.

Sorry for terrible drawing. The gray thing is a PVC pipe. To the left is the little coral ball to the right is the weird crystal. Then the plant (other one died). In the back is the slabs stacked and on top is a cinder block. To the left is the log to the right is the coral thing.

Attachments

• image-4147914728.jpg
    image-4147914728.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 41
Sillyfishies said:
Sorry for terrible drawing. The gray thing is a PVC pipe. To the left is the little coral ball to the right is the weird crystal. Then the plant (other one died). In the back is the slabs stacked and on top is a cinder block. To the left is the log to the right is the coral thing.

Ok......I'm with you. Looks like it should work out to be a good set up. I would ditch the PVC to go for the more natural look though.

I might paint it or something. I just heard pleco LOVE pvcs. And if he takes the PVC he isn't taking one of the caves.

Sillyfishies said:
I might paint it or something. I just heard pleco LOVE pvcs. And if he takes the PVC he isn't taking one of the caves.

Maybe glue some rocks or gravel to it.

cbourg746 said:
Maybe glue some rocks or gravel to it.

That's a great idea. What should I glue with? I heard people super glue plants to driftwood so they're anchored but i thought that couldn't be good for the fish

Back
Top Bottom