Tiger oscar.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike4242

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tiger Oscar just started feeding on rosy reds, can't wait until he starts on comets!
Any other suggestions for live food?

Live fish have very little nutritional value for Oscars and should ultimately be fed a diet of high quality Cichlid pellets like NLS, HBH or OmegaOne.

Feeding live goldfish also increases the chances your fish can contract a disease.

Agreed.

If you do want to feed live, the best thing to do is to treat it as a treat and to also either breed your own or get them from a trusted and reputable source. This does not mean a chain store or just any local shop, unless of course, they breed their own. Even with knowing the source, there are still chances of disease.

But, there are other options of live foods. Crickets, mice (adult or pinkies), cockroaches, frogs, worms, etc. But, they all should be coming from a trusted source and all be treated as a treat.

Also, if you are breeding your own live, you should be feeding them a high quality diet, so that whatever little transfers over, will be the best possible.

Even with feeding "clean" live foods you still run the risk of to much protein in their diet. Pellets are the most balanced diet for the fish, i bet if you feed your fish NLS for a couple of weeks you will see a huge difference in the fishes colors and over all health.

Oh, of course. I'm not trying to say that live are a staple. But, if you are going to feed live, then you should do it as "clean" as possible.

NLS is a great food, though. I have seen many different fish get better color and better energy from being on this for awhile. So, highly recommended.

I feed my Oscar pellets. But I like giving it some live food to let it have a little fun. So just looking for other options than the plain old goldfish. Thanks for the suggestions

I would just stick to the pellets then, giving it to him for "fun" just increases their chance for diseases like we said but can also cause the fish to become overly aggressive.

They really don't need the addition of the live food and won't miss it.

Oh, that is another issue with live. Forgot about that.

Feeding live does have the potential for your fish to get out of being a "pet" and be more wild. So, they will lose the bond with you and you have the potential of being hurt by your fish or added stress when you have to get in there and clean.

Back
Top Bottom