Tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw on another thread where some one used silicon calk like what is used for the fish tank seams to put rocks on a piece of pvc pipe butyou have to let in cure for a few days before you can put it in the tank. It made some really pretty caves.

Silicone! Duh!! I'm a DIY type of guy and know all about using silicon to glue aquariums! I think paint would be easier though and I could make it black to blend in with the gravel. What paint is safe?

Sillyfishies said:
Silicone! Duh!! I'm a DIY type of guy and know all about using silicon to glue aquariums! I think paint would be easier though and I could make it black to blend in with the gravel. What paint is safe?

I don't know about the paint. Maybe someone else can help with that one.

Sillyfishies said:
I might paint it or something. I just heard pleco LOVE pvcs. And if he takes the PVC he isn't taking one of the caves.

If you do decide to paint anything you are adding to an aquarium, make sure the paint is aquarium safe. Krylon paint is about all I would trust using.

Hi! I wanted to show you my pvc cave. Here I've made a base coat of play sand. Then I've used GE Silicone I to secure those river rocks. Its a big hit with my fish!

ForumRunner_20120718_081437.jpg

christine2012 said:
Hi! I wanted to show you my pvc cave. Here I've made a base coat of play sand. Then I've used GE Silicone I to secure those river rocks. Its a big hit with my fish!

That's perfect!!!! Exactly what I was referring to when I suggested it!!!! +1 christine2012!!!!

Hey its no problem! It is the reason I shared after all! Just a tip, when cutting pvc, you will want to take the very bottom off and the cut the back bottom side at like a 45 degree angle. It helps it sit at an angle. I bought those rocks at target for like $3 for a whole bucket! They are vase rocks but they are natural river rocks. Another tip, give the rocks a light sanding. They are typically really smooth and silicone tacks better when there's something to hold onto.

Sure! The smaller gravel will probably take a little longer but it will match better. They have different sizes of pvc too. This one is just a standard size.

Umm guys help? I had a sick fishy so I was doing a water change and the canopy dropped against the wall and the stand. Also the light dropped in the water so I quickly got it out and turned off the light. It flickered then went out. WHAT DO I DO?!?!

christine2012 said:

This is the oneI was referring to as having seen earlier on a different thread. Lol you did a great job I have a feeling your idea will get used allot. I know I am going to use it too!

Sillyfishies said:
Umm guys help? I had a sick fishy so I was doing a water change and the canopy dropped against the wall and the stand. Also the light dropped in the water so I quickly got it out and turned off the light. It flickered then went out. WHAT DO I DO?!?!

Sit it to the side and let it dry out. Do not try to relight it till completely dry. I dropped one of my hoods in the tank before after it died out good it works just fine. Lucky you or your fish were not injured, good luck to you.

Oh no! Next time, do NOT reach in there and get it! Just go straight to the breaker and shut the outlet off. I shocked myself in my early fiahkeeping days doing tthat. Scared the life out of me! Just let it dry out, should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom