Tank swap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tracie6283

Aquarium Advice Freak
Swapped our cichlids to a 75. Finished product. They are so happy!

Attachments

• image-1067698110.jpg
    image-1067698110.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 219
  • image-1878582794.jpg
    image-1878582794.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 222
  • image-1609867489.jpg
    image-1609867489.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 209
Like more rocks higher? Or just more caves for them?

When stacking rocks in my mbuna tanks I shoot for 2/3rd the height of the tank, allowing for cracks and crevices in the rocks. More often than not a fish will back into a crack you wouldn't have dreamt they would fit in.

if it were me i would make mor cave by making them higher. i went camping awhile ago and saved a bunch of money for slate rock

Look's Good! what are them Black Rock's?? the bigger one's

Somethingclever said:
So if i take random rocks from outside and put them in my tank the fish will be ok?

Sterilize them first and see if they're non reactive by doing the acid test

Somethingclever said:
How should i steralize them and what is the acid test? Sorry i'm kinda new at this :(

I soak mine in bleach then boil them, and also I pour a small amount of any to see if they bubble or not, if it bubbles then it has calcium( or some mineral, forgot which), but If it has calcium in it, I believe it'll raise your water hardness, anyone feel free to correct me

shadowstars123 said:
I soak mine in bleach then boil them, and also I pour a small amount of any to see if they bubble or not, if it bubbles then it has calcium( or some mineral, forgot which), but If it has calcium in it, I believe it'll raise your water hardness, anyone feel free to correct me

I think he means small amount of vinegar?

How long do you soak/boil them for? Thanks a lot for your help!

Look's Good! what are them Black Rock's?? the bigger one's

they where listed at the local "load and go" as rainbow cobblers. they came in a big bulk bin and i just sorted through them to find the darkest they had. you can buy them by the ton or the bucket. sorry i cant be more specific than that. also they are smooth on the outside but when i took my hammer and the days frustrations out on them they had a nice velvety texture to them... well if rocks could have a velvet texture.

How long do you soak/boil them for? Thanks a lot for your help!

i took my handy little hammer out again and broke them down into what you see now. i took malt vinegar and pored it on the the fresh surface of the break. the acid in the vinegar will react with the alkaline elements of the rock... ie limestone. but since it was going into the cichlid tank its a free back yard ph buffer. or at least thats what my research told me. ive have since read that white vinegar is the stuff you want to use not malt... hey its was all i had on hand.

i also read that i had to sterilize them... sooo in the oven on 200-250 for 3 hours and let them cool to the touch. washed them off one more time in cold water to bring the core temp down and in the tank they went.

See i tried ggogling this info about rocks... I got some rocks from a local rock and patio place and i just washed em off... Is this going to kill my tank???

Back
Top Bottom