The Old World with New World Debate Rages On

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry you've been in the hobby for 30yrs and still in denial of evolution. Do all animals not develop very specific adaptations that are directly a result of their environment, AND with the other animals they evolve with?
Stop perpetuating the cycle of new fish keepers to mix and match aggressively territorial cichlids from different continents (totally different environments and fish behavior)

You said they can exist together. Sure maybe till their adolescence, but probably stressed up until the bloodbath.

Wow way off topic, no logical facts, evidence or even a logical argument. Not even going to address this, thanks for playing. But good example of the rhetoric I was referring to.

You tell me exactly what species of fish and why they cant co exist and then maybe we have something.

Interestingly enough there is an Auratus in the picture. If FreakGecko stated JD's shouldn't be mixed Auratus because Auratus are extremely aggressive and will compete for the same areas of the tank as the Jack and have different diets. That would have been more accurate and informative. It doesn't have to be long to be informative and correct. I would have stated agreed and moved on.

Personally, I don't think Auratus should be mixed with any other species period - no matter what continent they are from, but that is just my opinion. So are you telling us that you think the Aci and the Electric yellow are ok with the Jacks? FG made the comment specifically about the aquarium, and you yourself have stated several times that you don't advocate mixing mbuna with New World Cichlids. The vast majority of the questions and posts are exactly that; mixing mbuna of some type with New World Cichlids. Most people also do not keep only one JD, most keep multiples, and thus for the reasons we already stated, even that is an ok situation only in the right conditions/situation. In other words, regardless of similarities in water chemistry, you can't keep a group of JDs with a group of haps because of behavior/territorial issues that result from pair-bonding. Therefore, you might keep a single JD with a group of haps, but only if its a single JD? So why tell people that it can be done?

In other words, you are advocating for the exception to the rule, rather than the general rule itself. There are always exceptions to every rule, but look at any of the advice being offered on the forums - its generally the rule, not the exception. Can I set-up a self-sustaining aquarium that will maintain itself indefinitely, is a classic example. The debate of housing Old Worlds with New Worlds is the same type of discussion. Even GBR and Kribs, which I believe was one of your examples, is only going to work till the fish mature and start breeding. Many people advocate success because they are keeping juveniles, rather than adults. For the vast majority of people asking the questions on the forum, the rule stands. And actually I said it could be done in my first post, if you read it carefully, by someone who has done the research and knows what they are doing. Most people like that are not going to be posting up a question asking if it can be done.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think Auratus should be mixed with any other species period - no matter what continent they are from, but that is just my opinion. I agree Auratus shouldn't be mixed with anything. That was just an example of how it doesn't need to be complicated. Sorry if I muddied the waters with that one. So are you telling us that you think the Aci and the Electric yellow are ok with the Jacks? Nope never said that if you look back earlier in the thread I said mbunas should not be mixed FG made the comment specifically about the aquarium, and you yourself have stated several times that you don't advocate mixing mbuna with New World Cichlids. Again never advocated mixing mbuna with JDThe vast majority of the questions and posts are exactly that; mixing mbuna of some type with New World Cichlids. True and they should be addressed as such Most people also do not keep only one JD, most keep multiples, and thus for the reasons we already stated, even that is an ok situation only in the right conditions/situation.Bad assumption I only keep 1 and from what I have seen a majority only keep one. When you get into multiples you get more into aggression issues In other words, regardless of similarities in water chemistry, you can't keep a group of JDs with a group of haps because of behavior/territorial issues that result from pair-bonding.Agreed already stated a pair would not work you should have seen that in my previous post so I don't understand why you using this as an argument Therefore, you might keep a single JD with a group of haps, but only if its a single JD? So why tell people that it can be done? because it can a singe JD can be kept with a group of peacocks, that is what started this whole thing

In other words, you are advocating for the exception to the rule, rather than the general rule itself. There are always exceptions to every rule, but look at any of the advice being offered on the forums - its generally the rule, not the exception. No the rule is wrong as it stands there are more than jsut a few exceptions.Can I set-up a self-sustaining aquarium that will maintain itself indefinitely, is a classic example. This is a different argument and the answer should be it is possible but typically no, nothing can survive indefinitely with out maintenance. However if you are interested in a self sustaining tank you will need to do a lot of research people have tried it and have journaled resultsThe debate of housing Old Worlds with New Worlds is the same type of discussion.I disagree different argument Even GBR and Kribs, which I believe was one of your examples, is only going to work till the fish mature and start breeding. Are you speaking breading age or actual breeding? I already addressed the breeding issue. But with these two specific species even when breeding if they are in the right size tank it would still work Many people advocate success because they are keeping juveniles, rather than adults.Agreed, but I am discussing adults For the vast majority of people asking the questions on the forum, the rule stands. And actually I said it could be done in my first post, if you read it carefully, by someone who has done the research and knows what they are doing. Most people like that are not going to be posting up a question asking if it can be doneThen what are we debating for? We both believe it can be done. Now our job is to provide accurate information when asked not throughout a blanket statement that it cant be done unless it truly cant be done with those fish. Again I say educate. People with no experience at all are repeating this line and have no idea why.

You had a whole lot to say so I thought best to answer in your quote :)

You let me know, but I think that would conclude the debate. We both agree that it can be done certain species of both continents can be mixed in the right conditions (which goes for keeping any two fish together).

The only thing we have to figure out is do we still use the inaccurate blanket statement that mixing new world and old world can't be done? Or do we choose to spend the time to educate people on the fish they are inquiring about?

PS I honestly enjoyed this :) one of the most thought out responses I have seen on here, thanks.

Wow looks like I've made quiet a few mistakes....... Best get to fixing them

Hope you don't feel like we are picking on you specifically, not trying to. Just happens to be your aquarium that got caught up in the can of worms.

The only thing we have to figure out is do we still use the inaccurate blanket statement that mixing new world and old world can't be done? Or do we choose to spend the time to educate people on the fish they are inquiring about?

PS I honestly enjoyed this :) one of the most thought out responses I have seen on here, thanks.

As have I :thanks:, but as you pointed out, the crux of this debate comes down to the blanket statement. I would argue it is the same debate as that for self-sustaining aquariums. The fact of the matter is that self-sustaining aquariums can be done, long term with success, if they are set-up correctly. So to say it can't ever be done is an inaccurate blanket statement. Why do we use it? For two reasons; one, most people who ask the question aren't at a point in their aquarium-keeping skills to be able to do it, and two, those who might be, don't want to take the time to write the book that it would take to explain how it can be done. Another common example would be undergravel filters. Lots of people say, "they are junk, they are nothing but nitrate traps that don't work at all." Again, an incorrect blanket statement, but one worth taking the time to point out the errors in?

So maybe the better way to say it would be, "its generally not considered good practice to mix Africans with New World," but if I do that, then when the OP asks why, I have to explain. That takes a whole lot more time and effort than simply saying, "it can't be done." In the majority of cases, for the majority of those questions, it is the correct statement.

Last edited:
As have I :thanks:, but as you pointed out, the crux of this debate comes down to the blanket statement. I would argue it is the same debate as that for self-sustaining aquariums. The fact of the matter is that self-sustaining aquariums can be done, long term with success, if they are set-up correctly. So to say it can't ever be done is an inaccurate blanket statement. Why do we use it? For two reasons; one, most people who ask the question aren't at a point in their aquarium-keeping skills to be able to do it, and two, those who might be, don't want to take the time to write the book that it would take to explain how it can be done. Another common example would be undergravel filters. Lots of people say, "they are junk, they are nothing but nitrate traps that don't work at all." Again, an incorrect blanket statement, but one worth taking the time to point out the errors in?

So maybe the better way to say it would be, "its generally not considered good practice to mix Africans with New World," but if I do that, then when the OP asks why, I have to explain. That takes a whole lot more time and effort than simply saying, "it can't be done." In the majority of cases, for the majority of those questions, it is the correct statement.

with the self sustaining tank I would never say it cant be done because who knows what someone resources are.But I will say it is nearly impossible unless you have allot resources. GodFan is attempting this as we speak do I think it will succeed, NO. But I gave my two cents and I hope he does succeed. If someone is attempting something like that than I will never say is can't be done because that is how discoveries are made.

"its generally not considered good practice to mix Africans with New World," but if I do that, then when the OP asks why, I have to explain I agree 100% with that statement and that sentiment. I think it will make people more knowledgeable in the long wrong. I also think it will elicit a response. A new person that wants to know will have to ask why and someone that wouldn't listen to the response anyways wont ask.

And I would like to thank u both I have been following this and have found it very educational you have both stated your arguments well and have not let emotions become involved I applause you both

And I would like to thank u both I have been following this and have found it very educational you have both stated your arguments well and have not let emotions become involved I applause you both

:thanks: as well. Again, I'm sorry your tank happened to be the one that got caught in the can of worms, but I glad you learned something from the thread.

with the self sustaining tank I would never say it cant be done because who knows what someone resources are.But I will say it is nearly impossible unless you have allot resources. GodFan is attempting this as we speak do I think it will succeed, NO. But I gave my two cents and I hope he does succeed. If someone is attempting something like that than I will never say is can't be done because that is how discoveries are made.

"its generally not considered good practice to mix Africans with New World," but if I do that, then when the OP asks why, I have to explain I agree 100% with that statement and that sentiment. I think it will make people more knowledgeable in the long wrong. I also think it will elicit a response. A new person that wants to know will have to ask why and someone that wouldn't listen to the response anyways wont ask.

You are undoubtedly correct, however it is going to be an awful lot of work for someone LOL ;);

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/electric-yellow-jack-dempsey-296264.html

Thanks for letting us use you as a test case :D glad you learned from it as did both of us I think.

PS I don't believe ALL new and old worlds can mix. I just told a guy his Fire Mouth and mbuna would not work together. But you have to know WHY they don't work. its not a blanket statement of no fish from this continent can go with this continent. That is a large generalization.

I changed this post because I should have read the entire thread before posting :)

Peace

JD's were not meant to live with certain fish. They are highly aggressive fish. i mean come on they were named after a famous boxer!! And that fact that people are willing to experiment with their fishes lives is sick! Stop seeing them as cheap fish and expensive fish they are living things and don't deserve to be put into a living space that isn't fit. Some fish were not meant to live with other fish there are the exceptions of course that stray from the norm but to risk it is just cruel you're putting the fish's lives at risk!

JD's were not meant to live with certain fish. They are highly aggressive fish. i mean come on they were named after a famous boxer!! And that fact that people are willing to experiment with their fishes lives is sick! Stop seeing them as cheap fish and expensive fish they are living things and don't deserve to be put into a living space that isn't fit. Some fish were not meant to live with other fish there are the exceptions of course that stray from the norm but to risk it is just cruel you're putting the fish's lives at risk!

Not all JDs are highly aggressive though, just as not all firemouths, convicts et al are highly aggressive. It does depend on the fish's temperament.

Take my JDs for example. My female, before she committed suicide, was meaner than a junk yard dog. My male, a complete wuss. He is terrified of live food ever since a spawning rosey red male beat him up (the JD was 6 inches at the time by the way) and chased him out of his favorite flower pot. Now, anything that looks like a minnow he hides from. So my giant danios are completely safe. He completely refuses to eat live foods anymore except earthworms.

My firemouths: the main breeding pair were nasty buggers when spawning. I kept one of their daughters. She has her mother's temper, but they only show aggression amongst themselves. They leave everyone else alone.

My firemouths are in the same tank with my JD, some syno cats, giant danios, golden dojo loaches, and clown loaches. It's a 120g.

So again, a general blanket can't be thrown down over cichlids, yet it can be. Yes generally JD cichlids are highly aggressive BUT like us humans, it depends on the temperament.

True but it's a risky game throwing certain fish together and to many people lack compassion for the fish and see it simply as simple fish not living things. Sure there is always the exception to the rule but too many people don't know what they are doing or don't care! Only thinking of the money lost not the lives of the fish. Do some research!

I wasnt saying for you to do research just in general people don't take the welfare if their fish as important and they need to do research on the fish they would like to keep

Oh I agree, and I know you weren't aiming that at me. :) I am one of those who when I see a fish I like, will research everything I can first, then start a tank build for it.

I have had some luck mixing certain Old World and New Worlds as well. I once had a tank of jewels, yellow labs and blue acaras. I had that tank going for about 7 years without any aggression issues before I had to tear down the tank due to moving, but it was also a 125 with lots of hiding places and I kept it lightly stocked. I also purposely picked those fish because they had the mildest tempers of the africans but still had the beauty I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom