The Nursery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just did a 5g PWC and found 1 shrimp. [emoji26]

But on the up side I am lousy with baby mystery snails! IMG_9859.jpgIMG_9860.jpgIMG_9858.jpgIMG_9861.jpg

Poly filter check and it looks tan with a tint of orange??IMG_0040.jpg

Anyone else see orange or am i imaging things?

Maybe a bit of iron in the water from the lava rock I suspect.

No sign of the last shrimp or the fry....oh well. Lots of snails to keep me happy.

Look like normal organic with a hint of iron.

Sorry to hear about the last of the shrimp.

Maybe. One time I had a crash all shrimp dead or so I thought. Later I ended up with 2 or 3 and had lots of unique babies from the couple survivors.

Thanks Autumn. I'm gonna try and be patient and wait a few months and introduce shrimp again. If the ones in my main tank don't reproduce I will hit Craigslist for the $1 shrimp listings.

Snails really have some beautiful coloration. Is that a glass apparatus to hold the veggies to the bottom? Sorry to hear about the shrimp fatalities. Thanks for posting up that info on bdbs.

I target feed my tanks if it is something like a big wafer or veggie. The small glass dish keeps it from dissolving into the sand. The glass pendant has silicon bands to secure the food and a fishing line to lower it into the tank so I don't have to put my hands in. IMG_0406.jpg

O wow I have never seen those before. Did you get them custom made or buy them on the interweb?

eBay for the pendants. IMG_0445.jpg

Drug store for the silicone bands.

And the thrift store for the little glass dishes.

PWC and vacuum today. Tossed in a wafer.

40 of these are being delivered tomorrow and shipping more off on Tuesday. All the big guys are going so the little ones can hog the food and grow up big and beautiful. IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

I put one male shrimp in the tank today. Let's see how he does.

Fingers crossed for your shrimp!
Also, how many baby snails do you have? Judging by the photos I'd say a lot! They look very happy munching on their wafer.

I'd guess a few hundred. I have some in my main tank too. They do great clean up when first hatched.

The only reason I have any shrimp was pure chance. When I moved young Khuli's from this tank to my main one I accidentally caught some shrimp while catching Khuli's. One was female! The fish in there are keeping the survival rate low on the shrimplettes, but some are good at hiding and I have about 10 now. Which is what I started with last October. But I won't move them back into the nursery until that one Shrimp manages to survive 2-4 weeks. Being very cautious.

Goodness, that's a lot of snails! Talk about a cuteness overload. And they are great at cleanup... one baby snail you sent me did the same amount work my lazy nerites did in a week in a day!
I think being cautious is a good idea. But here's to hoping all goes well and the snails in that tank can have some shrimp buddies.

The snailsplosion was the reason for setting up the tank. I really didn't think that many would survive. And my main tank was covered in them. Lol

If you don't want to deal with babies just remove the egg clutches.

Last edited:
With mine it's seasonal. Spring. I suspect your noobs will lay clutches next spring.

Back
Top Bottom