The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey bruins, Sorry about your loss. I agree, this doesn't add up. Its always sad when a fish dies.

I haven't seen you online in a while! Why does it seem like you have the worst bad luck? I'm sorry about your ram, and all the issues with the co2 and the cloudy water. Man, that really sucks lol

Thanks guys :)

Unfortunately school has consumed me. Teachers don't like it when you have a social life and prefer to give you a crazy curriculum with no time for anything. :ermm:

Checking water quality right now. Doing a WC tomorrow.

Thanks guys :)

Unfortunately school has consumed me. Teachers don't like it when you have a social life and prefer to give you a crazy curriculum with no time for anything. :ermm:

Checking water quality right now. Doing a WC tomorrow.

Amen my brother. Amen. Currently dealing with 4 page essay on magnitudes or whatever...

Im sorry about the problems bruins!! I wish i knew how to help!

(lets keep this on topic guys!:))

sorry, just had to. i didnt read about the cloudy water... could possibly be powderized fish remains... caused ammonia or nitrite spike posssibly, then sucked up filter, then finally completely vanquished by your PWCs...

Well water quality was in check, only thing weird was 40 ppm nitrates so I'm at a loss...

The tank has cleared up a lot more. I think it's time for a video. When I get a decent quality one, I will post one.

I also am constantly replanting and trimming rotala and am ending up throwing them all out, so I might consider selling/shipping them. We'll see :)

And then the bad news...

My guppies died.

I found them this afternoon. Both had their tails nipped really badly, so bad they didn't even have tails. And what sucks is that when I buried them in the backyard, my dog found it and tried to eat it.

Why do my fish die on me....

Well. At least options for stocking. Even though all I want right now is no fish and have this tank be stable again.

(sigh)

I think I need to take a break for a bit.

I agree bro. Just take a break

As for the guppies, i know exactly how you feel. I have found my sisters' nipped so badly that they have no tails at all. Its weird. I think they ecome weak then the tetras gang up on them.

My ram isnt doing well either..

And my plants all have diatom..

This stinks! I guess this is a bad time for fw 40 breeders..

Gboy66 said:
I agree bro. Just take a break

As for the guppies, i know exactly how you feel. I have found my sisters' nipped so badly that they have no tails at all. Its weird. I think they ecome weak then the tetras gang up on them.

My ram isnt doing well either..

And my plants all have diatom..

This stinks! I guess this is a bad time for fw 40 breeders..

Oh no. I'm sorry to hear about that! :(

I know. Rams. I could try another one but I don't really want to.

Diatoms go away. Hang in there. Sometimes my fish ate them. :)

Ah, this is my fault.

i know where you're at. i've got a bad algae problem... for rams... maybe try a bolivian?

Sorry about your guppies. Other fish sure do love those long tails!
I don't remember, did you ever get the pearl gouramis you had been talking about, or they just something you were considering?
I have been having an issue with diatoms myself for awhile now. It stinks, but there are worse things.

Another Update! :)

So I've been researching plants that I'd want for the tank. So far I have java fern, anubias, rotala indica, myrio and some species of smaller hygro in my tank. I do not have the correct lighting for these plants unfortunately but thankfully my tank is by a window sill so sunlight helps them flourish a bit. I wanted to add these plants to my tank, along with these.
As a Carpet Effect:
-java moss?
-glossotigma?
-christmas moss?

i personally like dwarf hairgrass for carpets

Fish are so much trouble! Im considering not even putting fish in my next tank.
Hahaha you're funny :) But then what's the point of calling it a tank? I would just have a garden with a bunch of plants, what fun is that?
i know where you're at. i've got a bad algae problem... for rams... maybe try a bolivian?
I think I'm going to stop with the rams.
Sorry about your guppies. Other fish sure do love those long tails!
I don't remember, did you ever get the pearl gouramis you had been talking about, or they just something you were considering?
I have been having an issue with diatoms myself for awhile now. It stinks, but there are worse things.
I finally got permission to order a few for my tank, we'll see how it goes! Hopefully it'll be okay. The diatoms have been going away, although they seem to be sticking around.

The tank is doing okay. I think the problem with my CO2 is that it's on for too long. I don't turn it off at night, and leave it running 24/7, which according to the lady at the pet store is bad because you can have excess CO2 since plants release CO2 at night and you'll get yeast muck (which proved to be true). Was she right? Anyway, I've decided to try dosing in increments, so I'm letting it run one day and then turning it off for three days. Sounds like a good idea?

I will post you pics as soon as I can. The tank looks really nice now :)

I think the problem with my CO2 is that it's on for too long. I don't turn it off at night, and leave it running 24/7, which according to the lady at the pet store is bad because you can have excess CO2 since plants release CO2 at night and you'll get yeast muck (which proved to be true).

No, that's not true. Unless your DIY CO2 bottle is coming seeping into your tank, you're not going to have this issue (and there are very basic modifications that you can do to prevent this). The only real risk that 24/7 CO2 poses is if CO2 levels rise to toxic levels at night, which would be unlikely with a DIY setup.

The staggered CO2 idea is probably a pretty bad idea actually. Inconsistent CO2 can lead to BBA and other algae. When plants grow to expect CO2 and then don't get it, algae can come in and tank advantage of the situation.

Hey!! Welcome baccckkk!
No, that's not true. Unless your DIY CO2 bottle is coming seeping into your tank, you're not going to have this issue (and there are very basic modifications that you can do to prevent this). The only real risk that 24/7 CO2 poses is if CO2 levels rise to toxic levels at night, which would be unlikely with a DIY setup.

The staggered CO2 idea is probably a pretty bad idea actually. Inconsistent CO2 can lead to BBA and other algae. When plants grow to expect CO2 and then don't get it, algae can come in and tank advantage of the situation.

Okay, I'll put it back on 24/7.

Do you have any idea how I could avoid the cloudiness, if it comes back again? I don't really like doing PWCS every day to get rid of it. :p

Hey bro! Good to see ya:)

Lets see some pics. I got some rotala indica and i love it..

Do you have a 'burp' container for your DIY CO2? A second container set up such that any fluid that comes out of your yeast solution gets traped in their, but the gas is allowed to escape?

Back
Top Bottom