Taotronics 120w led on a 30g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can I keep one of these on a 3foot 30 gallon tank that's mostly sps? Im looking into upgrading and these sound nice. I've also found a dimmable version, are they any good and are they controller compatible? Thanks!

Not sure if they are controller compatible or not, but I would think the dimmable versions would be. You definitely want to be able to dim it though as I doubt you would need at at full power. I believe Carey (user here) keeps one on a smallish tank. You might pm her and see what her experience with it is. I know she runs some controllers, but not sure if that particular tank has a controller on it.

Oh alright I'll get around to talking to her.

Do you think I'll get enough exposure everywhere on a 3 ft tank?

I think so... you may need to mount it a bit higher. I think usually I see recommendations for 1 for each 24", but members like Doug have had great success, and I think he is closer to 1 per 36" on his huge tank.

Yep I was reading his thread. I'll go with the dimmable one and then I'm going to get the apex lite. Or maybe the reef keeper lite, do you think they'll have a Mobile app at some point? I think theyll have to to keep up with the competition.

I talked to her but she doesn't have the dimmable version. I think I'll spend the extra 20$ just to be safe so it doesn't fry my tank.

I think that is a wise choice.

I am running LEDs on my new tank and actually have them set below 50% right now. I like having that functionality.

When I had the led's over my 20g with corals it was too too much for them so I would recommend going with the dimmable ones if you can.

Is there a link for these leds that you guys are talking about?

Sorry for not responding, for some reason it said that there were no unread posts here. I'll post the link in a few minutes. You can tell if there is too much light by seeing how the corals are reacting krocky, I saw that you had no corals, so it's all aesthetics for you right now. Signs of it being too bright are bleached tips and closed corals.

Needmorecowbell :
I do have corals;
Hammer coral, bubble coral, anthelia's, Xenia, GSP, zoa's, Kenya tree and some I haven't ID yet .I will try posting the pics on my thread.

Lunchbox209-
I want to get the same lights too in a month or so. Plz do a review of your experience once your receive yours.

Heera said:
Needmorecowbell :
I do have corals;
Hammer coral, bubble coral, anthelia's, Xenia, GSP, zoa's, Kenya tree and some I haven't ID yet .I will try posting the pics on my thread.

Lunchbox209-
I want to get the same lights too in a month or so. Plz do a review of your experience once your receive yours.

I'm sorry, I meant someone else, I thought I edited my post to say krocky but I might not have.

Heera said:
Needmorecowbell :
I do have corals;

Lunchbox209-

Might be a while before I actually purchase them

Well, I'll probably be getting them when the next bidding starts as long as the price doesn't get too high. This one ends in 4 hours and he starts a new bidding right after.

I took a look at a sight called alibaba.com, which is a bulk supplier of things. They sell them for 140$ but you have to buy 3 min. That means for each single fixture they make ~30$! Thats pretty good profit for not having to do anything but keep them in your garage!

Back
Top Bottom